Media Thread - 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

The perfect fumble

Leaving aside that I have been here for 15 years (and also that I am not entirely convinced you know what agitprop actually means), this is Bluemoon, not Rawk. Disagreement is allowed.
But bullshit gets called out.

Amnesty did not coin the phrase sports washing in relation to us, they were banging on about it at least as long ago as 2004 in relation to Formula 1 in Bahrain. As they should, that's their raison d'etre, and if it brings the issue of human rights to a wider audience, then the ends justifies the means, but we should not be blind to the fact that it is a political slight of hand, it attempts to associate human rights to sporting events and ownership, not in a direct sense, such as apartheid, where sports segregation on the field, for all to see, brought to the fore the wider segregation of South African society, but tangentially, where we are being asked to make moral judgements regarding ownership and sponsorship beyond the conduct of the sport itself.

A kind of selective ethical capitalism, where we are urged to ask moral questions, in this case about the sport we consume and the team we support, not based on the sport itself (like fox hunting), or how it is conducted (like boxing), but based on a selective interpretation of the wider ethics of the owners, an interpretation sold to us by those with a dog in the race.

I say selective and I mean selective, Mike Ashley is hated by Geordies coz he's a shit owner, not because of the appalling way he treats his work force. The Glazers are hated coz they're shit owners and siphon money out of the club, not because Utd is registered in the Cayman Islands and they don't pay their whack in tax. I buy my whisky from Amazon and don't give a thought to their workers, I eat my factory farmed eggs, wear my sweat shop T shirts.

So much exploitation! I can't select everything! And who to believe? What to choose?

No problem for you, you choose to be selective regarding City's ownership. Good for you, connect whatever dots you like, but you're not just connecting dots you're making them. Don't pretend this is anything other than your political choice and don't try peddling your bullshit as a universal given, it's not, hence my accusation of agitprop.

I've a Jaffa orange in my hand, I shouldn't have bought it, think of those poor Palestinians! Or am I being anti-Semitic? Or is it just an orange?

Last edited:

Damanino

English media has to cover our wonderful performance. Surely its not a bigger thing vs Real than the mighty Lask Linz beaten by Martial late goal...

I am sure they had articles ready with Real Madrid winning and punishing City on the pitch what CAS could not do hahaha.

johnevans

Just waiting for Clive Myrie to give out the score on BBC news amongst all the doom and gloom.
I gave thanks and praise for Clive ('may his tribe increase') Myrie on my family's/friend's WhatsApp City group as the BBC 10'o'clock news began.. surely he was the man behind our inclusion (for once) in the headlines at the start of the programme?! No one messes with Big Clive..!

Onwards and upwards, Blues.. let's get behind the lads for next Saturday against Lyon.. and let's hope Big Clive is bringing the news that night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.