Media Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some Chelsea fan friends. They are all furious that the media are fawning all over City and Pep and ignoring them in the build up to this game. I have to say I've noticed that we are very much "the" story thy is time around, like in 2012.
I don't particularly like it mate, seems like they think we'll piss it making us too over confident. 50/50 this game

Entertained by the fawning over the rags on North West news this lunchtime. They are giddy over the second rate cup final they are in ignoring the fact it didn't save Marino's job even when accompanied by tha league cup. They hailed a great season of progress under Ole, depends how you define progress finishing twelve points behind the champions in a non vintage year doesn't suggest anything to get over excited about. If they win avoid the media tomorrow or keep a sick bag handy.
Let them enjoy. Remember we're too good to qualify for Thursday cup

3 rag southerners interviewed about a bar disturbance caused by 'Polish hooligans with masks dressed in black'. Probably MIB whose accents they didn't recognise.
The Sky reporter says if it was 3 or 4 years ago in Sweden there would've been over 60,000 united fans many without tickets...blah blah blah....
Where do they get this crap from?

Ah, the co-op!
Where I lived in the 50s, the co-op dominated our high street with a butcher, a grocer, a greengrocer, a furniture store and a shoe shop. They even ran the local sub post office. Not to mention the many locals who had funeral plans with them. What an opportnity they had and let it slip through their fingers. Some people still remember their divi number; ours started 126, but I've forgotten the rest.
Ah, the co-op!
Where I lived in the 50s, the co-op dominated our high street with a butcher, a grocer, a greengrocer, a furniture store and a shoe shop. They even ran the local sub post office. Not to mention the many locals who had funeral plans with them. What an opportnity they had and let it slip through their fingers. Some people still remember their divi number; ours started 126, but I've forgotten the rest.

As a kid - and that's a hell of a long time ago - when my mum sent me to the co-op I was told every time not to forget the divi on pain of death. And I still haven't forgotten the number- 24916.

I think our owner has had much more racial abuse than any of us and in his day job he invests AD dollars world wide in most countries and most sectors of commerce and industry.

Certainly we as City supporters want those who hate and write lies etc. against us sorting out good and quick but our owners prefer a different approach.

You may be right but do you honestly think our owners are not capable of handling the abuse they continue to suffer in the way they prefer to do it?
The abuse does affect us commercially though. New York City FC's initial stadium proposal was blocked and then scrapped because of local political opposition, especially from the anti-Arab human rights lobby. CFG were forced to find another site. We don't know how many sponsor deals City may have missed because of the constant media smear campaigns. We can't just turn the other cheek when our reputation is at stake.

Last edited:
Got some Chelsea fan friends. They are all furious that the media are fawning all over City and Pep and ignoring them in the build up to this game. I have to say I've noticed that we are very much "the" story thy is time around, like in 2012.
To be fair to them, their Champions League win was overshadowed by Aguerooo and they got more ridicule over John Terry's fancy dress than praise for being the first (and so far only?) non-G14 team to win the Champions League.

That said, fuck them. They were well-positioned to speak up for what was happening at City, these last ten years but instead sided with the Old Guard.

This is a splendid post, PB, partly because it evokes memories of a whole flood of shopping trips to Cheetham Hill with my grandmother, who lived in Crumpsall, in the mid '50s but also because it nails Conn's problem. He is a golden ageist but, I suspect, only in the area of football, as you assert, correctly in my opinion. I first took issue with him in 2014, just before the League Cup final between two "grand old clubs" (though Conn never referred to either as such on that occasion), City and Sunderland. Conn had written an article bewailing many of the trends in football since he had first been a City supporter and, without saying so, he seemed to lay much of the blame exclusively at Sheikh Mansour's door. I don't remember a single mention of the Glazers or FSG or any of the impetus to change which had come from European competition. It was the determination of certain clubs to become or remain "European royalty" which had led to many of the changes he objected to most. But his view seemed to be the vey simplistic one that change had destroyed an idyllic, Corinthian world. My reply was based on the theme that time and change are never to be plotted on a straight line graph of progress or regression and that in the years since the 1970s (I think Conn's article took our "previous" League Cup final in 1976 as his starting point) there had been some massive improvements in football in England and that success for City was not necessarily a sign of decline and decay. I argued that where the football public had been let down and betrayed it was usually by UEFA, the FA and certain clubs not including City. It was not let down by Abu Dhabi or Sheikh Mansour, who had to operate in a context over which he had limited control. I'm afraid Conn has a blinkered vision which doesn't allow too much room for complexity and this is nowhere more clear that in his hiding behind the term "sports washing". So, thank you for a thought provoking (as usual!) contribution. And for stirring the memories!
PB rarely, if ever, disappoints with a post and yours was excellent too. Hats off fellas.

What Conn and his ilk forget is that 100's of thousands of game going fans of clubs all the way up and down the league see through this smear campaign. They know LFC had the most money and pick of players in the 70s/80s and that Utd stopped the away clubs getting gate receipts once they had a big stadium and lots of tourists and actually all it does is turn people off them (the silent majority). So push that narrative, and it'll soon have people arguing in bars and social clubs all over England whilst we play the long game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.