Mehdi Benatia

Manc in London said:
Shaelumstash said:
If you are suggesting Nastasic's "anticipation" as you call it isn't up to scratch, I can only assume you're either on heavy drugs, or have not watched him play. He's one of the best readers of the game in Europe, and outrageously gifted at it for his age.

He's not naturally an aggressive front foot defender so he didn't really suit our style of play last season, but he's a very talented player. I think he was our best player the season before last (possibly second after Zabba). If you don't rate him, watch the semi final against Chelsea, he was outstanding.

Not a heavy drug user but I am a season ticket holder. However, I do appreciate your kind comments. I will keep it more simple: if you disagree with me, I will just accept that you have a different opinion.

I will state again, I do not believe Nastasic is rubbish, terrible, chronic, useless etc.. My opinion is that he is not good enough for us. That may be partially be explained by the point raised by yourself and Thaksinsoldier, in that he doesn't quite suit the way we play. In my opinion, we get players who can do the best job within the system we play.

I wasn't making a comment about his ability to anticipate. I was simply trying to get the previous poster to discuss the issue sensibly by discussing Nastasic's skills and abilities. Maybe you should have read my post.

I'll be honest, I cannot even remember his performance in the semi against Chelsea as I only watched the game once, with the gods in Block 532, and I spent the last 30 or mins or so with my eyes closed thinking that we, including Milner, looked like we were shattered and were going to throw away the game. I had also had a 'few'.

His anticipation, in my eyes, appears to be good for a player his age. It was helped by our style iof play in 2012/13. We did not appear to attack in the same numbers as we had done for much of the previous season. It is easier to for defenders to anticipate correctly when the team are playing fairly cautiously. For me, anticipation is one element of decision-making. Nastasic's decision making is not one of his overall strengths. You only have to look at the needless fouls he committed in dangerous areas. On a number of occasions he has been lucky to not give a penalty away.

I would disagree that Nastasic is one of the best readers of the game in Europe. Lescott is a better reader of the game and Joleon is far from being one of the best readers of the game in Europe.

I was only kidding about the heavy drug use mate, I didn't mean to insult you, so apologies if you took it that way.

I agree that Nastasic is not suited to playing a high line like we did last season. In that system it is more suited to players who are fast, aggressive, strong, none of which are attributes of Nastasic. That is not to say he could not improve on his strength and aggression though as he develops. DeMichelis is not the quickest, but he can play in that system because he's aggressive and reads the game well.

I am absolutely shocked to say the least that you think Lescott is a better reader of the game than Nastasic. I rated Lescott in our title winning season. He was poor last season though, again I think because his style didn't suit the way we played. He obviously has a woeful lack of pace so gets exposed when playing high up. He is strong and aggressive though, but the reason DeMichelis looked so much better than him is because Lescott isn't a great reader of the game, he relies on his physicality to out muscle players.

Obviously football is about opinions, but I've honestly not seen a 20 year old who reads the games as well as Nastasic since Maldini. He's that intelligent as a footballer for me. Again decision making is about personal opinion, but Nastasic always tries to retain possession, doesn't just hoof the ball long / out for a throw in. He's absolutely superb at picking a sharp, incisive pass in to midfield. His decision making is superb for a possession based team, and I really struggle to see how you could think differently? Perhaps you prefer the old fashioned "Better out than nowt" "Get it in row Z" style of defending. That's not for me.

I agree he made some silly fouls last year, but again I think that's down to him struggling to adapt to the new system. He needs to get to grips with it, but I would certainly not be writing him off yet.

You say it's easier to look good in a team that plays deep, but I think it depends on the player. Different players are suited to different styles, but I agree Nastasic looks far more comfortable playing deep. That doesn't make him a bad player. I didn't see Nesta and Cannavaro pushing up to the half way line and flying in to challenges very often, they stayed deep and defended, and they are the two best centre halves I've ever seen.

Thaksinssoldier said:
People keep going on about Nasty. He's not made for Pellers system, thats the harsh truth of it. Looks great with a Barry or Nige in front of him, but Pellers wants our centre half pairing joining up with the attacking midfielders more and more. This is why MDM got the nod ahead of Nasty, and its why we're in the market for a ball playing defender.

That's nonsense to be honest. Nasty is well capable of playing in the system, he's confident on the ball (picked ahead of Lescott because of this), he can read the game very well for his age and he's got plenty of room for improvement. You're saying he looks good with a Nigel De Jong in front of him yet De Jong left for AC Milan the same month that Nastasic signed for City?? And I don't think Pellegrini wants BOTH centre halfs to join Silva and Nasri in attack hahaha what's the point in having centre backs if they're going to join in on attacks, silly statement!

Shaelumstash said:
I was only kidding about the heavy drug use mate, I didn't mean to insult you, so apologies if you took it that way.

Hahah No worries.

I am absolutely shocked to say the least that you think Lescott is a better reader of the game than Nastasic. I rated Lescott in our title winning season. He was poor last season though, again I think because his style didn't suit the way we played. He obviously has a woeful lack of pace so gets exposed when playing high up. He is strong and aggressive though, but the reason DeMichelis looked so much better than him is because Lescott isn't a great reader of the game, he relies on his physicality to out muscle players.

I never thought Lescott was a great reader of the game. Not at all. On the contrary. I was trying, badly, to make the point that Lescott is, at the very least, as good at reading the game as Nastasic, at this point in time. Fair enough, Nastasic is young and this part of his game will develop, you would think, but my point is that I don't believe he is one of the best defenders in Europe at reading the game. He's certainly better at reading the game than a lot of other young centre-halves I have watched over the years.

Obviously football is about opinions, but I've honestly not seen a 20 year old who reads the games as well as Nastasic since Maldini. He's that intelligent as a footballer for me. Again decision making is about personal opinion, but Nastasic always tries to retain possession, doesn't just hoof the ball long / out for a throw in. He's absolutely superb at picking a sharp, incisive pass in to midfield. His decision making is superb for a possession based team, and I really struggle to see how you could think differently? Perhaps you prefer the old fashioned "Better out than nowt" "Get it in row Z" style of defending. That's not for me.

No, fella. I cannot stand watching defenders 'hoof' the ball. Nastasic's passing is good and he is confident with the ball at his feet. Much more so than the usual standard of centre-half we produce in England. IMO, he is streets ahead of Lescott in that regard. Although for much of the game against Barca (away), Lescott resembled Beckenbauer (defensive mess-up that led to Barca goal aside). :)

I agree he made some silly fouls last year, but again I think that's down to him struggling to adapt to the new system. He needs to get to grips with it, but I would certainly not be writing him off yet.

Regarding Nastasic's decision-making, I think he needs to cut the rashness out of his game. To me this rashness was obvious last season, less so the year before. I am not sure why. Maybe you are right that it is to do with the new system. It's the first thing I thought. It makes sense. However, regardless of system and scenario he is faced with, he has retain calmness and composure and be more resilient.

You say it's easier to look good in a team that plays deep, but I think it depends on the player. Different players are suited to different styles, but I agree Nastasic looks far more comfortable playing deep. That doesn't make him a bad player. I didn't see Nesta and Cannavaro pushing up to the half way line and flying in to challenges very often, they stayed deep and defended, and they are the two best centre halves I've ever seen.

He is undoubtedly a talented footballer. I appreciate he looks more comfortable playing closer to the penalty area. Alan Hansen said the other day that the difference in the standard of his own performances when playing high up the pitch, compared to playing deep, varied considerably. Some suit different systems more than others, I accept that, and neither does it make someone 'bad' for only being able to play one particular way.

Cannavaro and Nesta better than Baresi? We will never agree about centre-halves :)

i♥city! said:
Nastasic is still a kid . Judge him in 3 or 4 seasons from now although i believe he would've proved all you doubters wrong by then.
That doesn't matter on bluemoon mate. Thiago Silva was playing in Russia when he was 24 now he's one of the best in the world.

Nastasic is 21.

mcfc2607 said:
i♥city! said:
Nastasic is still a kid . Judge him in 3 or 4 seasons from now although i believe he would've proved all you doubters wrong by then.
That doesn't matter on bluemoon mate. Thiago Silva was playing in Russia when he was 24 now he's one of the best in the world.

Nastasic is 21.

Aye. Player makes a good pass in the World Cup -> sign him!

Player is admired by Europe's top scouts but isn't starting for national team -> overrated, terrible footballer.

Nastasic is very advanced for his age and better than many of the world's best were at the same age. We'd do well to hold on to him and see how he develops in the next few years.

Manc in London said:
Shaelumstash said:

Hahah No worries.

I never thought Lescott was a great reader of the game. Not at all. On the contrary. I was trying, badly, to make the point that Lescott is, at the very least, as good at reading the game as Nastasic, at this point in time. Fair enough, Nastasic is young and this part of his game will develop, you would think, but my point is that I don't believe he is one of the best defenders in Europe at reading the game. He's certainly better at reading the game than a lot of other young centre-halves I have watched over the years.

No, fella. I cannot stand watching defenders 'hoof' the ball. Nastasic's passing is good and he is confident with the ball at his feet. Much more so than the usual standard of centre-half we produce in England. IMO, he is streets ahead of Lescott in that regard. Although for much of the game against Barca (away), Lescott resembled Beckenbauer (defensive mess-up that led to Barca goal aside). :)

Regarding Nastasic's decision-making, I think he needs to cut the rashness out of his game. To me this rashness was obvious last season, less so the year before. I am not sure why. Maybe you are right that it is to do with the new system. It's the first thing I thought. It makes sense. However, regardless of system and scenario he is faced with, he has retain calmness and composure and be more resilient.

He is undoubtedly a talented footballer. I appreciate he looks more comfortable playing closer to the penalty area. Alan Hansen said the other day that the difference in the standard of his own performances when playing high up the pitch, compared to playing deep, varied considerably. Some suit different systems more than others, I accept that, and neither does it make someone 'bad' for only being able to play one particular way.

Cannavaro and Nesta better than Baresi? We will never agree about centre-halves :)

Again, reading the game is so subjective that it's down to opinion. For me Nastasic is absolutely streets ahead of Lescott at reading the game. He would be a brilliant sweeper if anyone still played like that.

Baresi is probably the best defender of all time, I'm with you on that. But I saw a lot more of Nesta and Cannavaro so feel more qualified to use them as the standard to judge others against.

Cannavaro is remembered as the best of the modern era, but I personally thought Nesta was better. Going in to the 2006 World Cup they were considered on a par, but then Nesta got injured and didn't play and Cannavaro won player of the tournament. History is written by the winners so they say.

Incidentally, Nastasic has the most similar style to Nesta I've seen since he retired, maybe that's why I've got a soft spot for him.

i♥city! said:
He also spent a huge amount of time injured last season. It took Demichelis - who played under Pellegrini numerous times in the past, who played at the top level in Europe for nine years - four months to start playing well for us and that was with playing game-in-game-out (for a time he was dreadful!). I don't think Nastasić got to play three games in a row once all season.

He was my POTS the year before last, better than the world's best centre back Vincent Kompany. The lad is class! Just needs proper settling in time to Pellegrini's systems.

KippaxCitizen said:
city!" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
icity! said:
He also spent a huge amount of time injured last season. It took Demichelis - who played under Pellegrini numerous times in the past, who played at the top level in Europe for nine years - four months to start playing well for us and that was with playing game-in-game-out (for a time he was dreadful!). I don't think Nastasić got to play three games in a row once all season.

He was my POTS the year before last, better than the world's best centre back Vincent Kompany. The lad is class! Just needs proper settling in time to Pellegrini's systems.

Top post Blue.

KippaxCitizen said:
i♥city! said:

His performance against RM in the bernabeu . Not a single mistake from him that day and he was just 19 at the time. Anyway lets stick to discussing Benatia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.