Melbourne City FC Thread

Oh that's not really the same.

Our problem in my uninformed opinion is more this obsession with playing the "city way" (whatever that means). CFG have a clear idea on how we should play the game but in a capped League with at least half the XI locals the skill is just not there. I really don't blame Valkanis he is basically doing what he has been instructed, but to me it's a flawed system.

Now this is in now way intended to bag CFG what they have done down here is phenomenal it's just they need to come up with a new system that suits our obvious limitations down here. Weather that fits their model is another question. And without knowing alot of the goings on in NY I suspect the same applies to them.

I disagree that Valkanis is playing the 'city way'.

He has adopted a far more conservative style of play than JVS did. To begin with, Brandan hasn't got a sniff of late. I also think the team is hamstrung by Cahill. Marquee player yes, fits in with the style of play, no. I actually think the team would be far better balanced if they lined up as follows.

Brandan Fornaroli Kamau
Brattan Kilkenny Colazo

Defence is much of a muchness really, but you could easily put Colazo at left back, and replace him with Caceres in the midfield.

Apart from his aerial threat from set pieces, Cahill does not offer much else.

I disagree that Valkanis is playing the 'city way'.

He has adopted a far more conservative style of play than JVS did. To begin with, Brandan hasn't got a sniff of late. I also think the team is hamstrung by Cahill. Marquee player yes, fits in with the style of play, no. I actually think the team would be far better balanced if they lined up as follows.

Brandan Fornaroli Kamau
Brattan Kilkenny Colazo

Defence is much of a muchness really, but you could easily put Colazo at left back, and replace him with Caceres in the midfield.

Apart from his aerial threat from set pieces, Cahill does not offer much else.

I guees what I'm implying with the city way is being a possession based side going out to dominate games and teams with having the majority of the ball.

With our fast players Brandan and Kamau and a lesser extent Fitzgerald this style doesn't suit. I agree that Valkanis is far more conservative in his few games compared to JVS and his non selection of Brandan is mind blowing.
I think we can play Cahill and Fornaroli in tandem which isn't a popular choice but we need someone more creative in the middle. A simple 442. Brattan and Kilkenny are too similar and it doesn't help Brattan has been poor of late. I also think Caceres isn't the answer but looking at what's available we are pretty limited in that attacking creative midfield role. Maybe Arzani of Genereau could be tried but that's pretty much a longshot.
Whatever style were playing at you want to call its boring. Not sure how long Valkanis can continue if things stay the same.

I guees what I'm implying with the city way is being a possession based side going out to dominate games and teams with having the majority of the ball.

With our fast players Brandan and Kamau and a lesser extent Fitzgerald this style doesn't suit. I agree that Valkanis is far more conservative in his few games compared to JVS and his non selection of Brandan is mind blowing.
I think we can play Cahill and Fornaroli in tandem which isn't a popular choice but we need someone more creative in the middle. A simple 442. Brattan and Kilkenny are too similar and it doesn't help Brattan has been poor of late. I also think Caceres isn't the answer but looking at what's available we are pretty limited in that attacking creative midfield role. Maybe Arzani of Genereau could be tried but that's pretty much a longshot.
Whatever style were playing at you want to call its boring. Not sure how long Valkanis can continue if things stay the same.

Brandan and Kamau very much fit the mould of the 'city way'. Look at how City set up this morning against West Ham - A fluid, fast, interchangeable front three. The A league equivalent of that is Brandan, Fornaroli, and Kamau. Valkanis, most likely, is playing conservatively because he wants the job full time, and is more interested in setting the team up not to lose rather than win. The thing is, barring an unforseen circumstances, City will not finish in the top 2, but also will not fall out of the top 6. He should have the relative freedom to play and experiment with his lineups. He hasn't at all, and his line ups reflect that.

Another key factor is the warped sense of expectation that I feel some of the Melbourne fans have - at least those that post on their forum - if that is a true reflection of the collective view.

The list of some of the 'realistic' replacements they had for JVS was laughable. Arteta! Bielsa! A sense of perspective is needed - badly.

In a capped League the real advantage we have is the resources we can employ off field and most notably the head coach. IMO CFG should spend a little more on the best available.

In a capped League the real advantage we have is the resources we can employ off field and most notably the head coach. IMO CFG should spend a little more on the best available.

And whilst that is all well and good, you need to be realistic in thinking that for the best available, the A league simply isn't an enticing prospect.

And whilst that is all well and good, you need to be realistic in thinking that for the best available, the A league simply isn't an enticing prospect.
That's why I put best available. I've got no illusions on where the A league stands in world standards and inevitably we will get a manager that will reflect that. What I'm hopeful for is that he will above the standard of the other A League managers.

Ultimately after a few years of developing I would like to see talented up and coming managers from within CFG use Melbourne as a development stage to oneday maybe getting the "big" job. Similar to Viera at NYC.
On that are there any potential assistants or youth coaches that could take on a senior role at Melbourne currently within the City group?

All good mate, I agree.
Don't bother paying attention to the forum, it's just 15 people having a winge the whole time, probably why it doesn't get more people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.