Melbourne City FC Thread

Okay, here I go.

I have grown up loving the game, a son of eastern European migrant that followed and suported a team in the old NSL throughout the late 70s to late 80s until it folded. Lost love with local game, always supported the national team and adopted a team in most of the big leagues but never really connected.
Became a foundation member of Heart, as I was attracted by what their ideals at inception where and actually met and got to know JVS (inagural coach).

Melbourne Heart wanted to play beautiful football and had strong ambitions of developing community. They never really got close, Melbourne is a saturated sporting landscape with 20+ elite sporting clubs and for a city of 6 million there isn't much room to get much traction, having said that Heart was always competetive and developed a core of passionate loyal supporters. We were small but we felt connected. Continually looked down on from Victory sicophants and continually marginalized by Sydney centric soccer media.

Then in 2014 it all changed (we hoped),

It was announced CFG had bought Heart, which was completely out of the blue (sky).

From then to now has been a journey, mistakes have been made, some big ones both on and off the pitch. Some Heart faithful walked, but new City ones have come along.

The most satisfying thing is that CFG have been able to do what Heart couldn't and it was just because of the cash (obviously that helped) but because of an unwavering commitment to their plan.

We won the double with young players from our system and the best senior Socceroos. We have become the benchmark and hopefully this is just the beginning of glorious time to be alive and in Melbourne following a team that is truly becoming the core of my soul.

Please note the above is written on day 3 of planned 7 day bender.
If you were still Melbourne Heart, you wouldn't be writing that today.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but we got the job done.

Update on the new facilities if anyone is interested.

Wow!

That looks like a fantastic project.

Many echoes of what has happened in Manchester over the last 13 years.

I hope it’s a roaring success and MCFC (Oz) dominates the A-League for years to come.

Just in and speechless.

Will enjoy a quiet glass and try to take it in all.

Might post something more significant in while.

Thankyou all for the support and sympathy it's been a long journey.

I still doesn't feel right, but we actually done it.

I can remember going home from the game where City won the league with the Aguero goal feeling absolutely stunned. I didn't drink that night, I didn't even watch Match of the Day.....it didn't feel real until the next season started. I know all too well that feeling of "what the fuck"

Wow!

That looks like a fantastic project.

Many echoes of what has happened in Manchester over the last 13 years.

I hope it’s a roaring success and MCFC (Oz) dominates the A-League for years to come.
Yes that looks fantastic for the people of Melbourne. I wonder if they will be accused of "sportswashing" by the Aussie media or attacked for investing money in the local community. Is the press down under as Xenophobic and racist as in England?

Yes that looks fantastic for the people of Melbourne. I wonder if they will be accused of "sportswashing" by the Aussie media or attacked for investing money in the local community. Is the press down under as Xenophobic and racist as in England?
Absolutely they are.

Add to that xenophobia the extra hatred or fear of soccer.

Absolutely they are.

Add to that xenophobia the extra hatred or fear of soccer.
I am sorry to hear that. I think what the CFG is doing for football across the world is fantastic. They are investing millions in local communities. It is a role model for the whole sport but there is just so much bitterness and envy around and a willingness to look for the negative in everything. I have never been to Oz but have heard nothing but positive things about Melbourne.
I am loving the fact that Melbourne City are shaking the status quo over there just as we have in this country. As Khaldoon said in his latest interview: "We will continue to disrupt."

I can remember going home from the game where City won the league with the Aguero goal feeling absolutely stunned. I didn't drink that night, I didn't even watch Match of the Day.....it didn't feel real until the next season started. I know all too well that feeling of "what the fuck"

The next morning I bought every paper and wedged myself into a greasy spoon, had a massive full English and about a gallon of tea. Remember it clearly even now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.