Memo to Joleon : Please don't go

One of Kolo or Lescott will be staying IMO as backup. And then we have Richards and Garcia who can provide further backup for CB. That said i am pretty sure we will buy a CB if both Jolo and Kescott leave.

CTID101 said:
Everyone's saying keep him for our benefit. Lescott is gone this summer.

He wants to play every week and is good enough to do so for nearly every club in the prem.

He is on huge wages for a backup player and it doesn't make sense to keep paying him when the money can be better used.

As for people saying oh what if Kompany or Nastasic get injured, to that I say you get on with it.
The rags have not had Vidic available for ages yet they dont seem to suffer. We have players who can play at CB and a talented CB in Rekik. They have to be given a chance.
Only until somewhere in January, where they start to deploy putting at least 9-men behind the ball, their defence has been dogshite without Vidic.

Well said Lescott

Joleon Lescott echoed what every City fan was probably thinking as the PFA Young Player of the Year award was handed out last night – why did Matija Nastasic not win it?

Gareth Bale, 23, collected both the senior and young player awards and while nobody would suggest that he hasn’t had a fine season, it shows the voting mechanism is somewhat flawed consdiering Bale is almost four years older than Matija, who is also in his debut Premier League season.

Spectacular goals, it seems, win awards, not excellent defending – at least this year!

Lescott’s quotes are picked in the Daily Telegraph who report: “That Nastasic did not even make the six-man nominations list left Lescott stunned, particularly as the 20-year-old Serb is responsible for him spending so much time on the sidelines this season.

‘I have no gripe with him. You don't begrudge someone who comes in and does well,’ said Lescott. ‘It was a bit harsh he was not nominated for PFA Young Player of the Year.

He plays beyond his years and if he
was English he would have had a lot
more recognition

"He's not a glamorous sort of player who comes out with the ball. He just does his job exceptionally well.’”

Joleon is also in the news with Chris Wheeler in the Daily Mail reporting the popular centre-back may need to move if he is to win a place in the England squad for next summer’s World Cup.

Writes Wheeler: “Lescott played alongside John Terry in all four of England’s games at Euro 2012, but City’s 2-1 win over West Ham on Saturday was only his 14th Premier League start this season — five more than Terry at Chelsea

“Lescott said: ‘It would be tough to have another season like this. I’ve only started a few games and that is not great going into a World Cup.

‘I only got in the last squad by default. It was a reality check. I need to make a decision and it needs to be the right one for my career.”

Elsewhere, former Spurs and Liverpool midfielder Jamie Redknapp believes City need to add width to the squad during the summer in order to challenge strongly for the title again.

Writing in his column in the Daily Mail, he says: “After missing out on Robin van Persie, a striker must be top of Manchester City’s shopping list. They also need a winger.

“Full-backs Pablo Zabaleta and Gael Clichy give width but a skilful winger would add another dimension and offer protection when David Silva and Samir Nasri drift inside.”

Tourist since 1971 said:
Today Joleon was magnificent and I would devastated if he went.
Some of his tackling was top drawer and even his footwork and passing was superb.

We will need 3 top class CBs next season if we are to make a go of both the Prem and the CL. If he stays he will get plenty of games, but whether Old Man Hodgson will see the sense in taking a top class defender to Brazil who might not actually play every possible game (and therefore won't be knackered at the end of the season) is another matter. Remember Roy, JL was one of the few to come out of the last tournament with any credit.

Well done Joleon, stick with it. Unless you've been told you definitely won't to the world cup if you stay at City - in which case RHIAC.
Class player for me and an equal part of 3 Centre back options and essential against a team like West Ham (Up and Under).

The funny thing is that if we had an England manager who had a clue Lescott would be in the team regardless of how many games he plays because every time he has played he has been fantastic.

Instead Hodgson picks as many as possible from the rags, liverpool and chelsea then fills the squad up with players who played years ago.

When an England manager learns to not just pick players who the media like and picks people on merit for how good they are and gives players a chance who don't have any caps then we have a chance of success.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.