Mentality and why Pellers gets a (sort of) Pass

BobKowalski

I mentioned after the Cardiff defeat that the manner of it was the most significant aspect and why it differed from previous away defeats. Binning a 1-0 lead against tiring opposition is something we just didn't do and the fact we did raised the issue of mentality. Today we binned a 1-0 lead and a 2-1 lead against Villa bringing us right back to the 'M' word. Mentality.

I think it left the building the day of the Cup Final last season and its probably hiding somewhere in the undergrowth at Carrington. On the bright side for ManU it has not just left the building but its in a different timezone and enjoying a well earned vacation judging by the taunting postcards Moysie is receiving on a daily basis.

If left relatively unmolested to play our game then we are fine. Start to have a go back then it reveals a faultline which so far we seem unable to fix. Pellers has made some good moves - Yaya taking freekicks for one but I'm not a fan of his in game management which is extremely passive as opposed to Mancini's which at times was too reactive. Pellers isn't a game changer which when its going well is fine but when it starts to go tits just means it will keep going tits.

But lumping in on Pellers for this is pointless as we no doubt knew this anyway and more importantly its not his brief. Ferran & Txiki want to establish a 'City style of play' where irrespective of the opposition we set up and play the same way and this style of play is to be replicated throughout the club. This Pellers is doing. Ferran & Txiki don't want their coach doing multiple formations per game or mixing it up from game to game. Keeping it consistent as per the club 'blueprint' (for want of a better word) is Pellers job and that is what he is doing.

Where we can lump in on Pellers is about getting our mojo back and just maybe when its going tits try something a little different during a game to stop the rot before it gets out of hand - even if F&T don't entirely approve.

So I'll give Pellers a pass but he needs to cut the 'being perplexed' bollocks and Kompany can cut the 'unlucky' shit. Thats for losers. Unlucky is not taking the lead on three occasions and fucking it up against Cardiff and Villa. Believe that shit and we are beyond fucked this season.

only thing I have questioned the manager for today was his substitution of Nasri and starting Edin and Alvaro together.
Only people who I blame for the loss today was the players. Yeah they played ok but got nothing for our troubles again

I suppose it's more inventive than bumping the previous Pellegrini thread.

I think you're pretty much bang on with these observations.

I noticed against Cardiff, against Hull, and again today, that when we are coming under the cosh, the manager sits still and looks vaguely frustrated - as if he would change things but he can't, apart from essentially like for like substitutions.

Perhaps, maybe, the vision will pay off and City will master the blueprint to the point where it sweeps away whatever plan the opposition can come up with. Now wouldn't that be something.....

Can't add much to that your pretty spot on..

One thing though if this is the "System" we want through out our club I just can't see it working in the premier especially away from home it's just to open. After going to 2-1 up was praying Pelegrini would sure it up, but he is true to his word that we are going to play attacking football and keep playing for another goal.

He's a coach in the mould of Sven where he does all his work during the week on the training ground and on match day he says its 95% down to the players. Today was one of those days.

BillyShears said:
I suppose it's more inventive than bumping the previous Pellegrini thread.

Like Mancini I'm known for my in thread management. Keep the opposition guessing and all that.

Listen 6 games in and 2 away losses already I could be dismantling Pellers on a molecular level without trying too hard but I said to myself 'Bob. No. Lets be constructive. Look at the bigger picture. Look at what we are trying to do overall and what the long terms aim is for the club and the team and save the cheap shots for Moysie.'

So I did. Because I want this to work and I still have the afterglow of the derby warming my cockles. So fucking sue me.

BobKowalski said:
I mentioned after the Cardiff defeat that the manner of it was the most significant aspect and why it differed from previous away defeats. Binning a 1-0 lead against tiring opposition is something we just didn't do and the fact we did raised the issue of mentality. Today we binned a 1-0 lead and a 2-1 lead against Villa bringing us right back to the 'M' word. Mentality.

I think it left the building the day of the Cup Final last season and its probably hiding somewhere in the undergrowth at Carrington. On the bright side for ManU it has not just left the building but its in a different timezone and enjoying a well earned vacation judging by the taunting postcards Moysie is receiving on a daily basis.

If left relatively unmolested to play our game then we are fine. Start to have a go back then it reveals a faultline which so far we seem unable to fix. Pellers has made some good moves - Yaya taking freekicks for one but I'm not a fan of his in game management which is extremely passive as opposed to Mancini's which at times was too reactive. Pellers isn't a game changer which when its going well is fine but when it starts to go tits just means it will keep going tits.

But lumping in on Pellers for this is pointless as we no doubt knew this anyway and more importantly its not his brief. Ferran & Txiki want to establish a 'City style of play' where irrespective of the opposition we set up and play the same way and this style of play is to be replicated throughout the club. This Pellers is doing. Ferran & Txiki don't want their coach doing multiple formations per game or mixing it up from game to game. Keeping it consistent as per the club 'blueprint' (for want of a better word) is Pellers job and that is what he is doing.

Where we can lump in on Pellers is about getting our mojo back and just maybe when its going tits try something a little different during a game to stop the rot before it gets out of hand - even if F&T don't entirely approve.

So I'll give Pellers a pass but he needs to cut the 'being perplexed' bollocks and Kompany can cut the 'unlucky' shit. Thats for losers. Unlucky is not taking the lead on three occasions and fucking it up against Cardiff and Villa. Believe that shit and we are beyond fucked this season.

We will know more by the time we have played another 12 games or so BK.

So far he is lacking in the changing the game when it goes awol for us.

What's been largely disturbing in the two losses is the ease at which both Cardiff and Villa were able to play out the games against us having established leads that we were never looking like pegging back.

Sides know we are soft when put under pressure and or cock up with slack marking etc.

Good sides will press us on our own turf as well and go for the win so a lot of that mentality needs to rear its head again and for sustained periods of time if we are to have a crack at anything of note this season.

waspish said:
Can't add much to that your pretty spot on..

One thing though if this is the "System" we want through out our club I just can't see it working in the premier especially away from home it's just to open. After going to 2-1 up was praying Pelegrini would sure it up, but he is true to his word that we are going to play attacking football and keep playing for another goal.

Its fine lines. We could go 3-1 up. It went 2-2 instead. Pellers has his brief. We play this way. No killing the game. No seeing it out for a result. No clever tactical switches. This in my opinion is exactly why we have Pellers and not a Benitez or whoever so there is little point moaning (or me moaning) why we don't have a Benitez or whoever in the dugout.

Its an interesting move and to be honest I kind of agree with and like the idea of establishing a 'City style' so I guess I have to live with the bits I don't like. The main one being with our squad the PL this year is begging to be taken. Hell we may well take it who knows but not with our current 'mentality' or lack of it.

look he can work all week on tactics, formations, think about who he needs to rest for upcoming games, but as long as we haven't got a chant for him the fxxkers got no chance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.