Messi compared to Maradona

I was a big fan of Rivaldo, even though he faded a lot after leaving Barca. The most underrated great for me has to be Michael Laudrup.
I think many (old enough any way) would say Garrincha for that one Pell, virtually everyone I know from that generation who has a decent amount of football knowledge have said they thought Garrincha was better than Pele.

Maradoni drove a bang average Argentina team to win the World Cup in 1986 largely on his own shoulders, dragged an even worse team to the Final in 1990 and sparked a revolution in Serie A to win 2 Scudetos for Napoli from absolutely nowhere. Messi falls short of this.

A goal every two games domestically and a goal every three internationally compared to a goal a game domestically and one in two internationally suggests Messi is the better player. One World Cup, one Argentinian league title and two scudettos doesn’t bridge the cap to 10 La Liga titles, 4 Champions League titles and countless personal awards.

Maradona is all about the World Cup. He utterly showcased both sides to his nature with his brace against England. South Americans applaud gamesmanship whether getting a foul gaining a penalty or making the opposition look daft. Argentina and Uruguay were often thought of as especially cynical but the Brazilians have always had this dark streak too.

Maradona came from grinding poverty had a massive chip on his shoulder and arrogance in spades. Somehow the combination of him and Napoli were made for each other. Other Italians especially in the rich North taunted Neapolitans that they didn't belong in Italy. Diego became a god and the city worshipped him.

Italia 90 (greatest World Cup ever!) and the semifinal drew Italy against Argentina in Naples. Utterly epic. Christ though they were a dirty team in a pretty cynical tournament. No tears for them when West Germany won.

I'll never forget his celebration after scoring against Greece at USA 94. Surprisingly he failed a drug test!!

Messi has had a much longer more successful and durable career but for sheer drama Maradona is hard to beat.

Sergio's son has Maradona as his grandfather and obviously Sergio as his dad. Wonder if the lad plays football... ;-)

It's difficult to judge players from different eras but just imagine how good Maradona would be in todays no contact game, with the protection that Messi enjoys.
Maradona for me

Bro.... no

Anyone with half a brain can see messi is the best footballer that has played the game so far, probably be a while before someone as good as him comes along in the future.

Maradonna.... looking at past games his level and those around is probably around championship/league 1 level now... haha sorry guys but the game has moved on

The one question mark I'd always have over Maradona is to what level (if any) did his undeniable cocaine use enhance his performances?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.