Metro ticket inspectors

I didn't realise it was that easy to avoid paying if I got caught ;)

In all seriousness, while there are will always be serial jibbers many of those who get caught are simply legging it for the tram and don't have time to mess about buying a ticket. I've been caught 3 times in the last 20-odd years and on each occasion it was all because I was rushing to get to work or elsewhere and would've bought a ticket if I had the time, as I have done on hundreds of occasions down the years. Now I know that is down to the individual's responsibility but the fact is they treat everyone like criminals. While I can accept that to a certain extent, what happened 12 months ago left a bitter taste in the mouth. I'd taken the afternoon off work to visit my terminally ill brother who was in the Christie. I made my way down to Media City tram stop and lo and behold there was a tram just waiting to pull away. As I was desperate to get over to see him, there was no way I was missing that tram and sprinted over to catch it. I was changing at Cornbrook anyway so thought I'd buy a ticket for the next leg of the journey when I got there. Anyway, it pulled in to Pomona and lo and behold the platform was full of inspectors. I got off thinking they'd get on but they didn't and I got pulled. I explained the situation about going to see our kid but I may as well have been talking to brick wall. Got slapped with a £50 fine, and didn't get to the hospital until later than I hoped. In the end we all had a good laugh about it and I told our kid it was the best £50 I'd ever spent.

Now I know people will make all kinds of excuses up when they get caught and no doubt they've heard that one before but it's this automatic assumption that everyone is bullshitting and everyone getting on the tram without paying is doing it in a pre-meditated way that pisses me off. If our kid had passed away in the meantime - he actually died around 5 o'clock the next morning - I wouldn't have let these fuckers forget it. As it is, I still got to see him and that was the most important thing by far rather than trying to argue the toss about paying a poxy 50 quid fine

Maybe one day they'll bring these people back who IMO are sorely missed, the removal of front line staff both on the trams and the buses has taken the personality/safety of travelling.
Clippie.png

Every one has, I have jibbed on buses, trains and trams in my time, some may why?

Mainly if I was skint atm or in a rush and no time to buy a ticket (tram or train)
Buses was more when a kid and we pilled on after school .

The factor was always no one to check.

Add the fact we are a very dishonest country when it comes to trying to not pay if we don't have to, if we can tail gate a tube barrier, train barrier or turnstile at the match, sneaked into a cinema, etc, I would say a large preportion of the population have done it

Please don’t assume everyone else is as dishonest as you.

Please don’t assume everyone else is as dishonest as you.

Everyone has done something dishonest in their lifetime.

I have under certain circumstances jibbed a train or tram, I am honest enough to admit it, sure many have and wouldn't admit it.

I haven't jibbed for a long while now, and I certainly would pay up if asked to.

As I originally said pages ago the system is set up to encourage dishonesty in some, as transport companies are too cheap to employ conductors or guards anymore.

I didn't realise it was that easy to avoid paying if I got caught ;)

In all seriousness, while there are will always be serial jibbers many of those who get caught are simply legging it for the tram and don't have time to mess about buying a ticket. I've been caught 3 times in the last 20-odd years and on each occasion it was all because I was rushing to get to work or elsewhere and would've bought a ticket if I had the time, as I have done on hundreds of occasions down the years. Now I know that is down to the individual's responsibility but the fact is they treat everyone like criminals. While I can accept that to a certain extent, what happened 12 months ago left a bitter taste in the mouth. I'd taken the afternoon off work to visit my terminally ill brother who was in the Christie. I made my way down to Media City tram stop and lo and behold there was a tram just waiting to pull away. As I was desperate to get over to see him, there was no way I was missing that tram and sprinted over to catch it. I was changing at Cornbrook anyway so thought I'd buy a ticket for the next leg of the journey when I got there. Anyway, it pulled in to Pomona and lo and behold the platform was full of inspectors. I got off thinking they'd get on but they didn't and I got pulled. I explained the situation about going to see our kid but I may as well have been talking to brick wall. Got slapped with a £50 fine, and didn't get to the hospital until later than I hoped. In the end we all had a good laugh about it and I told our kid it was the best £50 I'd ever spent.

Now I know people will make all kinds of excuses up when they get caught and no doubt they've heard that one before but it's this automatic assumption that everyone is bullshitting and everyone getting on the tram without paying is doing it in a pre-meditated way that pisses me off. If our kid had passed away in the meantime - he actually died around 5 o'clock the next morning - I wouldn't have let these fuckers forget it. As it is, I still got to see him and that was the most important thing by far rather than trying to argue the toss about paying a poxy 50 quid fine

Ridiculous isn't it, that you are presumed to be trying it on, when in effect if you could pay you would, to expanf on what I have said the only jibbing I have done recently was when I am out and the last train home is a minute from going and so I will jump on and expect to pay a guard, because if I went to the machine I would miss it and then cost me 4 times as much in a taxi.
If a guard one in (as has been bwfore last 2 years) I happily paid every time.

Now a few weeks ago I was running late for something and a tram was at St Peters and a queue for the ticket machine, I have the mygo app which lets you buy metrolink tickets on your phone, so I asked the staff member was it alright to jump on and buy the ticket on the app while traveling, told me no you have to have it on your phone when you board, well I queued and missed that tram and was late.
If I had not spoken to him amd just jumped on I could have got away with not paying at all as no inspectors got on, but I don't jib unless an emergency, but the stupidity of the present set up isn't helpful

Last edited:
i was on the ashton tram just before last Christmas and the ticket-inspectors got on at clayton 4 guys and 2 ladies ???

and 3 young lads about 16/17 was on the tram without tickets sat smoking weed and not care in the world ?? and the ticket-inspectors just let them stay on and in fact did not even ask them for tickets ??? or asked them to stop smoking and one of the lad still had the cig in his hand and they started laughing

so i got billy big bollocks and stood up and said the to ticket-inspectors WHY are you not doing anything to stop them or check them for a ticket ??? and one the ticket-inspectors got a bit narky with me and said have you got your ticket ???? and i started to get hot under the coller and my blood was boiling and next thing the other 3 guys and ladies was right up in my face and told me to shut up and sit down or get off ???? true story

i was having non of it and ask one of them to get on his radio to the police and stop the tram or i was going to kick off, the 3 young lads got up and just got off and pushed by one of the ladies on the way off and the 3 ticket-inspectors guys still did nothing, so on we went and i got talking to the lady ticket-inspectors and she said we have no powers unless the police are with us and we are told not to get involved with youths without ticket as it can blow up and you could end up losing your job ???

i was shaking my head at what she was saying and the system is a joke ?? why have ticket-inspectors on the trams in the first place if they have no powers with youths or trouble people, and low and behold next stop the 4 male ticket-inspectors got hold of a lady about 40 year old without a ticket and took control and did their job and took her name issued a fine and told her to get off hahahaha, and then all the ticket-inspectors got off and walked her down the platform, WHAT A JOKE and should have took the names of the ticket-inspectors and reported it, but i felt sorry for the lady ticket-inspectors and she was a ok person even when she got off with the others she give me a nod to say your right

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.