Michael Johnson

Just spent the night in the company of Micheal and his father and honestly I have learnt more about football in one night than I have in 5 years. His dad was literally coaching pep style football twenty years football before pep was. Absolutely facscinating. Have a google of Coervar football. I had never heard it it until tonight. His old man had a local team from urmston going and beating Juventus and Real Madrid teams away from home 20 years ago with Micheal in the team. Incredible to listen to.

That’s very interesting, my son’s football club are pushing Coerver with all their junior players. They take the view that technical ball skills can be taught and work hard on getting players to work on those “little” skills, like step overs, turns, pull backs etc. I think Paul McGuinnes (ex united and son of Wolf) was involved with Coerver. He had an interesting piece in line showing the benefit of great ball skills in tight spaces showing the likes of Cancelo working City out of trouble away to Liverpool last season.

Phil Foden is another level all together. Michael had the potential to be a very good player, but to compare him with Foden and say he had better footballing iq is ridiculous. IMHO.
I don't know he looked exceptional when he came into the team, If we had the manager and resources we have now i doubt he would have been thrown straight in. Alas we'll never know personally I think he would have been an outstanding footballer.

Phil Foden is another level all together. Michael had the potential to be a very good player, but to compare him with Foden and say he had better footballing iq is ridiculous. IMHO.
Agreed. Phil is getting game time amidst KDB, Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo, Grealish, Gundogan etc, Michael was playing with Dietmar fucking Hamman

Last edited:
The podcast and news of personal conversations with MJ on this thread are excellent. He was a real "golden boy" for a while and we built him up to be a new Colin Bell at a time when most of the team were mediocre. Makes me wonder about others who for whatever reasons didn't see their dreams come true. I used to watch Fulham R.L. when they first started and I was living down there, they had a Welsh lad called Adrian Cambriani, winger with speed & skill, who burned brightly for a season or two and then faded. And in tennis now there's Emma Raducanu, hope she doesn't turn out to be a one-hit wonder and instead makes a good long career of her talent.

In the end all "golden lads and lasses must, as chimney sweepers, come to dust."

I remember him scoring a thunderbastard at home to Scunthorpe in the cup - I'm sure it was a comeback game - a few minutes after coming on. His passing range was something else and general awareness was as well.

A massive shame things turned out the way they did for him but as long as he's happy and doing well, it's just one of those things.

Johnson went to my kids primary school and was about to break-through when the kids were there. The Secretary at the school, a big blue, had picture of him in an England youth kit. We were all very proud of him!

Seen him many times around Urmston. He seems to have been in a good place, mentally, for a while, which is great news.

Met him quite a few times, a top lad who is now doing very well for himself. Has a fair business portfolio these days. Think he is still one of the owners of The George Charles on Burton Road, on the corner opposite Withington Hospital

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.