Michael Robinson

jimharri

Blues of a certain vintage will remember Michael from the late 70s. A wholehearted, if limited striker. My abiding memory of him is the goal he scored against the rags at Maine Road ('79. was it?). Anyway, he looks like he's got a tough road ahead of him;

It looks bleak for him, but I wish him all the best.

Sadly been diagnosed with incurable cancer. He was among the first of Big Mal's follies in his second spell at City. He had 30 appearances scoring 8 goals. We paid Preston £750k for him and they were in the 2nd division then. He was just 21 and had no experience in the First Division.

The story is that Swales approached Preston, where Nobby Stiles was then manager, and offered them £250k. The chairman laughed, thinking it was a ludicrous amount for an untried 21-year old. Swales thought he was laughing because it was an insulting amount and upped the offer to £750k. No idea if that's true but given the madness at the time of Malcolm's second coming you could well believe it.

true or not, for those around at the time, will readily accept it as completely, typically true. Very sad news for the player, gave his best, during a mad bad time.....

Remember him well. One of the players signed during the Malcolm Allison ‘second coming’ and the subsequent upheaval which saw many old favourites discarded and many new faces signed for excessive fees. Only stayed one season, I think. All the best to him in the hardest battle he will ever face.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.