Mickey Thomas Cancer

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Gordyola, 9 Feb 2019.

1. Gordyola

Gordyola

Team supported:
    City of course
    Former Wales winger Mickey Thomas has been diagnosed with stomach cancer.

The 64-year-old will begin treatment on Monday after receiving the diagnosis in January.

A crowdfunding page which has been set up to help Thomas, which says "he is currently facing the biggest battle".

Thomas won 51 caps for Wales and spent three years at Manchester United, from 1978-1981, and nine seasons with Wrexham across two spells, making his final appearance in 1993, aged 38.

He famously scored the equaliser with a superb free-kick when the Welsh club, then of the fourth tier, knocked out league champions Arsenal in the 1992 FA Cup third round.

He has been a co-commentator on Manchester United games on local radio in recent years.

"Still such a presence around Old Trafford and very much a part of the United family, Mickey is one of the most loveable guys you could meet," the funding page adds.

"He shouldn't be worrying about money during this tough time.

"We want his focus to be on beating this awful disease and getting back with us all as soon as possible."

During his 22-year playing career, Thomas also played for Everton, Brighton, Stoke, Chelsea, West Bromwich Albion, Derby, Shrewsbury and Leeds.

I wish him or the best in his battle, lost a dear friend a few years ago to this and only yesterday learnt my daughter in law’s 80 year grandfather had inoperable stomach cancer

SWP COME HOME!! likes this.
  2. Nellies left peg

Nellies left peg

I'm sure The United family will look after their own

3. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

You mean put him up in a club owned house?
    Mickey could pay for the treatment himself printing off some of those dodgy fivers in his wallet ;)

Hope they catch the cancer in its early days and he gets the all clear asap

bluethrunthru likes this.
  4. Nellies left peg

Nellies left peg

Like they looked after the Munich survivors exactly mate .still don't wish anybody who's suffering a disease ill cause I know what its like

Mad Eyed Screamer likes this.
  5. malg

malg

Well, that thread title left fuck all to the imagination.....!!

6. Trojan1962

Trojan1962

Don’t wish ill health on anyone especially as serious as cancer. Hope it’s caught early and he gets it sorted

7. cookster

cookster

Anyone with experience of Cancer would echo your sentiments.

8. willipp

willipp

Met him quite a few times and a right character and a really really nice bloke. Fingers crossed he can beat it and fight through what sounds like a horrific set of treatments.

9. FantasyIreland

FantasyIreland

A disease that devastates and destroys families.Wishing him all the very best in what might be his hardest ever battle

10. burnley blue mcfc

burnley blue mcfc

Team supported:
    Manchester city
    I fuckin despise anything rag or accosiated, but having lost both my parents to this horrific desease i wish him all the best & hope his family dont have to go through what mine had to