Microsoft account Phishing e-mail

Trevor Morley's Tache

I've recently had a phishing email to my Windows email account saying that my account has been compromised with a tracking virus, and that all my computer activity has been monitored, including webcam use and all the dodgy sites I've visited.

Now I know this to be bollocks, because my integrated webcam is taped up (as I never use it). Also, I don't visit any dodgy sites. I also run regular full system virus scans (Macafee), and clear out tracking cookies pretty much weekly.

The sender gave his dark web user name (odd), and also their Bitcoin account number where I was to deposit $866 (again odd), for the virus to be removed from my account.

The thing that did alarm me was the fact the sender had my Windows Live e-mail address, plus an old password, which I haven't used in over 2 years. I'm guessing some old account details have been hacked somewhere down the line. and this person is chancing their arm.

Anyone had anything similar?

I've recently had a phishing email to my Windows email account saying that my account has been compromised with a tracking virus, and that all my computer activity has been monitored, including webcam use and all the dodgy sites I've visited.

Now I know this to be bollocks, because my integrated webcam is taped up (as I never use it). Also, I don't visit any dodgy sites. I also run regular full system virus scans (Macafee), and clear out tracking cookies pretty much weekly.

The sender gave his dark web user name (odd), and also their Bitcoin account number where I was to deposit $866 (again odd), for the virus to be removed from my account.

The thing that did alarm me was the fact the sender had my Windows Live e-mail address, plus an old password, which I haven't used in over 2 years. I'm guessing some old account details have been hacked somewhere down the line. and this person is chancing their arm.

i have the exact same email...

although mine is asking for 887 dollars!

Had similar this week. Gave a dark web ID, claimed he’d hacked my e-mail and tracked all the “interesting sites” I’d visited. Demanded $864 (?) by Bitcoin or he’d send details to all my contacts.

Had exactly the same a few months ago, they also had my msn email.

This is what they sent me:

I will cut to the chase. I am aware ******** is your pass word. More to the point, I know your secret and I have evidence of this. You do not know me and nobody employed me to check out you.

It's just your misfortune that I stumbled across your misdemeanor. Actually, I installed a malware on the adult vids (sexually graphic) and you visited this site to have fun (you know what I mean). When you were watching video clips, your web browser started out functioning as a Rdp (Remote desktop) that has a key logger which provided me with accessibility to your display and also webcam. Right after that, my software program gathered all your contacts from messenger, facebook, as well as email.

Next, I gave in more time than I should've exploring into your life and made a double screen video. 1st part displays the video you had been watching and 2nd part displays the capture of your web cam (its you doing nasty things).

Frankly, I am willing to forget everything about you and allow you to move on with your regular life. And my goal is to offer you two options that can make it happen. Those two option is either to ignore this letter, or simply pay me $ 2200. Let us examine above two options in more details.

Option One is to ignore this e-mail. Let us see what will happen if you opt this path. I will certainly send your video recording to your contacts including family members, co-workers, and many others. It will not save you from the humiliation your self will have to face when friends and family find out your dirty videos from me.

Second Option is to send me $ 2200. We’ll name this my “privacy tip”. Now let me tell you what will happen if you pick this path. Your secret remains your secret. I'll destroy the video immediately. You continue on with your routine life as though none of this ever occurred.

At this point you must be thinking, “I will call the cops”. Let me tell you, I have taken steps to ensure this e-mail cannot be linked returning to me and yes it won't prevent the evidence from destroying your life. I am not looking to dig a hole in your pocket. I just want to be compensated for time I put in investigating you. Let's assume you've decided to generate pretty much everything go away and pay me my confidentiality fee. You will make the payment via Bitcoin (if you do not know how, search "how to buy bitcoins" in google)

Amount to be sent: $ 2200
Send To This Bitcoin Address: 1FscKM9BDCz*U7ETBmdkDFDd6ZXN1opqrau (Edit * from it then note it)

Tell no person what you will be utilising the Bitcoins for or they might not offer it to you. The procedure to obtain bitcoin may take a day or two so do not wait.
I have a special pixel in this email message, and now I know that you've read through this e-mail. You have two days in order to make the payment. If I don't receive the Bitcoins, I definitely will send your video recording to your contacts including friends and family, coworkers, etc. You better come up with an excuse for friends and family before they find out. Nevertheless, if I receive the payment, I'll destroy the recording and all other proofs immediately. It is a non-negotiable one time offer, so kindly do not waste my personal time & yours. Time is running out. Let me tell you, my malware will still be sharing the actions you are taking when you're done reading this letter. Frankly, If you try to act smart then I will send out your videotape to your friends and family, co-workers before time ends.

I have also recived one today claiming to be a tax refund.

Paddy power got me too.

Paddy Power: In October 2010, the Irish bookmaker Paddy Power suffered a data breach that exposed 750,000 customer records with nearly 600,000 unique email addresses. The breach was not disclosed until July 2014 and contained extensive personal information including names, addresses, phone numbers and plain text security questions and answers.

Compromised data: Account balances, Dates of birth, Email addresses, IP addresses, Names, Phone numbers, Physical addresses, Security questions and answers, Usernames, Website activity

This was in the papers the other day, including the bit about old passwords. Just ignore it.

Edit:
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...-Computer-menace-driving-victims-suicide.html

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.