Mid-table or Yoyo?

kenzie115

In the aftermath of the West Ham fans booing at the end of their 2-1 win over 10 man Hull on Wednesday, one fan suggested they should be grateful that they're now a steady mid-table Premier League side as opposed to a yoyo club.

Now we've not been relegated since 2001, and whilst I remember us bouncing up and down the divisions, I think I was too young to fully appreciate what it meant and to use that experience to answer the following question, although the majority on here will be able to call upon those memories.

If you had to choose between being a steady mid-table Premeir League side, finishing anywhere between 9th and 15th each season, or being a yoyo club who faced relegation battles or chased promotion every year, which would you choose?

I'm asking purely from a fan's perspective. Forget about the fact that being in the Premier League makes the club a lot more financially stable and all that jazz, which team would you rather be going to watch every week?

I reckon I'd prefer the yoyo option. At least that way your season means something, right to the end. You'd endure a rollercoaster of emotions game after game as opposed to becoming more and more apathetic as the season drew to a close. Sure you'd suffer the heartache of missing out on promotion or of suffering relegation (I'm not sure how it'd affect me as an adult but I remember crying as I watched us win 5-2 at Stoke but still get relegated as a 9 year old), but you'd also have the ecstasy of promotion or making it to the last day and surviving the drop.

I think the only thing that might sway it is if you were a mid-table side that wanted to play good football, ala Southampton or Swansea, and always took the cup competitions seriously, but even then, you'd only experience the same extreme emotions if you reached semi-finals or finals and it's probably unlikely to be a yearly occurrence.

What say you?

There's nothing worse than being average. Winning any Division beats being bored to death in the one above.

dropping down a division can be fun but in this era with all the financial downsides of relegation then I'd take mid-table.

For pure entertainment value then yoyo. It's a tough question though because relegations are heartbreaking and there's never the guarantee of coming back up or even coming close, Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves being good examples.

This title race nonsense isn't bad though :)

Got to be yo yo

Before the takeover my best memories are promotion games - Charlton, Bradford, Gillingham and Blackburn. As the poster above said the Keegan promotion season was the football I'd ever seen us play. Mid table (mostly) seasons 02-07 a bit of a blur on really remember the cup heartbreaks and occasional big win.

Yo yo for pure excitement through highs and lows, but as said above there's a lot at stake if you drop down.

I would always take mid table over yoyo. Having experienced first hand the absolute misery of relegation at a time THEM were winning everything there is nothing worse. Relegation fights are not for the feint hearted and would always rather have the pressure of winning something over being relegated.

When we did plant ourselves in mid table I know a lot of opinion at the time give us five seasons of mid table not involved in Europe nor fighting relegation but having a chance in one of the cups being talked about. The start to build and push on up the league, however we then got taken over and the rest is history so to speak.

Got a mate who is a Palace fan and talked about this with him during the playoffs last season. No contest - you'd rather take the yo-yoing. The trouble is going down these days can lead to complete failure on all levels and the gulf in finances between the top two divisions make it hard for clubs to survive. The likes of West Brom etc who are well run can normally survive going down. The emotion of being involved in big games is what football is all about, whether that is relegation scraps, or promotion. Being a mid table team you pretend you might go down with a poor run, then that you will make Europe with a good one. Then it all fades out and you are left with 10 games and nothing to play for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.