Migraines

FromPollockToSilva

Chicago, formerly Prague, originally Calderdale
Anybody else suffer with migraines? I've had two in the last two days, after none for six months. If I catch the aura starting I can usually take a couple of painkillers and ride it out, but last night's started in my sleep and by the time I woke up it was too late. Cue pain and vomiting.

I have no idea what triggers mine. I had a handful when I was in my early teens, then nothing until last year (I'm 28). I've since had quite a few in the last 12 months and it's a bit of a concern.

Has anyone found a good prevention or treatment, or at least something that helps when you get an attack? A lot of people are recommending this device:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cefaly.com/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cefaly.com/en</a>

It appears to be some kind of space tiara, but the feedback has been very positive.

Had them since I can remember.

No preventative medicine has ever really worked for me for any length of time.

Same as you, I don't have 'triggers' as such so I can't avoid getting them.

Genuinely feel for anyone that suffers from them

I'm guessing its like that feeling after a heavy night out where you can't even lift your head off the pillow

TheMightyQuinn said:

How bad are your attacks? Does it affect your job? I haven't had any during full-time employment, just the ones out here where I miss teaching a few classes and it's not a huge problem. I am worried about having them when I go back into the real world though.

I've suffered for years but are quite sporadic. The migraines I get always happen at night. They wake me during the early hours with hot and cold sweats and excruciating throbbing pain at my temples. I've learned that nothing I take helps at this point. I just wait it out til I'm violently sick. Only then do I take something then I sleep it off. Usually wake and its gone. I found that too much orange juice, chocolate and especially cheese can be my triggers.

I get two or three a year. Just the thought of them scares the shit out of me.

Nausea, vomiting, flashing lights, even hallucinations. And the pain. Oh Christ the pain :(

During a particularly bad one a few years ago I knocked myself out by headbutting the wall as hard as I could. I was pretty delirious at the time apparently but I would have done anything to be rid of the pain.

Woke up with blood all over my face, a cracking bump on my forehead and one hell of a headache. However one hell of a 'normal' headache is a million times better than any migraine.

FromPollockToSilva said:
TheMightyQuinn said:

How bad are your attacks? Does it affect your job? I haven't had any during full-time employment, just the ones out here where I miss teaching a few classes and it's not a huge problem. I am worried about having them when I go back into the real world though.

It can affect my work if I don't try to keep on top of it, yeah. Routine helps, so in a way full time work makes managing them easier, if that makes sense?

The attacks vary, worst case I have to have a shower because I need a distraction from the agony in my head and the blind vomiting. Best case, my head feels like a pig shat in it but I can stand and speak so I grimly get through it.

Have you got any pills for the actual attacks? Some seem to work better than others although I tend to get used to them and they stop working.

Cheesy said:
I get two or three a year. Just the thought of them scares the shit out of me.

Nausea, vomiting, flashing lights, even hallucinations. And the pain. Oh Christ the pain :(

During a particularly bad one a few years ago I knocked myself out by headbutting the wall as hard as I could. I was pretty delirious at the time apparently but I would have done anything to be rid of the pain.

Woke up with blood all over my face, a cracking bump on my forehead and one hell of a headache. However one hell of a 'normal' headache is a million times better than any migraine.

Yeah when the pain is bad it's fucking insane. Nothing like it. Like your brain is in a vice and there's no way out.

I had hormonal migraines,3 days every month for about 25yrs
I could set my clock by them so prepared to have time off work or work at home and take neurofen and had a light snack like a banana and sleep through it
Now i have non of that just the odd one of if i'm tired or really hot
You have my sympathy,they are awful

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.