Mikel Arteta

Good news. For us as a club but also for Arteta personally I think. He will have time to learn more from Pep and hopefully be in a position to takeover from him when he eventually leaves.

Tough to turn down in some ways, but how many of us would genuinely expect Arteta to land there & turn Arsenal into the team their supporters demand, unless he was given a huge transfer budget ?

If he failed, then he'd be out on his arse in a season, his City job gone & no managerial reputation whatsoever, to merit another job.

And he would have failed. Arsenal fans were getting all giddy drawing parallels with Pep taking over Barca but it could scarcely have been a more different situation.

And he would have failed. Arsenal fans were getting all giddy drawing parallels with Pep taking over Barca but it could scarcely have been a more different situation.

More difficult I would suggest, than if he followed Pep at City, because here he would be taking over a better team already drilled, with a style and players, he is used to.

Wenger was so utterly shite in the end, any new manager will be expected to transform the players or be assumed a duffer.

I hope he stays with us now anyhow & doesn't go for a different job.

I think Emery will be a great manager for Arsenal. He won't make them relevant to us in a title challenge but should close the gap to the top 4.

He'll make them solid and tight at the back, and Ozil, Lacazette, Aubameyang will do damage up front after quick counters. I suspect he might get them Nzonzi as well if allowed, and he's what Arsenal have needed in midfield for 10 years.

He'll also go all in for the cups which should give Arsenal fans enough excitement to stay happy.

This appointment is Perfect for them and perfect for us

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I suspect it is one of those jobs that you don't want to be first to take. Whoever goes in needs to change everything, upset people, break up the changing room, move people out etc etc - its an enormous job and won't be quick - but fans will expect immediate improvement and they may still need to keep going backwards before they can get better. and thats not a place for a young manager in their first job. Not surprised they are looking at someone with Emery's experience - and meanwhile Arteta learns from Pep until he does eventually go somewhere else.

1haziw.jpg

I'm glad Arteta is staying but would prefer him to gain some first hand managerial experience before City considering giving him the job when Pep departs.

Arsenal would have been too big for him & probably knocked his confidence when things turned sour.

Get him to learn as much from Pep as possible & then City should ask him to manage one of our partner teams for a year or so to see how he gets along before possibly handing him the keys to the kingdom. Now that's a long-term plan!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.