MLS / New York City thread

Watched NYC the other day they were not good but won, watched Melbourne City too they won as well, i must be their lucky charms, they both seem to be trying to play like us but without the right type of players
Reminds me of Eric Morcambes famous line to Andre Previn “I’m playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order”

Just get in to the playoffs and see where that takes us.

Deila seems to have turned the ship around. Need 3 points against Dr.Evil look alike Jaap Stam's FC Cincinnati.

Columbus Crew beat Seattle 3-0 to win the MLS Cup and be crowned MLS champions. The game was the usual lower-reaches of the Championship standard, but the Crew were deserved winners. They dominated the first half and went in 2-0 up, then soaked up pressure in the second half and hit on the break for the killer on about 80mins. All three goals were great finishes.
What was most impressive was that they did it with their two best players missing through Covid.

Last edited:
Columbus Crew beat Seattle 3-0 to win the MLS Cup and be crowned MLS champions. The game was the usual lower-reaches of the Championship standard, but the Crew were deserved winners. They dominated the first half and went in 2-0 up, then soaked up pressure in the second half and hit on the break for the killer on about 80mins. All three goals were great finishes.
What was most impressive was that they did it with their two best players missing through Covid.
Genuine question, is the standard of the MLS improving? I see clips and highlights here, it certainly looks a well organised league and clearly there is big investment. But is it translating into a genuinely higher standard? is there any possibility that NYC might ultimately produce EPL standard players for City to buy - I don’t really count Harrison because he is British and I know we have Steffen but he came from Columbus I think.

Genuine question, is the standard of the MLS improving? I see clips and highlights here, it certainly looks a well organised league and clearly there is big investment. But is it translating into a genuinely higher standard? is there any possibility that NYC might ultimately produce EPL standard players for City to buy - I don’t really count Harrison because he is British and I know we have Steffen but he came from Columbus I think.
No.

It’s funny watching the games, you might see a short move, or passage of play, that is pretty good, but it stands out because it’s surrounded by chaos. Most games are of top of League One/ bottom of Championship standard and I don’t see it producing anything for City anytime soon.
The exception is goalkeepers, like Steffen (and Howard, Freidel etc). It’s a specialized position that doesn’t rely on the ability of the team around you.

It’s funny watching the games, you might see a short move, or passage of play, that is pretty good, but it stands out because it’s surrounded by chaos. Most games are of top of League One/ bottom of Championship standard and I don’t see it producing anything for City anytime soon.
The exception is goalkeepers, like Steffen (and Howard, Freidel etc). It’s a specialized position that doesn’t rely on the ability of the team around you.
All who grew up learning to catch a different shaped ball ;)

When I first started watching the New England Revs when I moved to Boston in 2011 it was woeful.
I went regularly until moving to Tampa in 2015. I realised the more beer i drank before the game, the higher the quality of football on the pitch...

I doubt that the standards will improve significantly, as any high-quality players that emerge in the States will want to test themselves in a level that is superior to MLS.

I think the overall standard is improving but its being done in a very slow way. There are more fairly decent players than there were say 5 years ago, but fewer global stars if that makes sense. However, there are still a lot of players that wouldn't make it in the EFL though. Not sure there are enough fairly decent players to support new expansion teams, and they could drag the quality back down.

There is a heavy South American focus on the scouting, which is quite smart in my opinion.

I think it will be well placed to take advantage of the buzz the World Cup in 2026 will create as a host nation, and it will receive a boost too if USA qualify for 2022 (and they should).

However the pandemic has had a huge impact on revenues and I think it will take a bit of time to recover from that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.