Modern Technology.....A Love Affair

KS55

I use email on my tablet for most social interaction, as I am too deaf to hear a mobile. My 6 year old tablet is getting a bit bashed up, so I decided to replace it. Did the usual research and decided a basic Samsung would suffice. Samsung's own site had very little in the way of technical data or product info, but Amazon had plenty Ordered a tablet from Amazon, which was delivered in 2 days.
The shiny new toy coming out of the box was the last good thing that happened.
Turn it on.....oh brightness appears to be set to the minimum. Plug it in, just in case, but not a battery problem. Ok, will struggle with dull screen then. Oh dear, screen buttons very unresponsive. If I hit them really hard and repeat, they sort of work. So proceed to set up. Trouble is, I can't hear the audio instructions. Not to worry, open the leaflet "Quick Start". Hmm, not even a hint in there. Struggle on; after all its just a simple procedure requiring only a modicum of intelligence to view the screen and deduce what to do. Next problem, the action required is sometimes a single tap and sometimes a double. Why? No logic to it and, with poorly functionning buttons, how can I tell if lack of response is techical failure or the need for a double tap? Time to go on line to Samsung support.
"Of course we can help you sir, Has your device got wet recently?" What?? Read my post, it says 'brand new, just out the box'.
Much tooing and froing. Techie finally decides that it needs 'a soft reset'.
"Press the volume button and hold for twenty seconds".
I do this and, hooray, the damn thing springs into life.
ME: " If you had instructions in 'Quick Start' this call would have been unnecessary."
Techie: "Yes, but nowt to do with me".
Resume set up. Get half way and get stuck. Ask the wife what the audio instructor is saying.
Wife: "it says double tap and then something else but the heavily accented electronic voice is unintelligible"
Jeez, back to a new techie on line. Have to go thru my tale again.
Techie: "Have you tried a soft set?"
Me "Yes, Yes, YEEEEEES. Just tell me what to do on this page"
Techie: "What is the model number?"
And so on and so on ad infinitum.
I give up and tell them I am returning their fucking device.
Time was when you just took it out the box, turned on, went to settings and that was that.
Samsung call their new set up system "Wizard".

Last edited:
Honestly just get the base spec 32gb 10.2" iPad.

It's simple, fast, has a perfectly good screen, gets updates for years etc.

It's not the cheapest tablet but it is good value for money especially compared to the more expensive iPad models.

I actually sold my iPad because I don't need one for my needs and current use a Fire HD 8 tablet with the Amazon stuff removed.

It's definitely not as quick as my old iPad nor is the screen particularly good but it was dirt cheap (and excellent value for money) and I just use it for videos mainly.

Honestly just get the base spec 32gb 10.2" iPad.

It's simple, fast, has a perfectly good screen, gets updates for years etc.

It's not the cheapest tablet but it is good value for money especially compared to the more expensive iPad models.

I actually sold my iPad because I don't need one for my needs and current use a Fire HD 8 tablet with the Amazon stuff removed.

It's definitely not as quick as my old iPad nor is the screen particularly good but it was dirt cheap (and excellent value for money) and I just use it for videos mainly.
Thanks mate. The maker of your recc is?

Thanks mate. The maker of your recc is?

Apple iPad.

My current tablet is a Amazon Fire HD 8. I only bought it knowing I could remove the Amazon stuff which I wouldn't recommend for most people. It's good for my exact basic usage of watching videos but I'd pay the extra for the iPad if it was my main device.

Apple iPad.

My current tablet is a Amazon Fire HD 8. I only bought it knowing I could remove the Amazon stuff which I wouldn't recommend for most people. It's good for my exact basic usage of watching videos but I'd pay the extra for the iPad if it was my main device.
Thanks again.

I use email on my tablet for most social interaction, as I am too deaf to hear a mobile. My 6 year old tablet is getting a bit bashed up, so I decided to replace it. Did the usual research and decided a basic Samsung would suffice. Samsung's own site had very little in the way of technical data or product info, but Amazon had plenty Ordered a tablet from Amazon, which was delivered in 2 days.
Turn it on.....oh brightness appears to be set to the minimum. Plug it in, just in case, but not a battery problem. Ok, will struggle with dull screen then. Oh dear, screen buttons very unresponsive. If I hit them really hard and repeat, they sort of work. So proceed to set up. Trouble is, I can't hear the audio instructions. Not to worry, open the leaflet "Quick Start". Hmm, not even a hint in there. Struggle on; after all its just a simple procedure requiring only a modicum of intelligence to view the screen and deduce what to do. Next problem, the action required is sometimes a single tap and sometimes a double. Why? No logic to it and, with poorly functionning buttons, how can I tell if lack of response is techical failure or the need for a double tap? Time to go on line to Samsung support.
"Of course we can help you sir, Has your device got wet recently?" What?? Read my post, it says 'brand new, just out the box'.
ME: " If you had instructions in 'Quick Start' this call would have been unnecessary."
Resume set up. Get half way and get stuck. Ask the wife what the audio instructor is saying.
Wife: "it says double tap and then something else but the heavily accented electronic voice is unintelligible"
Time was when you just took it out the box, turned on, went to settings and that was that.
It seems far too complicated for a FOC like you mate. Perhaps you'd be better sending for a Kays catalogue and thumbing through to the lingerie section for a good owd J Arthur Rank over a bit of nipple and fanny fluff.

The good old days; )

It just goes to show...you shouldn't be anywhere near modern technology.

Way too old. You've gone over the horizon now. It's all carpet slippers, small yappy dogs which you probably can't hear due to OLD AGE, Formica kitchen tables and soup for tea.

It just goes to show...you shouldn't be anywhere near modern technology.

Way too old. You've gone over the horizon now. It's all carpet slippers, small yappy dogs which you probably can't hear due to OLD AGE, Formica kitchen tables and soup for tea.
Dont have a dog.
Never wear slippers.
My kitchen table is a beautifully waxed slab of maple.
Tea, or dinner as we call it having metamorphosed into middle class FOCs, is cordon bleu prepared by my own fair hand.
So fuck off, ye cheeky young whippersnapper. :--)
(Note. The writer is registered deaf, dumb, blind and daft)

It seems far too complicated for a FOC like you mate. Perhaps you'd be better sending for a Kays catalogue and thumbing through to the lingerie section for a good owd J Arthur Rank over a bit of nipple and fanny fluff.

The good old days; )
I find the Kays Catalogue version of Bluemoon is always out of date (Buzzer had a good game last week) and, so a friend told me, a tablet gives access to a much better class of...er.... 'lingerie'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.