Moldova, Transnistria, and Albania

purplenose

Having decided to fly to Corfu in September and catching a ferry to Albania then taking a couple of weeks to make my way up to Zadar to join the good lady for her two week sabbatical, it suddenly struck me that travelling through Albania could involve all sorts of fun and games...anyone one here been done it, maybe set of for a couple of weeks like me are still there 12months later waiting for a bus?

Much to my delight I have also been given international clearence for a couple of solo trips....So I thought where would be about the weirdest place in Europe where not many have been I could go, Transnistria and Moldova seem to fit the bill and with cheap flights to Romania it seems do able, Was looking at Georgia but dont think I have the bottle for that one on my todd.

So any thoughts anyone been and seen these places?

Got a 11 day break there myself in August although mainly in montenegro.stepping into albania for 3 days so any advice will be welcomed. Mainly be around the shkoder area.

Got a 11 day break there myself in August although mainly in montenegro.stepping into albania for 3 days so any advice will be welcomed. Mainly be around the shkoder area.

Indeed any tales of Montenegro would be welcome as I also will be going there on my travels. Is the crumpet as nice as in Croatia? If so extra heart tablets will be taken.

zadar`s gorgeous,2-3 days relaxing with sights, go to promenade for galaxy lights and sounds of sea through prom pipes. i know nothing of the surrounding areas, so enjoy and take care blue!

I've been to Sarandë in Albania from Corfu a few times. It was really interesting to watch it change over the years. First time I went was in 2006 and it was almost third world - gangs of lads coming out of shops to stare, shops selling rusty horse shoes, big craters in the street (looked down into one and a lady was hanging her washing down there).

Its really come along these days, and i'd go so far as to say that Southern Albania will be the next big European destination. A pint will be dirt cheap in the less touristic towns. Say no to the homemade raki.

Having decided to fly to Corfu in September and catching a ferry to Albania then taking a couple of weeks to make my way up to Zadar to join the good lady for her two week sabbatical, it suddenly struck me that travelling through Albania could involve all sorts of fun and games...anyone one here been done it, maybe set of for a couple of weeks like me are still there 12months later waiting for a bus?

Much to my delight I have also been given international clearence for a couple of solo trips....So I thought where would be about the weirdest place in Europe where not many have been I could go, Transnistria and Moldova seem to fit the bill and with cheap flights to Romania it seems do able, Was looking at Georgia but dont think I have the bottle for that one on my todd.

So any thoughts anyone been and seen these places?

Not been myself, but I work with an Albanian lad and I can ask his opinion if you like?

Be better doing down to Vlorë. A bit more civilised and good beach etc. Be careful in Moldova, some pretty tasty fellas who won't think twice about robbing you if they see you're foreign, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Kotor is good to go and see in Montenegro, especially if you can hire a car or book onto a tour and see it from the surrounding mountains, stunning scenery. Also Perast nearby, where there is an old church on an island. As a rule of thumb, the Serbs and Montenegrins are a bit more hard faced than the Croats, but there's plenty of tourism in Montenegro these days, despite it being quite a poverty stricken place.

Not been myself, but I work with an Albanian lad and I can ask his opinion if you like?

All advice would be welcome, more so from a local. I am hearing only good things about Albania though the place sounds nutty as hell. Which in turn means it will suite me down to the ground. Apparently across the Balkans its not considered strange a 50 odd yr old bloke back packing round the place.

I will be bricking it for about three weeks before I go as it will be the first more adventurous trip I have done for about 25years. Fucked if I know what has set this sudden need to go finding new places thought I had got that out of my system years ago.

Indeed any tales of Montenegro would be welcome as I also will be going there on my travels. Is the crumpet as nice as in Croatia? If so extra heart tablets will be taken.

My ERO went to Montenegro last year. He seemed to be delighted with the venue. He didn't mention whether crumpets were available at breakfast, nor did he mention that he could buy a chip muffin in Podgorica!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.