Monaco - Post Match thread.

Absolutely nothing pal.

I have seen various words used in recent days about it being brave going to Monaco, how surprisingly expensive it was, and with regards my own response to that the 800 should be acknowledged for making the expensive trip.

I don't see the money being spent and the tripe standard of football being mutually exclusive, that's all.

It was ever thus, even when we were shit and losing at Highfield Road, that players would skulk off the pitch if they had lost, embarrassed and, yes, regularly thoughtless.

Irrespective of the first-half downing of tools in Monaco, nobody owes anybody anything, and that goes both ways.

Fair play to John Stones, who seems a decent lad.

And Pep has gone out of his way this season to make that type of acknowledgement a more regular occurence.

I agree, its far from brave to head to Monaco, those who went could afford it although a lot, like me, did it on the cheap via various European cities. Brave, was the boat to Iceland...

Pep has publicly called out our support on several occasions, so I think its fair to call him out when he completely, almost to the point of deliberately, ignores the travelling support. At half time, I kid you not, the whole end to a man, rose to bellow out encouragement and lift the team. It really was truly special and something I've not experienced before. The players saw it, must have felt it and I'm sure that that may have had more of an impact than any team talk...sorry Pep.

Now, I don't want anyone to blow smoke up anyones arse, but come on, if John Stones can do it, why the fuck cant the rest of 'em?

Pep: I’m so happy with the squad, the speculation is normal when you’re out of the completion, it happens everywhere not just the PL.

Pep: Lessons can be learned, that’s pretty sure... For a lot of my players it’s the first time they’ve played in this competition.

Pep: Most of the goals we conceded were our mistake, its happened many time this season and hopefully it will happen less next season

Pep: We can’t play the way we did in the first 45 minutes, that’s why we are out. But over the two legs, I am very happy.

Pep: We have to improve and we are going to try to be more stable in the next season. There is a big gap to improve

Sorry pal, only just got on. I was looking through the City NewsNow page last night and Clichy, Sagna and Stones were all been quoted as admitting they didnt follow the managers instructions during the game (especially first half).

No probs mate....So then the question has to be WHY?

Pep: I’m so happy with the squad, the speculation is normal when you’re out of the completion, it happens everywhere not just the PL.

Pep: Lessons can be learned, that’s pretty sure... For a lot of my players it’s the first time they’ve played in this competition.

Pep: Most of the goals we conceded were our mistake, its happened many time this season and hopefully it will happen less next season

Pep: We can’t play the way we did in the first 45 minutes, that’s why we are out. But over the two legs, I am very happy.

Pep: We have to improve and we are going to try to be more stable in the next season. There is a big gap to improve
The first time? Apart from Stones I'm sure they've all played plenty in it.

Great post, how many times have we heard these same old excuses.this team cost a lot of money to assemble and they all say they joined city to play Cl.this lot looked frightened to death when they came out for the game. Two goals up from the first leg, why weren't they confident and grab the chance for the semis.we have no leader, no one to rev the fuck out of them like vinnie used to, just mediocre resistance. I mean it wasn't even Barca or Bayern it was Monaco ffs.and if I hear once more they are a great side when we have spent 200 mil( aren't we supposed to be a great side.) we need players with bottle and fight, skill is not enough without heart.

Should have sailed into the next round!

It's Friday and I am still bewildered by what I saw on Wednesday evening. City were completely outclassed and outplayed in every department of the game by a team which was quicker in both thought and movement, and I have to give credit to a superb Monaco side on the night. They were simply too good for us. We were too strong for them at the Etihad but in Monaco they were far and away the better side. Obviously, I can't say they would have beaten anyone on the night but it would have taken an excellent team to hold them and on the night City were a long way short of excellence and I don't know why. It wasn't lack of effort, it wasn't lack of ability and it wasn't lack of planning. The papers have given it Pep in the neck for fielding an eleven which was too attacking, but who should have played who didn't? Ya Ya is mentioned but Ya Ya's weaknesses are defensive and I think he would have struggled with the pace of the Monaco team. We may well have been crucifying Ya Ya today for being played round too easily. The sad fact is that with the possible exception of Ya Ya no-one on our bench was anything other than a mile short of those already on the pitch, though personally I might except Zaba from that. That was - and it pains me to say it - as near as damn it to our best eleven and on the night Monaco made mincemeat of it. We had been warned. Pep had been telling all of us how we had to play and hammering the message home at every opportunity - and on the night we couldn't do it.

Partially this was an "on the night" matter - we had an awful night where none of our players were anything like their norm, let alone their best. Fernandinho was swamped because he couldn't make an accurate ten yard pass in the first half at least and Silva, KdB, Sterling and Sane seemed to be content to observe, rather than play in the match. Clichy and Sagna were played out of the game by forwards who were too good for them. We have to accept that many of our team were not good enough on the night and some are simply not good enough at all. Willy did OK but will never be a keeper in a team which wins the CL. The problem in our goal is not that Joe is now in Turin so much as that his replacement has had his worst season ever, a real nightmare. We know the full backs are not good enough and are too old. It seems unlikely that Vinnie will ever lead our team again. All I can say is that Pep did try to bring in Bellerin, Bonucci, Laporte, the two lads from Atletico to bolster the defence which shows he was aware of the problems, but they wouldn't come... He's sure to try again this summer. We couldn't adopt a more defensive approach on Wednesday because we haven't got the players. And we couldn't attack until Monaco showed signs of being unable to keep the level of intensity up in the second half.

So, at the moment I think promises of jam tomorrow will have to be our diet. I do believe that Pep has been aware of the problems since his earliest days at the club and he will bring us a very successful future but it certainly didn't begin on Wednesday night.

It's Friday and I am still bewildered by what I saw on Wednesday evening. City were completely outclassed and outplayed in every department of the game by a team which was quicker in both thought and movement, and I have to give credit to a superb Monaco side on the night. They were simply too good for us. We were too strong for them at the Etihad but in Monaco they were far and away the better side. Obviously, I can't say they would have beaten anyone on the night but it would have taken an excellent team to hold them and on the night City were a long way short of excellence and I don't know why. It wasn't lack of effort, it wasn't lack of ability and it wasn't lack of planning. The papers have given it Pep in the neck for fielding an eleven which was too attacking, but who should have played who didn't? Ya Ya is mentioned but Ya Ya's weaknesses are defensive and I think he would have struggled with the pace of the Monaco team. We may well have been crucifying Ya Ya today for being played round too easily. The sad fact is that with the possible exception of Ya Ya no-one on our bench was anything other than a mile short of those already on the pitch, though personally I might except Zaba from that. That was - and it pains me to say it - as near as damn it to our best eleven and on the night Monaco made mincemeat of it. We had been warned. Pep had been telling all of us how we had to play and hammering the message home at every opportunity - and on the night we couldn't do it.

Partially this was an "on the night" matter - we had an awful night where none of our players were anything like their norm, let alone their best. Fernandinho was swamped because he couldn't make an accurate ten yard pass in the first half at least and Silva, KdB, Sterling and Sane seemed to be content to observe, rather than play in the match. Clichy and Sagna were played out of the game by forwards who were too good for them. We have to accept that many of our team were not good enough on the night and some are simply not good enough at all. Willy did OK but will never be a keeper in a team which wins the CL. The problem in our goal is not that Joe is now in Turin so much as that his replacement has had his worst season ever, a real nightmare. We know the full backs are not good enough and are too old. It seems unlikely that Vinnie will ever lead our team again. All I can say is that Pep did try to bring in Bellerin, Bonucci, Laporte, the two lads from Atletico to bolster the defence which shows he was aware of the problems, but they wouldn't come... He's sure to try again this summer. We couldn't adopt a more defensive approach on Wednesday because we haven't got the players. And we couldn't attack until Monaco showed signs of being unable to keep the level of intensity up in the second half.

So, at the moment I think promises of jam tomorrow will have to be our diet. I do believe that Pep has been aware of the problems since his earliest days at the club and he will bring us a very successful future but it certainly didn't begin on Wednesday night.
Quality post that mate I totally agree we need to start thinking longer term, judge pep in nxt 18mths when he's got the squad he wants

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.