Money can't buy happiness

bluenova

It looks like this is true for many of you.

Ten years ago, if you'd told me we'd be in the top four, looking forward to a Wembley FA Cup Semi against the rags, and that many fans would be complaining I'd have laughed in your face.

A couple of points to remember:

1. Just because we have money doesn't mean we should be ahead of Chelsea, Utd, and Arsenal. The three teams above us have been outspending us for years and have had huge wage bills for a lot longer than we have. All have been to Champions League finals recently. Even if we bought 11 new, better players, there are still enough top class players around for them to compete with us. Arsenal have a wage bill well over £100m, yet haven't won a trophy for five years. The money has brought us to the table where the top clubs have been troffing, but you can't buy the top seat. We'll spend the next ten years competing and finally winning trophies, but we may never be the top club in the world.

2. Don't be a victim of greed. I know you want success, and I know you want it as soon as possible...but, we're getting greedier by the day. Our players are getting as much abuse on here as they ever have - a bluemoon fantasy eleven would only have three players in it! We need a reality check - the season doesn't need saving, we're not the worst team in the league, we're not the most boring team around.

"Infinite" money cannot equal "infinite" expectations - we need to understand that. We need to take a step back and realise that we'll be playing in Europe regularly. We need to realise that being disappointed in losing away at Chelsea is a good thing for a fan. We need to realise that there will be more semi's and even finals. We need to realise that if we continue with this attitude, we won't ever enjoy the ride.

Great Post....

although I'm all for debate and people looking at ways things can improve and discussing the things that are not right..it's the out and out over reaction that really stirs up the crap on here.

bluenova said:
Our players are getting as much abuse on here as they ever have - a bluemoon fantasy eleven would only have three players in it!

That made me laugh a bit :)

I think people are confusing "investment" which brings in good players, and "sustained investment" which brings in good trophy hauls.

bluenova said:

Ten years ago, if you'd told me we'd be in the top four, looking forward to a Wembley FA Cup Semi against the rags, and that many fans would be complaining I'd have laughed in your face.

1. Just because we have money doesn't mean we should be ahead of Chelsea, Utd, and Arsenal. The three teams above us have been outspending us for years and have had huge wage bills for a lot longer than we have. All have been to Champions League finals recently. Even if we bought 11 new, better players, there are still enough top class players around for them to compete with us. Arsenal have a wage bill well over £100m, yet haven't won a trophy for five years. The money has brought us to the table where the top clubs have been troffing, but you can't buy the top seat. We'll spend the next ten years competing and finally winning trophies, but we may never be the top club in the world.

2. Don't be a victim of greed. I know you want success, and I know you want it as soon as possible...but, we're getting greedier by the day. Our players are getting as much abuse on here as they ever have - a bluemoon fantasy eleven would only have three players in it! We need a reality check - the season doesn't need saving, we're not the worst team in the league, we're not the most boring team around.

"Infinite" money cannot equal "infinite" expectations - we need to understand that. We need to take a step back and realise that we'll be playing in Europe regularly. We need to realise that being disappointed in losing away at Chelsea is a good thing for a fan. We need to realise that there will be more semi's and even finals. We need to realise that if we continue with this attitude, we won't ever enjoy the ride.

Another one who went to York..?

;-))

Reminds me of a a few years ago when one of my kids was doing a school project on World War 2 and the impact on the day-to-day life of ordinary people. My parents talked about life during wartime, rationing, etc. plus all the things they had ot do that we have machines for now.

One of the kids asked "Life must be happier now than it was then?" and they were shocked when my mum thought about it and said "Actually they were very happy times and probably better than now in many ways." When they asked why that was, she said that nobody had much money , they all lived in the same sort of house, looked out for each other instead of trying to outdo each other and only spent what they earned instead of being burdened with debt. They knew what their expectations were and were happy with them.

Doesn't that sum up our problem at the moment? we've waited patiently, knowing that 40 points by March was good enough but now we're in sight of the really big prizes and suddenly 40 points in March is not enough.

That's going in my King of the Kippax article.

Good post....I'm a glass half full kind of guy.
F.A Cup will do me, it's one of only 3 domestic trophy's which will go on our honors list........not really bothered about qualification for a difficult to win competition (we hardly need the money do we! Which is why the competition in it's current format was created).

bluenova said:

good post
i hope it makes a few reassess their largesse over the last few weeks

Are your expectations higher now than 10 years ago?

This is what I don't understand about these threads. People say x years ago we'd have been crazy to be unhappy. But x years ago we didn't have a multibillionaire prince who desires world dominance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.