Moral dilemma

andyhinch

Homeless guy in Newcastle approached me this week, he was completely straight with me, said he was an alcoholic and could I help him out, I’ve not been far off the same in my life, gave him a fiver but feel like I should have got him a good meal and a pint, I’m not known for being soft hearted, but it’s playing on my mind, not sure there’s a question in that ;-)

You gave and that's a nice thing to do. You really have nothing to question yourself about. I took my daughter to a show and was shocked at how many homeless people there were in our town centre. I gave what I could but it's so sad that this is happening in this day and age.

He probbably paid for £5 worth of booze instead of stealing it. There are better ways to help but they dont force themselves on you in the same way.

Homeless guy in Newcastle approached me this week, he was completely straight with me, said he was an alcoholic and could I help him out, I’ve not been far off the same in my life, gave him a fiver but feel like I should have got him a good meal and a pint, I’m not known for being soft hearted, but it’s playing on my mind, not sure there’s a question in that ;-)
Its very very sad.
There is no governmental help for addicts, these people could be helped but they are not, its left to charities like the Sally Army.
people say its their fault they choose to be addicts, but its usually a mental illness of some kind that draws them into addiction, once you are addicted (like to alcohol) its extremely hard to stop drinking.

You were generous giving him a fiver mate, its hard to decide what to do when confronted by someone like that, only afterwards do you think 'I could have done this or that'

Shame on the government for not helping the homeless get treatment and a bed.

Last edited:

You tight bastad! Should have take him on the piss and a big steak. Get back up there!

The advice is not to give them money, because it exacerbates the problem. But it's hard and I'd not criticise anyone for having a heart.

He's an alcoholic and you were going to buy him a pint?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.