Morrissey - The Falkland Islands belong to Argentina

BlueRob01 said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Why do they ''belong'' to Britain?

Because we were the first nation to settle there. Before Argentina even existed. We did not conquer any indigenous population and there is no evidence of any earlier settlements.

Now this may be a radical idea I know, but if anybody there wants to remain British they can.
Come and live in an island called Britain.
Simple.

Eh? So by that logic anyone who wants to remain Irish, Scottish, Indian etc, should move back to there own place of origin, to be fair I don't think you have really thought this through have you?

BlueRob01 said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Because we were the first nation to settle there. Before Argentina even existed. We did not conquer any indigenous population and there is no evidence of any earlier settlements.

Now this may be a radical idea I know, but if anybody there wants to remain British they can.
Simple.

Funnily enough they want to remain Falkand Islanders.

Living where their families have always lived.

Weird huh?

Citizenhill said:
Gelsons Dad said:
Citizenhill said:
His opinion, you could argue all day long about it, but for the fact of the matter it's more about the people living on the islands rather than who it actually belongs to (which is definitely Argentina) and that's the problem for me.

Could you explain in historical context why the Falkland "actually belong to" Argentina?

I can't and I won't pretend to know. Just fucking stupid a bunch of islands half way around the world, closest to Argentina, are owned by us. Some stuck up British mentality suddenly thinks we deserve them.
London is closer to Portugal than Buenos Aires is to the Falklands so that argument is fucking bollocks.

Well done for trying.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Why does Texas "belong" to the USA?

Why does Northern Ireland belong to Great Britain? (which is what I guess Morrissey is really relating to the Argentinians)

Because "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" wouldn't make any sense otherwise would it? ;-)

The will of the local people is what Northern Ireland and The Falklands have in common.
As a footnote, I have always said partition in 1921 was a mistake, but we have to take the world as we find it in many instances - for better or worse - and this is one of those occasions.

So..... you invade a country, install lots of ''your people'' to live and work there (and make sure you don't employ any indigenous people), so much so that over time, ''your people'' become the majority and then everything else you do in that land is alright to do so, because the majority go along with it! Great!

Balti said:
The Falkland Islanders were there before ''Argentina'' even existed.

The Argies were still killing the natives that populated the land that they stole to create their country at that point

Hypocrites
Well said, but the hypocrite "right on" gobshites won't listen to you.

BlueRob01 said:
TCIB said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Because we fought and died for them and won. The same way land disputes have been settled since forever.

Doesn't make it right though surely? In the Falklands or anywhere.

Exactly - just how far do we go back? Can Rome still have a claim on Britain? Or the Danes?

BlueRob01 said:
TCIB said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Because we fought and died for them and won. The same way land disputes have been settled since forever.

Doesn't make it right though surely? In the Falklands or anywhere.

Maybe its because they have always lived there?

Have never had fuck all to do with a hostile Argentina that have tried to acquire their homeland by force 30 years ago.

Or is it wrong that they wish to remain where their families have lived for centuries and retain their link with the UK?

Balti said:
BlueRob01 said:
Gelsons Dad said:

Simple.

Funnily enough they want to remain Falkand Islanders.

Living where their families have always lived.

Weird huh?

Not sure anyone is sugesting they can't or shouldn't be able to.
I wasn't at least.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.