moss side early 80s

remember playing norwich and a familywere walking down claremont rd (norwich fans) and there was about 10 black lads with bandanas covering their faces at the bottom end. they were ill with fear and started talking to me and my mate who were walking to the game. we told them they could walk with us they d be ok. This was the time there was better shooting outside the ground than in!

when we walked them to their turnstiles the dad tried to pay us money such was his relief!

them wer't days

Used to play five a side at Moss Side leisure centre on Wednesday nights in the early-mid 80s as a teenager. Fucking hell, that was lively and you soon learned to wear your 'game face' and how not to show any fear. Loved it, though. We were a mixed black and white team and some of the brothers used to call us 'Borstal'.

My nana lived just off Platt lane, I used to get a chair and sit in the garden when City were playing and listen for the cheers or boo's. My first city shirt with the SAAB sponser on. I'll never forget the first time my dad said you coming to the game with me today . That walk from Platt lane to to ground, the banter, the cobbled back alleys all leading to the grounds, and then the buzz of concourse of the kippax. Memories that I will never forget.

salfordpaul said:
remember playing norwich and a familywere walking down claremont rd (norwich fans) and there was about 10 black lads with bandanas covering their faces at the bottom end. they were ill with fear and started talking to me and my mate who were walking to the game. we told them they could walk with us they d be ok. This was the time there was better shooting outside the ground than in!

when we walked them to their turnstiles the dad tried to pay us money such was his relief!

them wer't days

Was that the 6-0 cup game ?

Spent my first 9 years in Moss Side. Lived on Claremont Road (No. 198, near the corner with broadfield Road); about 5 minutes walk from Maine Road. Who else was I going to support; the other mob? Happy days spent playing in ''Alec Park'', going to Bishop Bilsborrow School on Princess Road (next to the bus depot; gone now) and going swimming at Broadfield Road baths. Moved to Longsight in late '73.

jimharri said:
Spent my first 9 years in Moss Side. Lived on Claremont Road (No. 198, near the corner with broadfield Road); about 5 minutes walk from Maine Road. Who else was I going to support; the other mob? Happy days spent playing in ''Alec Park'', going to Bishop Bilsborrow School on Princess Road (next to the bus depot; gone now) and going swimming at Broadfield Road baths. Moved to Longsight in late '73.

I was born in Ridgeway Street (just off Kippax Street) 1970 in my grans house. Used to mind cars on match day on Cowesby Street (my nans house) in the early 80s. Remember well the times when the gates opened and me and my cousin could get in to watch the last 10mins from the back of the stand. Happy days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.