Moss Side Shooting and Street Party

One is a potential act of terror. It has been labelled as such and got the expected response for being so. They still haven’t commented publicly on his motive. He could simply be a mentally disturbed man, similar to the woman that stabbed the child in Bolton.

More people will have died from terror attacks than shootings in Moss Side in the past 10 years, so why is one a shock and the other expected?

As I said, a terror attack invokes a more fearful response, especially when they occur in places where the majority of society are getting on with life. A murder at an event that shouldn't have happened in an area with a dodgy rep doesn't generate the same response. One's a "god, will they attack where I go next time" compared to "oh, well we'll keep staying away from that area". It's the "anywhere" vs "over there" reality of it.

I suspect you want to bring other things in to points score but that's your limitation. As for your motive point, I'm comfortable with the police's current position. They'll have the most information at present to make that judgement.

As I said, a terror attack invokes a more fearful response, especially when they occur in places where the majority of society are getting on with life. A murder at an event that shouldn't have happened in an area with a dodgy rep doesn't generate the same response. One's a "god, will they attack where I go next time" compared to "oh, well we'll keep staying away from that area". It's the "anywhere" vs "over there" reality of it.

I suspect you want to bring other things in to points score but that's your limitation. As for your motive point, I'm comfortable with the police's current position. They'll have the most information at present to make that judgement.

All I have done is ask why there is such a stark difference in response. You keep mentioning point scoring. I’ll say it’s 15-15 if it makes you happy.

You’ve put forward your view, which I thank you for. I don’t wholly agree with it, but it is what it is.

We don’t know the full details on either attack, yet both have been assumed as terrorism and gangland respectively.

Narratives have been set.

All I have done is ask why there is such a stark difference in response. You keep mentioning point scoring. I’ll say it’s 15-15 if it makes you happy.

You’ve put forward your view, which I thank you for. I don’t wholly agree with it, but it is what it is.

We don’t know the full details on either attack, yet both have been assumed as terrorism and gangland respectively.

Narratives have been set.

That's your perspective. The only narrative I've read is the one you've been trying to infer in this thread, but each to their own.

That's your perspective. The only narrative I've read is the one you've been trying to infer in this thread, but each to their own.

Indeed. I think it highlights what the BLM movement is actually trying to change.

One set of murders. Outrage.
Another set. Meh.

Indeed. I think it highlights what the BLM movement is actually trying to change.

One set of murders. Outrage.
Another set. Meh.

If you want to strip all context and reality out, that might have been true.

How about not killing people? That would be the sort of change that society and those communities would benefit from.

How about not killing people? That would be the sort of change that society and those communities would benefit from.

In total agreement with that. I’ll even give it a like.

Blimey, if I get that many posts into a discussion with someone I'm normally one reply away from being offered out via PM for a scrap at the next home game.

I’m not trying to have or encourage an argument. It genuinely piqued my interest. Of course it’s human nature to defend the innocent, which the 3 victims in Reading steadfastly are. (Unless they breeched social distancing laws. You’ll see why I said this here when you’ve read the next paragraph)

What is more interesting for me is that the two men shot in Moss Side have been labelled as gangsters and were targeted by another gang, when nothing of the sort has been reported. The only thing they are currently guilty of is a social distancing breech, yet they aren’t mourned in the same way.

It’s mostly the narrative that has been set by the reporting of the incidents, but also the history of violence in Moss Side, even though it’s the same as anywhere else these days.

Communities would. Gangs wouldnt. You are applying a logic appropriate to how your street or estate or circle of friends behave. Gangs are not like that, they consist of members we cant relate to. Gang members are groomed, they pick up on vulnerable kids missing dads, mums or whatever we think make safe cohesive units and they replicate them and replace them in the eyes of those kids. Sell some drugs over there and I'll buy some trainers. here is your new tracksuit. Then its here is your new car. Then its thank me for buying you those things, and then its you owe me. And thats where the trouble starts. Loyalty. Warfare. All kinds of silly terms. I think they are all cunts for it, and they are. But they are in it and it means things to them. Just like whatever means stuff to lone nutter terrorists.

I’m not trying to have or encourage an argument. It genuinely piqued my interest. Of course it’s human nature to defend the innocent, which the 3 victims in Reading steadfastly are. (Unless they breeched social distancing laws. You’ll see why I said this here when you’ve read the next paragraph)

What is more interesting for me is that the two men shot in Moss Side have been labelled as gangsters and were targeted by another gang, when nothing of the sort has been reported. The only thing they are currently guilty of is a social distancing breech, yet they aren’t mourned in the same way.

It’s mostly the narrative that has been set by the reporting of the incidents, but also the history of violence in Moss Side, even though it’s the same as anywhere else these days.

Well I can't speak for reporting. I can only offer the reaction on face value to the 2 incidents and my honest opinion on why terrorism invokes a higher level of response.

I saw barely any response on here to the house fire or the various other murders that have happened in the past week. Terrorism just invokes a different emotional response. I can't speak for the narrative, but equally, the BLM initiative and its famous celebrity spokepeople could be all over social media highlighting how awful the Moss Side incident was and condemn the killers as an indictment of the problem they're trying to overcome. It's not apparent to me that that's happening, but it wouldn't fit with the narrative portrayed by the movement and their culpability (as has the likes of beachgoers and Cummings before I get jumpeed on) for social distancing being breached and at least the Moss Side incident happening, if not Reading too. The difference in narrative on social distancing maybe small groups in a park vs an unauthorised mass gathering, but that's me speculating.

It's wrong if both broke the guidelines, we know Moss Side did, we don't with Reading but either way neither group deserved the outcome. I can't speak for the media narrative, they're often a vile law unto themselves. Anger at people attending mass gatherings and the risk of spreading of Covid when they go home doesn't honestly factor into this in my view. Peed off people are flouting it yes, deeply concerned for my family and friendz but everyone who attends still deserves to go home. I wish society would be more respectful of the sacrifices others have made and I wish we could change the culture, it would be high on my list alongside ending the bloodshed which iz brutal, unnecessary and should not be tolerated anymore, by society as a whole and within every community.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.