Most overrated player in English football

banbury_blue

The arsehole of the country wishing I wasn't here
Who do you think is built up as being so amazing but you just aren't impressed with?

I think mine is Theo Walcott.. He has pace, and thats it, I just don't get the whole media frenzy with this lad? I thought Fabio made the right call not taking him to South Africa or is it just that I don't like him as I feel he is a threat Adam Johnsons international career?

Yes ha has the occasional good game but he never seems to show much consistancy

Walcott (the new generation headless chicken, Ashley Young is much better), Rooney (wank season, a few goals all of a sudden change nothing; terrible for England too), Lampard (great at his best but looks half past it now), Ferdinand (plenty of better defenders around including our own Kompany), Torres (how many years will it take until he isn't on the cusp of regaining his form? He looks Championship level this season and that's no exaggeration).

if English football you mean the league and not international:

Berbatov
Van der Vaart
Wilshere (good player don't get me wrong, but already tipped as the saviour, he isn't, at least not yet)
Essien

To be honest, I think Theo has taken more stick than he deserves. He's never going to be a world beater but he's dangerous and will improve. It's the media that jizzed all over him when he was ridiculously young. Built him up, realised he wasn't that good and have slated him ever since.

He has awesome pace and is a good finisher. Football brain is lacking and I doubt he'll grow one, but he is a good player to have.

I think Gerrard is the most overrated player. Often gets called world class by some sections of the media due to his ability to drag a shitty liverpool team out of the mire. This is a fantastic trait to have, but he's not in the top tier of midfielders for me. Perhaps because nobody really has figured out what position for him to play regularly.

Terry is also overrated. Good technically, good leader, comfortable on the ball. Gets caught out positionally against the best opponents. Not as good as Kompany.

Petr Cech
Ryan Giggs - perennially over-rated.
Nani
Frank Lampard - was once an exceptionally clever player, especially off the ball.
Van der Vaart

At the minute, I might add, there's a global dearth of top-class strikers. I would say the best at the minute is Villa, but everyone else seem to be relatively poor. The most famous strikers in the prem at the minute are all so predictable, and are definitely over-rated. These include:

Drogba,
Rooney,
Van Persie,
Torres.

At the moment, Tevez is probably the best striker in the premier league, but even still, he's over-rated by most. I say that because he's lacks the natural ability of strikers from years gone by, and only begins to make up for it with an astonishing work-ethic.

P.S. Omitting Walcott from the world cup squad was a big error. No defender in the world would want him to come off the bench after 70 minutes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.