Most underrated player in Premier League history

Braggster

If we're having a thread on the most overrated premier league player, I think it's only fair to have one on the most underrated players.

For me, Scholes, Schmeichel, Given, Ferdinands Les and Rio and Lampard would all be on the list, even though every single one of them is a big name.

Scholes, for me, is unquestionably the best rag youth product, and a player of almost unique ability in premier league history.

Schmeichel and Given purely because they are/were great goalies, and goalies never ever get adequate credit for their contribution - they are systemically underrated.

Les Ferdinand is something of a forgotten man these days, but he was a complete centre forward who was a key man in KK's great newcastle sides.

Rio, again, gets a lot of credit, but he has been so good for so many years that no-one comes close IMO. Simply brilliant, even if he is a tosser.

Lampard has been the best player in the PL over the last 6-7 years bar none, and never gets the recognition he deserves.

If we're restricting it to City players, I would include Berkovic, even though he didn't play many PL games for us. Quality player who didn't have the career he should've done. And going further back, Quinn: scored, set up, made sometimes-crap teammates look much better than they were.

Hollywood Blue said:
felixbg said:

One of a small group of rags I wouldn't have "minded" seeing play for us instead, most of them are ***** though.

Interesting how Scholes is thought of as a poor tackler. This is a myth. His dirty tackles are perfectly deliberate. Edgar Davids singles Scholes out as one of the toughest players he's faced in the latest FourFourTwo. It's a facet of his game that goes almost unnoticed.

Great player: unbelievable technical ability, great vision and understanding of the game, and an amazing eye for goal.

Giggs gets more plaudits, but I'd take Scholes every time.

Braggster said:
Hollywood Blue said:
One of a small group of rags I wouldn't have "minded" seeing play for us instead, most of them are ***** though.

Interesting how Scholes is thought of as a poor tackler. This is a myth. His dirty tackles are perfectly deliberate. Edgar Davids singles Scholes out as one of the toughest players he's faced in the latest FourFourTwo. It's a facet of his game that goes almost unnoticed.

Great player: unbelievable technical ability, great vision and understanding of the game, and an amazing eye for goal.

Giggs gets more plaudits, but I'd take Scholes every time.
the majority of blues would of liked to have scholes more than any other rag player.
as for city, i would say claudio reyna.i thought he was a great footballer but didnt seem to be appreciated by the masses.injuries didnt help him though.

For years with us, Richard Dunne was the most underrated player in the premier league and is now getting the recognition as being right up there with the best, and rightly so.

Also, and not just because hes city, but Shay Given. For years people went on about the schmeichaels, Seamans, Cechs, Van Der Saars but Givens been peforming at the same level he is for city for years and years at newcastle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.