Most unlucky player ever

For a single incident:
Denis Law whose 6 goals against Luton were scrubbed off when the game was abandoned. If they had counted, he would have finished as the all time leading scorer in the FA cup, plus record goals in a single match.

Great call. Well before my time but I remember reading about it some years ago. I didn't realise it cost Denis the record of FA Cup goals and single match goals though. That is just unbelievable. Didn't City also lose the game when they replayed it?? If that's true then that could be the most "City" thing ever.

Great call. Well before my time but I remember reading about it some years ago. I didn't realise it cost Denis the record of FA Cup goals and single match goals though. That is just unbelievable. Didn't City also lose the game when they replayed it?? If that's true then that could be the most "City" thing ever.
Yeah, typical City lost the replay 2-1 if i remember correctly. And Denis scored in that one as well. 7 goals in the tie, finished on the losing side. YCNMIU !

No no no no
You are all wrong

It is Dave Whelan.

Not many people know that he broke his leg in the 1960 cup final...

Not as unlucky as Ballack but Alan Shearer has had a bit of bad luck during his career when you think about it.

He became the youngest player to have scored a hat-trick in the top flight of English football, that was done on his full debut.

He moves to Blackburn from Southampton and scores 16 goals in 21 appearances before doing in his anterior cruciate ligament which ended his season. He came back and scored 31 goals the following season but Blackburn finish runners up in the league, he was also part of an England team that failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup.

The next season he again scores over 30 goals (34) in the premier league for Blackburn and they win the league which turns out to be his only major trophy.

A third season of over 30 goals follows as does a decent euro 1996 where he’s part of an England team that gets knocked out on penalties in the semi final.

Shearer then moves to his boyhood club Newcastle Utd. They’re a really good stacking team that had finished runners up in the premier league the season before. They again finish runners up in the premier league and Shearer was again for the third season running the leagues top goal scorer.

It was widely reported that Alex Ferguson wanted him at the swamp who were the team that Newcastle had finished runner up too in both seasons. So that’s another runners up medal 1 for Blackburn and 1 for Newcastle and in both occasions the club that wanted him to sign for them had won the title.

Newcastle go shit and he ends up with another 2 runners up medals in the FA Cup. 1 against arsenal in 1998 and the other against Man Utd again which was in 1999. Injuries again hampered his form during this period.

From then Newcastle did pretty much nothing but they did have a decent spell under bobby robson where they got into the champions league. It was also rumoured that bobby robson wanted him at Barcelona when he was the manager there.

So, considering the path his career took him and where it could have took him, the injuries he sustained in his career and the fact he scored over 20 premier league goals on 7 occasions with 3 of those 7 seasons scoring over 30 goals, I believe he’s been a bit unlucky not to have a few more medals than the 1 he has for winning the league with Blackburn.

He also finished 3rd in the ballon d’Or and FIFA world player of the year in 1996 and is still the premier leagues all time record goal scorer.

Maybe if he’d have ended up at Barcelona or dare I say Man Utd. Would he have achieved much, much more and was it luck that played a part in that? His talent and statistics are right up there with some of the most recognised players in world football that have won countless trophy’s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.