MOTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem was that our game wasn't that exciting from a neutral point of view. First half we were much better than they were and the game lacked any drama. Even when they pulled one back I never really had an "oh no here we go again feeling". Just comfortable superiority doesn't make for much of a thrill other than drooling over the quality and to be fair, they'd already covered Arsenal doing the same thing that we were doing. I'm very glad we aren't playing them until December - time to go off the boil a bit hopefully. Beyond Fat Sam's fair analysis (who'd have thought..?) there wasn't a lot more to say.

lewis 93:20 said:
Well we all know that the games further down the show's highlight order get little or no analysis.

This week our game was only infront of swansea 4-0 sunderland and stoke's 0-0 draw so we got no analysis, but its not too bad as on any other Saturday we are usually nearer the front and get all the analysis.

This saturday had a lot of good games and they chose to prioritise the other games that were just as good from a neutral perspective, and weren't televised so people are less likely to see the highlights.

No complaints from me this week
This

FFS, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've watched the coverage twice since and on the balance of things Lewis 93:20 has got it spot on.

Doesn't MotD tend to follow the league table down now? I thought it used to be high scoring games that determined the order but now it seems to be the league table, modified by drama (Cardiff taking the lead at Chelsea). Unless the game is dire with little goalmouth action, any story can be told with highlights, as was proved with yesterday's United-Soton game.

Plaything of the gods said:
Doesn't MotD tend to follow the league table down now? I thought it used to be high scoring games that determined the order but now it seems to be the league table, modified by drama (Cardiff taking the lead at Chelsea). Unless the game is dire with little goalmouth action, any story can be told with highlights, as was proved with yesterday's United-Soton game.
I would guess that if you got a game between two mid table teams that ended 4-4, with two sendings off and a controversial goal or three, they would lead with that game. Otherwise, yes, they'll go with the higher placed sides first. Let's just say that the Stoke/Baggies game was never going to be the first one on last night!

Stato said:
Statt0 said:
Seen worse coverage of us on MOTD to be fair. At least said we were clearly the best team and Shearer was positive.

Bet Southampton fans think there is an agenda....the coverage looked like rags battered them. They showed all 12 of United's attempts and only 2 of Southamptons 17 attempts. 60% possession to Sothampton as well. YCMIU
Having not noticed the stats I did assume the rags were in control and Southampton just created the odd chance.

There wasn't really a lot to talk about in our game when you consider some of the controversy in the other games and the fact it was fairly routine win.

MotD is great at distorting how games really went but the time available for each set of highlights will always make that difficult. Our coverage last night was somewhat perfunctory. I watched both Sky's highlights and MotD; in addition to watching the original live coverage and at times we were scarily good. The quality in our squad really showed at times and I don't think it got full enough acknowledgment on MotD; also our third goal was every bit as good a team goal as the Arsenal one they drooled over but no mention. That said, I'd rather people had to make a fuss over us at the end of the season because we have won the title, again.<br /><br />-- Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:37 am --<br /><br />
SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
strange question, but on motd, do the commentators watch the games love, or do they just commentate the highlights?

They watch live games. I think they often sit in front of a bank of monitors with all the live games on.

squirtyflower said:
nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
Statt0 said:
Seen worse coverage of us on MOTD to be fair. At least said we were clearly the best team and Shearer was positive.

Bet Southampton fans think there is an agenda....the coverage looked like rags battered them. They showed all 12 of United's attempts and only 2 of Southamptons 17 attempts. 60% possession to Sothampton as well. YCMIU
Was just about to post the same. Southampton played them off the park today and it was funny how they showed a couple of passages of Saints play in the analysis that they didn't show in the highlights!
and not forgetting the "and Southampton have stolen a point" scream as they scored a deserved equaliser
Wow. Over here in the US, the announcing team talked about how Southampton's equalizer was no less than they deserved at the very least, and then the panel commentators hammered Moyes.

Match of the day will usually show all the big team first unless their games have been beyond awful. That is because more average viewers want to watch that then say watch highlights of stoke vs west brom

jimharri said:
I would guess that if you got a game between two mid table teams that ended 4-4, with two sendings off and a controversial goal or three, they would lead with that game. Otherwise, yes, they'll go with the higher placed sides first. Let's just say that the Stoke/Baggies game was never going to be the first one on last night!
Yes, it's done on what people want to watch and talk about. By default that is the clubs with the big followings, unless there is major controversy afoot.

SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
strange question, but on motd, do the commentators watch the games love, or do they just commentate the highlights?

Mm, not such a strange question. I've thought for some time they way their comments 'lead into' or set up certain incidents in matches must be more than co-incidental. Certainly completely different from the commentary you hear on a full live game on say itv European coverage.

The "expert" pundits spend all afternoon watching a bank of monitors to look across all games, but the actual match commentaries do sound added afterwards, although they may well be at the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.