Motorhome

5/6 berth?
Really?
Get the 6 of you to imagine being in there all at once, sitting, eating, getting dressed, generally doing all the things you're likely to be doing together.
Then see if you can imagine doing that when a gales blowing for a few hours without wanting to kill someone
Only 2 adults mate the rest are kids, and I suppose it's only a base for night time, no difference to a tent or caravan, just wondered if their is anything obvious I should look out for when buying, with it being out first time and not knowing anything am I better off buying from a 2nd hand dealer than private

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a good number plotted up outside the maisonette shops on Rochdale Road, Collyhurst at the mo....want me to pop round and ask if they'll flog one? Perriwinkle blue perhaps?

We're sat in ours right now in Rotterdam having been touring France for three weeks. Called the ferry company and had them change our ferry crossing from yesterday to Thursday.
The biggest struggle was working out how to get our match tickets here!

I would suggest you go to the motorhome show in October, read up a few motorhome magazines, go round some local dealers.
You need to 'feel' it's right for you. Go in lots and sit down, think what it would be like living in.
Think what you want it for, how many berths, how many forward facing seats with seatbelts, what are you taking with you, how are you going to get about when you arrive on site, what fuels will you use for cooking, heating etc especially when you have no electric hook up, how you going to charge all your gadgets.

We made a list of essentials and non-essentials and then bought the one that most fitted.

I've been working from mine the last two days and the Mrs is currently doing her work.
Just drank a few beers before going to downtown Rotterdam to meet up with some blues.

If you need anything, ask away.
Sounds like a fantastic time you are having, just asking the basics, is their anything I should look for when viewing, do you know what the seatbelt rules are because I have seen some on auto trader that are 5 birth with 4 belts, do you book in advance in your camp sites or do you just sod off and find one when you get to the point of tiredness or see a nice town, how did you find the difference in driving a car to a motorhome, I have looked at a few their is one at emmbee in Heywood that's decent for 17k with a 3 month warranty, do the prices generally come down in the winter? Sorry for mithering you pal

Try the place on Prettywood, on the road to Heywood ? Don't know anyone who has dealt with them, just know they sell em.
Yeah Emmbee, a few within our price range but most are 40-60k gulp

Only 2 adults mate the rest are kids, and I suppose it's only a base for night time, no difference to a tent or caravan, just wondered if their is anything obvious I should look out for when buying, with it being out first time and not knowing anything am I better off buying from a 2nd hand dealer than private

Good luck. An awning to more or less double the space sounds good. Kids can play in it, you can have table and chairs, somewhere to hang wet stuff to drip dry, put bikes and stuff in overnight.

Sounds like a fantastic time you are having, just asking the basics, is their anything I should look for when viewing, do you know what the seatbelt rules are because I have seen some on auto trader that are 5 birth with 4 belts, do you book in advance in your camp sites or do you just sod off and find one when you get to the point of tiredness or see a nice town, how did you find the difference in driving a car to a motorhome, I have looked at a few their is one at emmbee in Heywood that's decent for 17k with a 3 month warranty, do the prices generally come down in the winter? Sorry for mithering you pal

The seatbelt rules have changed over the years.
If you want to carry five people then they should all be facing forward and strapped in with a three point seat belt each.
So far we have been booking in advance, but mostly just a couple of days before rocking up. We did three weeks round England and Wales and booked each site a couple of days in advance of getting there. Saturday night seems to be the breaking point.
We've just done three weeks in France and booked each site before leaving for peace of mind, but we knew where we were going and what we wanted to do in advance so it made it easier. However on the way back we've just turned up as we've gone along. There are places you can stay really cheaply and some are free but with no amenities except an electric hook up and water. We turned up yesterday on chance at a really nice site for €16 including electric, and we were the only tourer there. It had a great looking bar and eaterie but it was shut as it was a Monday.
You're biggest issue is school holidays, everywhere gets booked and we have found it was a lot more expensive than it used to be, about £25-30 a night in the UK for a basic site. We have just paid €45 a night in the South of France!
The long term intention is to just sod off and see where the wind takes us.

The one we have is fucking huge. A lot different to driving a car and rarely go over 55mph. Went for a slightly larger engine because of its weight, it's rated at 3680kg. You want to try and get under 3500kg unless you're an old get like me otherwise you will have to take a test to drive one. If you got your license before 97 you are ok.
The guys at emmbee are really good and we've been down there several times to look at their Burstners and nearly bought one but the Mrs didn't think the kitchen had enough work space.

Not sure about prices going either up or down.
If it's an older diesel engine you won't be able to take it into some European cities, such as where we are now.

The seatbelt rules have changed over the years.
If you want to carry five people then they should all be facing forward and strapped in with a three point seat belt each.
So far we have been booking in advance, but mostly just a couple of days before rocking up. We did three weeks round England and Wales and booked each site a couple of days in advance of getting there. Saturday night seems to be the breaking point.
We've just done three weeks in France and booked each site before leaving for peace of mind, but we knew where we were going and what we wanted to do in advance so it made it easier. However on the way back we've just turned up as we've gone along. There are places you can stay really cheaply and some are free but with no amenities except an electric hook up and water. We turned up yesterday on chance at a really nice site for €16 including electric, and we were the only tourer there. It had a great looking bar and eaterie but it was shut as it was a Monday.
You're biggest issue is school holidays, everywhere gets booked and we have found it was a lot more expensive than it used to be, about £25-30 a night in the UK for a basic site. We have just paid €45 a night in the South of France!
The long term intention is to just sod off and see where the wind takes us.

The one we have is fucking huge. A lot different to driving a car and rarely go over 55mph. Went for a slightly larger engine because of its weight, it's rated at 3680kg. You want to try and get under 3500kg unless you're an old get like me otherwise you will have to take a test to drive one. If you got your license before 97 you are ok.
The guys at emmbee are really good and we've been down there several times to look at their Burstners and nearly bought one but the Mrs didn't think the kitchen had enough work space.

Not sure about prices going either up or down.
If it's an older diesel engine you won't be able to take it into some European cities, such as where we are now.
Wow didn't know that, planning on 5 of us 2 adults 2 kids and a late teenage grump, seems for our price we are looking at models between 98/06 years, seen a few roller team ones which look nice, only seem to find the seats with two forward and two backwards some of the facing backward ones appear to be just lap belts though, would ideally like to do Scotland then a few trips round England before venturing abroad

I bought a 2007 Swift Suntor 590RS around 16 months ago with 37k on the clock. It is 5 berth, 4 travelling seats, full kitchen and bathroom, heating etc. 6.3m long and quite easy to drive. Plenty of room for the 2 of us and the youngest if they come as well.
Key thing to make sure you have is a full cab service history , habitation service and most importantly of all a bang up to date damp report.
Make sure you have enough storage for the stuff you want to do.
Some vans have been converted to LPG so you can fill up at petrol stations instead of gas bottles for a fifth of the cost is a good idea if you intend to do a lot of wild camping.
Plenty of facebook sites for free camping or out of the way places. In summer, best to look and book in advance. Prices range from £15 per night to £35 per night depending on time of year and facilities.
Autotrader have a lot for sale on their site, mainly dealer, and you can tailor your search to suit your needs.
Going to Aberystwyth this weekend for the university openday.
We used to camp but the thought now of turning in at night to a damp cold dark tent is frightening.
It aint cheap so don't think of the cost only the freedom.

It's been interesting.
Took it for a few trips in the Lakes to get used to it then took 18 days round Wales and England finishing at Brighton for the game.
Day after Everton headed south and got to the Cote D'Azur.
When's the draw was made I had a few days thinking about how I could get my Feyenoord tickets here and then decided to stay over for the game.
Love Wales, if you ever want it re running round that way give me a shout :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.