Mourinho played last 10mins with 1 defender vs Kiev

This was in the news 21st Oct after drawing 2-2 at home v the same team:

'The draw means Inter have won only two of 11 Champions League games under Mourinho, continuing the club's dismal trend in Europe's premier competition despite their dominance at home.'

So he didn't manage to tap into that attacking genius in 9 of his previous 11 Champions league games then? The correct description for those tactics is a desperate, last ditch attempt to avoid a potential sacking.

Neville Kneville said:

'The draw means Inter have won only two of 11 Champions League games under Mourinho, continuing the club's dismal trend in Europe's premier competition despite their dominance at home.'

So he didn't manage to tap into that attacking genius in 9 of his previous 11 Champions league games then? The correct description for those tactics is a desperate, last ditch attempt to avoid a potential sacking.

You make a good point and I'm not having a go at you, but it took some balls to make a move like that.
I mean have you ever seen a coach take that formation with 10mins to go? Cup Final, League game, reserves, 5 a side? I've never seen anything like that before hence the point of this thread to highlight a 'special' game.

skybluekings said:
Neville Kneville said:

You make a good point and I'm not having a go at you, but it took some balls to make a move like that.
I mean have you ever seen a coach take that formation with 10mins to go? Cup Final, League game, reserves, 5 a side? I've never seen anything like that before hence the point of this thread to highlight a 'special' game.

We used to play with no defenders from the start at play time.

skybluekings said:
Neville Kneville said:

It happens often when teams are in a similar desperate position in cup games, the difference is that it's normally just called 'chucking everyone forward' but because it involves that bullshit artitst they call it 'tactics'. Usually it also involves someone like the rags or Arsenal breaking away & sticking 4 in at the other end so it's not a particularly successful 'tactic' & doesn't get mentioned.

masterwig said:
It was in a knockout competition. If they had lost then they would have had a tough time to qualify for the next round.

Completely different circumstances to a league game relatively early in the season.

Some people are desperate for something to have a dig at Hughes with.

I agree with all of that, but on the other hand the OP does have a point.

I think City as a team still lack self belief and manifests itself as us too often seeming to be happy with a point. "Well we are away... they were a very good side... etc etc".

You don't see that attitude at Chelsea, Rags especially. To a lesser extent Arse and Dippers. To them a draw is clearly 2 points dropped and they really go all out to try to win.

The rags game this season was a classic. OK they had the ref on their side but they were throwing everything at us to get a win. We were happy to hang on for a point, and look what happened.

Chippy_boy said:
masterwig said:
It was in a knockout competition. If they had lost then they would have had a tough time to qualify for the next round.

Completely different circumstances to a league game relatively early in the season.

Some people are desperate for something to have a dig at Hughes with.

I agree with all of that, but on the other hand the OP does have a point.

I think City as a team still lack self belief and manifests itself as us too often seeming to be happy with a point. "Well we are away... they were a very good side... etc etc".

You don't see that attitude at Chelsea, Rags especially. To a lesser extent Arse and Dippers. To them a draw is clearly 2 points dropped and they really go all out to try to win.

The rags game this season was a classic. OK they had the ref on their side but they were throwing everything at us to get a win. We were happy to hang on for a point, and look what happened.

Have a look at their winning goal again. They had more players around our box than we did because half our team went forward as the ball was cleared. If we'd defended as a team Owen would've been marked but SWP, Ireland etc had gone forward past the ball. We should have been defending properly & going home with the point but didn't.

masterwig said:
Ah fair enough. I thought it was another 'Hughes is too negative' thread albeit a nicely disguised one.

Mourinho is a genius. I don't think he's right for us but I hope he returns to England some day, his interviews alone are good value.

Why do some users feel they have to support Mark Hughes against every negative comment, it is crazy. He is 90%+ a good manager but he does have some weaknesses, it is not a crime to comment on these.

If Jose had lost last night, he would be picking up his cards on his way to the asylum this morning, instead he is a hero, a phenomeon because his big gamble came off.

Criticism of Mark does not mean users want him out, just to improve on those weaknesses; but hey he is a Premiership Manager and we are couch potatoes so I am pretty sure he does not lose much sleep over our occassional offerings of good advice or machinations.

Neville Kneville said:

Exactly, he hasn't done any better than Mancini and he got sacked for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.