Moving to Manchester

Very much depends. In my area, just outside of Manchester, you can pick up a decent 3 bedroomed terraced house for £500 a month. In the City Centre, that will barely get you a bedsit.

Cost of living is reasonable enough. You'd do absolutely fine at that salary range, average wage in the UK is about £23,000 a year.

It's easier to pick a decent area in Manchester than a nasty one. But I live in one of the more run down areas round here and as much as I take the piss out of it, I like it here. You can tell just by looking at the areas if they're alright or not.

As others have said, depends on what type of engineering as that's a broad term. Technically speaking, I'm an engineer and my background is in writing computer software.[/QUOTE
I am working in Constanta s port. Mechanical engineeer, maintenance of vessel, basicaly.
How are the salaries in this sector?

Bloody Foreigners coming over here........ Good luck with the move mate, Gorton is a leafy suburb should be able to get a nice 3 bed condo for about £450pm.
Thanks. We are not decided yet. It depends very much if I can find a good job. And of course, Brexit is a factor.

Very much depends. In my area, just outside of Manchester, you can pick up a decent 3 bedroomed terraced house for £500 a month. In the City Centre, that will barely get you a bedsit.

Cost of living is reasonable enough. You'd do absolutely fine at that salary range, average wage in the UK is about £23,000 a year.

It's easier to pick a decent area in Manchester than a nasty one. But I live in one of the more run down areas round here and as much as I take the piss out of it, I like it here. You can tell just by looking at the areas if they're alright or not.

As others have said, depends on what type of engineering as that's a broad term. Technically speaking, I'm an engineer and my background is in writing computer software.
I work in Constanta s port, basicaly maintenance of vessel engines.

Thanks. We are not decided yet. It depends very much if I can find a good job. And of course, Brexit is a factor.

Look up Cartwrights in Altringham they are coach builders, always looking for workers especially with your back ground. Long hours but it is a start for you.

Based on the prices I was paying when I visited Bucharest, I imagine €2000 will go much further in Constanta than in Manchester, so the lifestyle your family is accustomed to may have to adjust a bit. The weather will be shit for a start. If you're coming to Manchester for the purposes of your children's education, it may be best to select the area you live based on the quality of the schools in that area.

Rightmove and Zoopla are a couple of websites/apps you can use to search for properties and it will show you schools in that area, along with the Ofsted report. Ofsted is a government agency that grades the performances of schools and you should be looking for "Outstanding" if possible. Most schools in this country are struggling for capacity though so living near it is only one factor for children to be able to attend.
Thank you for the info. I can imagine that 2000 is not that much in England, but I suspect that the salaries are higher there, right?
Education of the children is the main reason, but of course I wanna have friends, go to games, just normal life. I wanted to know some things from the people leaving there before I come to check. I have about 1 year, maybe 2, to put everything in order, before my family arrival.

I’d get here before March next year.
After that you’ll have no chance.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.