Mum

Well when we had the conversation with a different GP today, the doctor went through her tablets and said something similar to “oh right, when we prescribe XXXXX we always stop YYYYYY” but no one has ever said that, so she’s been taking both for a while.

Her potassium was high when her bloods were done but not to a worrying level.

We’re now taking her BP twice a day and have another chat with the same GP a week on Monday. Very scary how things missed such as these can cause so much damage. She was halfway down the stairs when she felt unwell, thank Yaya she was able to make it down
OK sounds a bit different as I'm sure it was sodium in her case and almost at zero, but it is quite scary really, and a warning that everyone should keep on top of their older relatives if they're having trouble, the outcome could have been the same, it's also a testimony to how quick the body can recover once the problem is diagnosed, most of us have no idea how much of these chemicals we have or need, and it's very hard to get tests at the moment, we shouldn't have to get difficult, no matter the pandemic situation.

I pushed my dad to start getting a bit more stroppy with the surgery, I wasn't concerned that much with her condition, just how long it had been going on, and them refusing to actually see her, and each week it seemed a little worse (chest and cough) than the last, but it was really getting her down as well.

Anyway glad your mum was also less serious in the end, I'm 150 miles away from mine and haven't seen them since July, but we all need to keep in touch, and on top of any health issues they get, my Mum is 78, and Dad 82 (had both his vaccine jabs now, she neither).

Well when we had the conversation with a different GP today, the doctor went through her tablets and said something similar to “oh right, when we prescribe XXXXX we always stop YYYYYY” but no one has ever said that, so she’s been taking both for a while.

We’re now taking her BP twice a day and have another chat with the same GP a week on Monday. Very scary how things missed such as these can cause so much damage. She was halfway down the stairs when she felt unwell, thank Yaya she was able to make it down
Good to hear your mum is on the mend.
Personally, I would be raising a concern regarding the medication.

I lost my mother when she was 53 and I was aged 30. The doctors didn’t expect her to deteriorate so quickly after a cancer diagnosis. However, we could see she clearly had declined and wasn’t well and this just didn’t seem to register on the scale you’d expect.

Obviously your circumstances are different, but my only advice would be to trust your instincts more than you perhaps dare. You only have one.

All the best, particularly during such challenging times.

OK sounds a bit different as I'm sure it was sodium in her case and almost at zero, but it is quite scary really, and a warning that everyone should keep on top of their older relatives if they're having trouble, the outcome could have been the same, it's also a testimony to how quick the body can recover once the problem is diagnosed, most of us have no idea how much of these chemicals we have or need, and it's very hard to get tests at the moment, we shouldn't have to get difficult, no matter the pandemic situation.

I pushed my dad to start getting a bit more stroppy with the surgery, I wasn't concerned that much with her condition, just how long it had been going on, and them refusing to actually see her, and each week it seemed a little worse (chest and cough) than the last, but it was really getting her down as well.

Anyway glad your mum was also less serious in the end, I'm 150 miles away from mine and haven't seen them since July, but we all need to keep in touch, and on top of any health issues they get, my Mum is 78, and Dad 82 (had both his vaccine jabs now, she neither).
I’m fortunate that I’m less than 5 mins away, in my Dads wisdom he called me before thinking of 999(!).

Absolutely agree RE the human body, and really interesting to hear what happened to you’re, I’ve no idea on mums sodium; I’ll be sure to ask her to ask for her blood results to see what this was.

Again, we’re fortunate that our surgery is pretty much fantastic. Even today, the doctor sorted her BP tablets over the phone and then when we mentioned her leg the doctor asked if we can get in within half an hour, which we did. After a look the doctor prescribed more antibiotics and scheduled another call for a week Monday to review BP readings and asked me to take a picture of the keg today, and the day before the consultations so she can see any differences

I lost my mother when she was 53 and I was aged 30. The doctors didn’t expect her to deteriorate so quickly after a cancer diagnosis. However, we could see she clearly had declined and wasn’t well and this just didn’t seem to register on the scale you’d expect.

Obviously your circumstances are different, but my only advice would be to trust your instincts more than you perhaps dare. You only have one.

All the best, particularly during such challenging times.
Thanks mate, so sorry to hear about yours, we only have one and they’re very very precious.

Good advice on listening to your instincts, something I’ve done for a long time and something my 70 odd year old parents don’t do, mum says “it was just the weather” regarding this week...

Good to hear your mum is on the mend.
Personally, I would be raising a concern regarding the medication.
I will be doing, but right now I just want her on the mend and then I’ll be asking a question as to how it’s happened. Not to create a complaint per se, but to understand how and why, and if any failings, to help other not suffer from
It

Evening all, apologies for the lack of reply.

Thank you for all the replies, it actually took me back somewhat, so I’m pleased I posted it.

Mums home. After 55,000 tests they couldn’t find a specific reason and believe it may be down to a too high dose of BP tablets which caused the sweating, shortness of breath and fainting. We’re in contact with the GP to review.

So whilst we’re still not at the stage of knowing for a fact what the issue is, it’s good to have her back home with the Old Man, she’s eating and drinking and moaning...

Sincere thanks again all.
Great news blue, we only get one mum and they are special.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.