Munich Anniversary

no mate, the sad thing is that a grown man like yourself can't find it within himself to show some respect for 23 people that died in a tragic accident!

Classy that pal!
Ha ha ha Ja. Odd post from you there pal, so I’d guess comprehension isn’t your strong point?

How is me calling out United making money out of a tragedy being disrespectful? I’ve actually called it a sad tragedy. What United did was disrespectful, so no need to be so self righteous

if the boot was on the other foot, I’d be saying exactly the same thing about City & expect fans of other clubs to call City out about it.

Would you also have a problem with that or would that be ok with you as I’m a blue?

Pathetic that pal!

Noticed ‘Munich’ being mentioned more by some match goers in recent times. This includes the Zabaleta song following the line ‘he’s harder than Jaap Stam’ which is now being following by a ‘Munich’ shout. I heard this at the match vs Arsenal and on TV against Fulham at the weekend. A lot of work was done to eradicate this bullshit in the run up to the 50th anniversary of the tragedy in 2008 so a shame to see it creep back in.

Noticed ‘Munich’ being mentioned more by some match goers in recent times. This includes the Zabaleta song following the line ‘he’s harder than Jaap Stam’ which is now being following by a ‘Munich’ shout. I heard this at the match vs Arsenal and on TV against Fulham at the weekend. A lot of work was done to eradicate this bullshit in the run up to the 50th anniversary of the tragedy in 2008 so a shame to see it creep back in.
I always though the line following Jaap Stam, was "who's that" ? I like you hope that the young coke heads aren't using the M word.

Bellends on coke. They will all drop dead early whilst talking a lot of bollocks.

There are lots of angles to it from Cantona making more money for his appearance at a fundraising game than the families decades later to how it affected all Mancunians at the time. It was a Manchester tragedy and I think sometimes that gets lost in both the anti-Utd and pro-Utd stuff fans of both clubs do. A few years back I wrote this lengthy article going in to significant detail about how Manchester responded and how the entire city was affected. It would be worth reading it (or at least skimming through to the bits that you are most interested in).

For me one of the most poignant bits that brings it all home are the memories of City player Steve Fleet who I interviewed for this when I wrote it. He had to break the news to Eddie Colman’s parents of Eddie’s death. Harrowing stuff and it’s well worth remembering that Steve is still often at City games and will hear the word Munich slipping in to songs again. Who knows how he feels and it possibly brings back the painful memories of what he went through. God only knows how chants can affect the families or those who were directly affected at the time. Those uttering Munich in chants may have no idea what it’s all about; others may think it’s a dig at United in some way and so on but surely no one singing it can understand the pain it brings? If they do I have no idea what to say.

There are lots of angles to it from Cantona making more money for his appearance at a fundraising game than the families decades later to how it affected all Mancunians at the time. It was a Manchester tragedy and I think sometimes that gets lost in both the anti-Utd and pro-Utd stuff fans of both clubs do. A few years back I wrote this lengthy article going in to significant detail about how Manchester responded and how the entire city was affected. It would be worth reading it (or at least skimming through to the bits that you are most interested in).

For me one of the most poignant bits that brings it all home are the memories of City player Steve Fleet who I interviewed for this when I wrote it. He had to break the news to Eddie Colman’s parents of Eddie’s death. Harrowing stuff and it’s well worth remembering that Steve is still often at City games and will hear the word Munich slipping in to songs again. Who knows how he feels and it possibly brings back the painful memories of what he went through. God only knows how chants can affect the families or those who were directly affected at the time. Those uttering Munich in chants may have no idea what it’s all about; others may think it’s a dig at United in some way and so on but surely no one singing it can understand the pain it brings? If they do I have no idea what to say.
Cantona arranged for the international team and they hired a stately home type hotel in Cheshire and it covered the entire team's travel and everything.

It was a lot of money but not just his expenses, and was the source The Sun?

Cantona arranged for the international team and they hired a stately home type hotel in Cheshire and it covered the entire team's travel and everything.

It was a lot of money but not just his expenses, and was the source The Sun?
Thanks. Appreciated. My comment comes from a discussion I’ve had with the son of one of those who died and though he loves Utd still he was somewhat disgusted with the expenses he knew about being paid (he’d told me he’d seen the accounts). Obviously, I haven’t but the bottom line of all of this is that the tragedy was a tragedy, and not something that should be used by individuals, rivals, clubs etc. as either a money-making initiative or a means of ’banter’ (using an extremely soft term there for something that is far from soft).

Thanks. Appreciated. My comment comes from a discussion I’ve had with the son of one of those who died and though he loves Utd still he was somewhat disgusted with the expenses he knew about being paid (he’d told me he’d seen the accounts). Obviously, I haven’t but the bottom line of all of this is that the tragedy was a tragedy, and not something that should be used by individuals, rivals, clubs etc. as either a money-making initiative or a means of ’banter’ (using an extremely soft term there for something that is far from soft).
It was in some of the papers at the time, I was in an industrial setting so they were all left around the canteen. It did say EC organised the opposition team and charged them for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.