Music/Songs that you think are masterpieces, but others go "meh"

SkyBlueFlux

Music aficionados, this one is for you.

I think we all have songs which we think are top notch for some reason, but then we show it to other people and they seem completely disinterested. Maybe on this thread we can find some mutual appreciation for our eclectic tastes?

What I want you to do is post a song or piece of music, and tell me why you think it is the dog's bollocks despite the lack of appreciation. I promise you I will listen to as many as I can.

My entry:
Haken - Sempiternal Beings

Why it is a masterpiece: It's 8 and a half minutes long, so maybe a bit too long for a lot of people. It starts off solid enough, then when it gets into the chorus you notice it doesn't quite sound 'right'. That's because when he sings the lyrics "no one's keeping time", he is being quite literal, the crash symbol is playing in a weird time signature - which makes everything sound ever so slightly out of sync and jarring. This happens again for the second chorus.

Then there is this crescendo at 6:30 with a sick guitar solo before everything goes quiet.

Then... at the 7 minute mark, the guitar riff comes in and the chorus goes again but suddenly everything is fucking locked the fuck in. 4/4. No time weirdness. The pay-off is brilliant. Some amazing musicianship from Ray Hearne who is the drummer here.

So go blues - give me your masterpieces and your reasoning.

Music aficionados, this one is for you.

I think we all have songs which we think are top notch for some reason, but then we show it to other people and they seem completely disinterested. Maybe on this thread we can find some mutual appreciation for our eclectic tastes?

What I want you to do is post a song or piece of music, and tell me why you think it is the dog's bollocks despite the lack of appreciation. I promise you I will listen to as many as I can.

My entry:
Haken - Sempiternal Beings

Why it is a masterpiece: It's 8 and a half minutes long, so maybe a bit too long for a lot of people. It starts off solid enough, then when it gets into the chorus you notice it doesn't quite sound 'right'. That's because when he sings the lyrics "no one's keeping time", he is being quite literal, the crash symbol is playing in a weird time signature - which makes everything sound ever so slightly out of sync and jarring. This happens again for the second chorus.

Then there is this crescendo at 6:30 with a sick guitar solo before everything goes quiet.

Then... at the 7 minute mark, the guitar riff comes in and the chorus goes again but suddenly everything is fucking locked the fuck in. 4/4. No time weirdness. The pay-off is brilliant. Some amazing musicianship from Ray Hearne who is the drummer here.

So go blues - give me your masterpieces and your reasoning.

Prog rock really does have a lot to answer for

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.