My final piece on Mark Hughes.

i think rsc & parker would fit in perfectly with what we have, as will bridge. that'd give us a good team as a base, that we can then add some more exotic stuff to. these kind of players will come in very useful at tricky away games, even if we do end up with 'better' players in our squad over summer.

Why do you think there is no potential to improve I believe he knows the players better than he did he is looking to strengthen the side he obviously does not suffer fools. He has exceeded expectations with sides he has previously managed why should he not be able to do the same with City

The reason he has overachieved in terms of expectations is because of how low the expectations of the Welsh and the supporters of Blackburn Rovers were. There is a different mind set at City with greater expectations, especially on the back of what Sven achieved on top of people not wanting the previous manager to leave. He was under pressure from the start because of his rag ties but because of the style of football, because of consistent poor results (which the record supports brilliantly!) he has done himself no favours. Yes, it's entertaining because we're scoring a lot of goals, but we're also conceeding them too. Joe Hart has kept us in games, yet conceeded shitty goals and the protection of the keeper has been diabolical at times but then you get into the debate about Dunnes captaincy which is a different kettle of fish. I digress.

Never before has the resources currently available both in terms of current playing staff and potential to add more been available before and unfortunately in my opinion we've not got a manager capable of building on last seasons overall success (in terms of league position and european qualification through back door) and hasn't got the pulling power to continue to build the bricks so we can become consistently successful. I just think if we give him time we'll be relegated or if not, very close to it and that scares me shitless!

This is the first opportunity that he has been able to do anything give him a chance. If we get a successor and he gets us relegated is he sacked too. When will it sop and why not give the management team abit of time to develop a good squad. I have been happy with his buys.

I've been happy with his buys aswell and we've sorted the left back situation. We don't just need one centre half, we need two or three and to ship Dunne and Tal off. Nedum should stay because he is a cool head and has been unlucky with injuries, Richards can play well and we've seen it before, it's getting it out of him that's the problem. But like I said beforehand, the personell can change but the tactics won't and the same problems will appear. The new signings will simply paper over the cracks to be fair.

He had a full pre-season. If that isn't enough time to work out the ability of your current playing staff, I don't know what is. What did he think it was? A kick-about before the real thing started?

C_T_I_D said:
Why do you think there is no potential to improve I believe he knows the players better than he did he is looking to strengthen the side he obviously does not suffer fools. He has exceeded expectations with sides he has previously managed why should he not be able to do the same with City

There is a different mind set at City with greater expectations, especially on the back of what Sven achieved on top of people not wanting the previous manager to leave. He was under pressure from the start because of his rag ties but because of the style of football, because of consistent poor results (which the record supports brilliantly!) he has done himself no favours. Yes, it's entertaining because we're scoring a lot of goals, but we're also conceeding them too. Joe Hart has kept us in games, yet conceeded shitty goals and the protection of the keeper has been diabolical at times but then you get into the debate about Dunnes captaincy which is a different kettle of fish. I digress.

Never before has the resources currently available both in terms of current playing staff and potential to add more been available before and unfortunately in my opinion we've not got a manager capable of building on last seasons overall success (in terms of league position and european qualification through back door) and hasn't got the pulling power to continue to build the bricks so we can become consistently successful. I just think if we give him time we'll be relegated or if not, very close to it and that scares me shitless!

This is the first opportunity that he has been able to do anything give him a chance. If we get a successor and he gets us relegated is he sacked too. When will it sop and why not give the management team abit of time to develop a good squad. I have been happy with his buys.

I've been happy with his buys aswell and we've sorted the left back situation. We don't just need one centre half, we need two or three and to ship Dunne and Tal off. Nedum should stay because he is a cool head and has been unlucky with injuries, Richards can play well and we've seen it before, it's getting it out of him that's the problem. But like I said beforehand, the personell can change but the tactics won't and the same problems will appear. The new signings will simply paper over the cracks to be fair.

He had a full pre-season. If that isn't enough time to work out the ability of your current playing staff, I don't know what is. What did he think it was? A kick-about before the real thing started?

I agree about the expectations but is that the managers fault or us being so DESPERATE after all that we have had to put up with. He cant help his history and he must have something as he has nade teams play above themselves why shouldnt he do that with City. He has been a top player at top European sides he knows what a successful side looks like and what makes a great player tick hes been there.

A preseason doesnt prepare you for the attitude of players if they are dropped or cant be arsed. You only find out the courage and fight in an individual when they are under pressure some can handle it Stevie Ireland some cant Elano. I am sure I could hit a target with a gun if know one was firing back but once someone started firing at me........watch me run and some of our players have run from the fight he now knows who he needs where we are weak.

There is no-one and I mean no-one in this side with mean and nasty streak such as a Viera, Keane, Terry where winning is everything and I think we need people like Bellamy to rattle a few cages and take the fight to the opposition

I disagree. I think Kompany could have a mean streak ingrained on him and could be a Vieira type player somewhat.

Yes, he knows what it is like as a player, but from a management perspective we've all seen players go into management and fall on their arse (examples available on request)

I can see our points tally, with him in charge for a full season, worse than the one accumulated by Stuart Pearce and we all know what happened to him. I don't know, some managers are better working with crap resources and getting the best out of the team that way (Hughes, Curbs, Fat Sam) and some need to spend shit loads in order to get results (Mourinho at Chelsea, Sven at Lazio)

I just don't think he fits into this job somewhat. He'll do better somewhere else in my books but he's not the man for this job. It's too big for him to handle.

bizzbo said:
svennis pennis said:
All I see at the moment is regression with a stronger squad which is alarming.

The one thing he has done is expose the weaknesses in the squad, but has also exposed his at the same time. We are in the position to change the squad but all the money in the world will not change Hughes technical and tactical ability, as well as his personality.

this is much closer, i know we have weaknesses, but either he doesnt know how to minimise them, or he doesnt want to. if you look at his past record, the slow starts followed by longer term success might support the theory that he feels it's better in the long term for the players and team to realise exactly what their abilities are and what they can't do. like i say, it's either a calculated risk, or it speaks of a lack of ability. that's why I still need more time to make my mind up on him.

Spot on Bizzbo, excellent summary of my own thinking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.