Name the year Swales said this......

I don't doubt he had the vision, but lacked the capability to carry it off. I think a lot of self-made men kid themselves into thinking they are amazing businessmen, because they've made a few quid in a particular field. Their success is frequently based on being in the right place at the right time. That said, good luck to them. They've worked hard for their money and deserve for it to make them happy.
Agree with that - Lee had seen how much Irving Scholar had made at Spurs and Martin Edwards at the rags and other major shareholders of clubs that had floated. Even before Lee, there was Michael Knighton who had all the right ideas to make Millions from the rags but didn't have enough capital necessary in place to buy them - fortunately for Edwards! Lee knew what was around the corner - probably not to the extent the absolute mega millions that the game has become but certainly enough to be interested in taking over the club. He hadn't stepped foot into a football ground in years. His only reason for doing so wasn't to save City, but to make a mint out of City. Had he not employed Alan Ball, he may have even pulled it off!

The new kippax was still shit and I blame swale more as he probably had that design made up but as it was built when he was chairman he gets joint blame.
Lee did his best to get out of building the new Kippax but as posted above the FA wouldn't give any dispensation, Swales had already run the club into the shit financially - when Lee took over we were over £10m in debt and faced finding a similar amount to finance the Kippax stand. We couldn't afford to get it redesigned other than building some ramshackle temporary structure. Lee made mistakes but he inherited a shit-storm from 20 years of Swales's mismanagement.

No idea why the new kippax was supposed to be shit, and never heard a bad word against it at the time.

The original idea was to bolt seats to the old Kippax, which would have been shit.

its all part of the club i love and i would not change a single thing even swales and the yoyo years. football is not just about winning silverware and glory the love and hate is all part of what we used to call typical city. we still have our moments of madness only this time its at the other end of the scales and losing a couple of games is now the end of the world by some fans

swales was to much hands on as a chairman on and only wanted yes men as managers and after the big big spend of the early 1980s and backing malcolm allison vision and ripping up tony books great team from 1976 to 1979 and book had some great young players from the youth setup and allison just sold them for peanuts because they was not his boys and i truly believe malcolm was doing his best to rip the club apart and knew what he was doing and city and swales just let it happen

and when it was to late john bond had to gel what malcolm left and sign a couple of players and it nearly paid off and i always look back and think what if we won the fa cup in 1981 we would have not gone down that road we did after 1983. we just had to sell everything just to cover over the big mess swales and malcolm left us in and when you sell trevor francis and buy david crosss the game is over

I'd change a lot of it! Peter Swales was a massive disaster for our great club. It was all about him and nothing about the club. Clown of a man who turned a proud club into a joke.

The book Manchester United Ruined My Life by Colin Shindler should now be edited to Peter Swales Ruined my Life. I might read it then because I won't read anything with that club's name in the title and Peter Swales really did mess my formative years growing up as a blue.

Agree with all of that, mate.
I went to renew my season ticket the year the new Kippax was being demolished etc. Went with my mate and walked around the ground to see what was being done. We spotted Franny sitting in the manager's dugout. We went and had a chat with him. He said we could go on the pitch, so, we did. Fucked about pretending to take penalties etc. Franny shared some sandwiches and, bizarrely, some cherries. How do I remember that? I kept the cherry stone as a reminder! I still have it in my treasure trove of shite. I thought he was the harbinger of good times. My mate knew then what I know now, "Mate, the bloke's a fucking Charlatan. Not got a pot to piss in" Nice sandwiches though. Although I'd never swap the glory we've got now for those days, I do miss the fact I could waltz across the pitch and share a butty with the chairman.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.