Narrowboats,Widebeams and Canal life.

buzzer1

I posted something along these lines about 6 month ago, we are seriously thinking about this life and have been moochin' around different Marinas over the last few week, we are going over to Scarisbrick and Fettlers wharfe in an hour or so. The Mrs. will only move onto the water if we get a widebeam, now they are obviously wider than a Narrowboat,hence you have restrictions on where you can travel or the route that you take anyway, what with the Locks being a certain width and all that.
We don't plan on going any great distances on the Canal plus you have 20 mile of Lock free canal in some parts,(bridgewater/L AND L), it is just the life that we want and not for the cruising, although 20 miles is quite ample or even to go for a spot of lunch at a Canalside pub,within reach.
From what i can gather, it is cheaper to live, not by a great deal and especially if you take finance out/mortgage for your Boat, it is the way of life, the freedom of the outdoors, the Old School and the community thing that will do it for us, i mean you can get your Coal delivered by a working Narrowboat and also your logs for the fire, or even better, go and get your own logs from the woods, it really appeals to me and i think it would be a fantastic way to bring up a little'n', get her away from the Roboticised life with the computers and endless brain washing television,don't get me wrong, the way the world is at the moment then she will need some sort of technology savvy, but not 24/7 head in the bloody thing.
I realise the dangers with the water etc and kids but shes a good kid and a decent swimmer and she is 6 so hardly a rugrat,(most of the canals are 4ft deep,obviously that varies but this is the basic overall depth).
If its gonna happen it will happen either within 6 months or we will get a cruiser(smaller boat) for 2 years or so and then flip our gaff and put whatever we get off it, into a Widebeam. Some of them are like Palaces, i can't do the picture thing so i will put 3 links on to show you the difference in Boat, for those that can be arsed anyway. :)
I'll have to put them on a seperate post, i've ran out of room. DOH! Has anyone lived this life or know someone that does? Cheers.

-- Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:41 am --

<a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viking-26-6-Berth-Narrow-Beam-Aft-Cabin-Cruiser-Boat-NB_W0QQitemZ190382689457QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item2c53b14cb1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viking-26-6-Berth ... 2c53b14cb1</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/70ft-Wide-Beam-Barge-2007_W0QQitemZ270556388473QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3efe6adc79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/70ft-Wide-Beam-Ba ... 3efe6adc79</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-AQUALINE-NARROWBOAT-CRUISER-STERN-57FT-17-5-MTS_W0QQitemZ150428457419QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item23063c19cb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-AQUALINE-NAR ... 23063c19cb</a>

Sounds like an idealic lifestyle, wish i had the balls to go for such a lifestyle change.

The last link, thats a quality looking barge!!

Wish i could afford to do it.

My father in law has a narrowboat, now springs arrive we will take it out for a spin. It's so relaxing.

I think if you are talking long term then the wide-beam is the way forward or you will feel like a hobbit. Did consider becoming a water-gypo myself a while back, but work took me away so I might think of it for retirement.

Godfather said:
Sounds like an idealic lifestyle, wish i had the balls to go for such a lifestyle change.

The last link, thats a quality looking barge!!

I reckon it'd be ok for a couple/single person mate, now i'm game for getting a Narrowboat with the Little'n' as well, but the mrs. reckons it'll be to cramped and we'll end up killing eachother. So widebeam/cruiser it is.

-- Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 am --

mat said:

My father in law has a narrowboat, now springs arrive we will take it out for a spin. It's so relaxing.

Where is he moored Mat?<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:58 am --<br /><br />
Helmet Cole said:
I think if you are talking long term then the wide-beam is the way forward or you will feel like a hobbit. Did consider becoming a water-gypo myself a while back, but work took me away so I might think of it for retirement.

Have it mate, i reckon it'll put a few years on your life, fresh air and a bit less stress etc, ave it.

If you could cross the Channel easily (can you hire or pay a tug or something?) into the canal systems in France, Netherlands etc that would be class way to live, spend the Summers cruising round Europe, then come back to the UK for the football season...

I'd love to take off and live on a boat but it would have to be a narrow boat......can't see the point of buying a boat that restricts your movement better to be able to go everywhere.

buzzer1 said:
-- Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 am --

mat said:

Where is he moored Mat?

A long way from Manc.

Colwick Marina - Nottingham. I can see it from my house.

pee dubya said:
If you could cross the Channel easily (can you hire or pay a tug or something?) into the canal systems in France, Netherlands etc that would be class way to live, spend the Summers cruising round Europe, then come back to the UK for the football season...

It's been done before. just go for it!!!

Crossing Channel in narrowboat

I particularly like this bit...

Their most daunting moment came when they reached Calais, only to find themselves in the path of a 40ft-tall Sea Cat ferry leaving for Dover.

Mr Darlington said: "It came within a few feet of us, but the most dangerous thing was that it threw up a six-foot wall of solid water in its wake. I had to turn into it, accelerate and go straight through it or we would definitely have capsized. The boat reared right up and plunged down to the other side. The dog, who was on tranquillisers, howled like a drunk.

my ex sold her 60ft narrow last year, I suspect after a couple of icy winters fetching water, fuel and dealing with waste you may change your mind, but yeah for a few years go for it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.