Nasri's surprising stats vs Silva

LHarper said:
Dribble said:
bluethunder said:
we cannot have nasri as a deep lying playmaker...the deep lying play makers must be capable of defending. we bought him to play in an attacking midfield role.

Nasri definitely doesn't fit into our system he's made that clear himself:

"At Arsenal I was playing a little bit higher with three strikers and three midfielders. Here we play 4-4-2 so you have to work more defensively." - Nasri

we're not going to change our system to suit Nasri so if the lad doesn't improve soon id sell him.

David Silva has had no problems since his arrival. He's had the most assists in 2011 season. Last season he 's had the best chance per minute rate in the league.

How good at defending are Pirlo or Xavi?

Of course Nasri can defend, but with the current set up that we have, defending isn't his main priority. Are you seriously saying that you've NEVER seen Nasri tackle anyone?

Again when the names of Pirlo or Xavi are mentioned, how many people refer to their tackling prowess? Nasri is a special talent who we've incorrectly utilised and I'd have no problem putting him in where it hurts as even the player himself and 3 of his previous managers have said that's where they see him in the future and that future is now.

795557_Champions_League_Team.jpg

With this line up at home, I'd be confident that our defence would be rock solid and that we'd pass teams to death and have a rapier like point to our attack that would frighten the lives out of most teams.

If under pressure, Fernandinho drops back and we adopt a familiar 4-2-1-3, but whilst on the attack, it's been proved that we need extra bodies in the penalty area so what's the point of having two midflieders just sat there when the additional advanced body in and around the oppositions penalty area would cause them havoc?

If the attack breaks down, Fernadinho has the ability to get back and help out, but there'll already be 4 defenders and a play-making defensive midfielder waiting for the opposition attackers. With who we have in advanced positions, I couldn't see too many teams wanting to be that cavalier against us TBH.

Do you REALLY think Nasri would be an effective defensive midfielder? Especially with the clientèle in this formation.

Speaking as someone who has experience working as a performance analyst in professional football, this would not be advisable.
Are we talking defensive midfielder or deep-lying play-maker like Pirlo or Xavi? I've already included our action man in Fernandinho and as for the others I've included, the opposition would have to get the ball off us first which negates the need for a steely midfield.

It's also horses for courses. If we play a team that we know will pack the midfield with cauliflowered eared brutes, all we do is add a little bit more steel of our own in the form of Yaya or Barry until the other team get the message and then we just out-skill the brutes ala Barca. We shouldn't be scared to use the skill we've been blessed with.

Also as a performance analyst, how would you advise let's say a team like Sunderland or Newcastle to set up against us if we were to field the team I've outlined?

I've got a few more questions for you if you don't mind because I've always been genuinely intrigued as to how performance analysis is done in the heat of a football match and how it all works and stuff.

Xavi has Busquets just behind him, someone who is, in my opinion, one of the best holding midfielders of the last decade.

With Italy, there are usually 3 central midfielders just ahead of Pirlo protecting him. At Juve, he has Marchisio and Vidal running from box-to-box as well as wing-backs either side of him. Both have quite a bit of protection of security.

I don't deny that Nasri's best position is in the middle, but I think it's further up the pitch than deep midfield. Unfortunately, that's also Silva's best position, and he hasn't proved himself better than David in any position.

Dribble said:
LHarper said:
Dribble said:
How good at defending are Pirlo or Xavi?

Of course Nasri can defend, but with the current set up that we have, defending isn't his main priority. Are you seriously saying that you've NEVER seen Nasri tackle anyone?

Again when the names of Pirlo or Xavi are mentioned, how many people refer to their tackling prowess? Nasri is a special talent who we've incorrectly utilised and I'd have no problem putting him in where it hurts as even the player himself and 3 of his previous managers have said that's where they see him in the future and that future is now.

795557_Champions_League_Team.jpg

With this line up at home, I'd be confident that our defence would be rock solid and that we'd pass teams to death and have a rapier like point to our attack that would frighten the lives out of most teams.

If under pressure, Fernandinho drops back and we adopt a familiar 4-2-1-3, but whilst on the attack, it's been proved that we need extra bodies in the penalty area so what's the point of having two midflieders just sat there when the additional advanced body in and around the oppositions penalty area would cause them havoc?

If the attack breaks down, Fernadinho has the ability to get back and help out, but there'll already be 4 defenders and a play-making defensive midfielder waiting for the opposition attackers. With who we have in advanced positions, I couldn't see too many teams wanting to be that cavalier against us TBH.

Do you REALLY think Nasri would be an effective defensive midfielder? Especially with the clientèle in this formation.

Speaking as someone who has experience working as a performance analyst in professional football, this would not be advisable.
Are we talking defensive midfielder or deep-lying play-maker like Pirlo or Xavi? I've already included our action man in Fernandinho and as for the others I've included, the opposition would have to get the ball off us first which negates the need for a steely midfield.

It's also horses for courses. If we play a team that we know will pack the midfield with cauliflowered eared brutes, all we do is add a little bit more steel of our own in the form of Yaya or Barry until the other team get the message and then we just out-skill the brutes ala Barca. We shouldn't be scared to use the skill we've been blessed with.

Also as a performance analyst, how would you advise let's say a team like Sunderland or Newcastle to set up against us if we were to field the team I've outlined?

I've got a few more questions for you if you don't mind because I've always been genuinely intrigued as to how performance analysis is done in the heat of a football match and how it all works and stuff.

Sorry for being slow to reply to this.

We would expect our full backs to push on into the attacking third at home against most opposition, so expect that to happen often, even when Navas stays out wide. Obviously you're correct in the sense that this would push the opposition deep into their half with the midfield sitting on top of the defence.

However, if we were to take the game against Newcastle on Monday and we played this formation, then Newcastle would be looking to initiate quick counter attacks in the wide areas with Ben Arfa and Marveaux (if he plays). This would leave us exposed as I don't believe Nasri has the capability to cover and provide protection to advanced full backs. It would take more than just Fernandinho to provide adequate cover.

At Juventus they play at 3-4-3 with wing backs and 2 box-to-box midfielders like the above poster has mentioned. Pirlo really only needs to act as a registá and not worry about defending or covering as can be seen from the heatmap on this article: http://squawka.com/news/2013/07/30/15372/2013073015372

In my opinion, if we didn't have one of Barry and Garcia already at the club we'd be seriously looking at signing Luiz Gustavo. Then we would have Yaya/Rodwell and Fernandinho play in front of him in a 4-3-3.

An example formation for a game with Nasri as registá is below. Not likely to happen but I feel it could work. Obviously Silva is missing in that formation - they don't usually play well together anyway (all be it in previous systems employed by Mancini).

If you want to know about performance analysis on a match day just let me know!

796870_Manchester_City.jpg

LHarper said:
Dribble said:
LHarper said:

Sorry for being slow to reply to this.

We would expect our full backs to push on into the attacking third at home against most opposition, so expect that to happen often, even when Navas stays out wide. Obviously you're correct in the sense that this would push the opposition deep into their half with the midfield sitting on top of the defence.

However, if we were to take the game against Newcastle on Monday and we played this formation, then Newcastle would be looking to initiate quick counter attacks in the wide areas with Ben Arfa and Marveaux (if he plays). This would leave us exposed as I don't believe Nasri has the capability to cover and provide protection to advanced full backs. It would take more than just Fernandinho to provide adequate cover.

At Juventus they play at 3-4-3 with wing backs and 2 box-to-box midfielders like the above poster has mentioned. Pirlo really only needs to act as a registá and not worry about defending or covering as can be seen from the heatmap on this article: http://squawka.com/news/2013/07/30/15372/2013073015372

In my opinion, if we didn't have one of Barry and Garcia already at the club we'd be seriously looking at signing Luiz Gustavo. Then we would have Yaya/Rodwell and Fernandinho play in front of him in a 4-3-3.

An example formation for a game with Nasri as registá is below. Not likely to happen but I feel it could work. Obviously Silva is missing in that formation - they don't usually play well together anyway (all be it in previous systems employed by Mancini).

If you want to know about performance analysis on a match day just let me know!

796870_Manchester_City.jpg
So in this 4-3-3 system I take it if Silva was playing that he'd be on the wing or is he out altogether?

I appreciate your analysis, but what I was trying to suggest was that with the formation that I put together; It was constructed with the intention that the full backs defend first and only move forward if we're crushing the opposition and need to squash them further.

You're quite correct that if the full backs joined the attack that it would leave us exposed to the ball over the top and the swift counter-attack, but this is what is increasingly happening to us now anyway and why I suggested more creativity in forward positions and that the defenders stay put in the main.

Also, if you were providing the analysis to Newcastle on Monday night and City were set up as I suggested but the defenders were to stay put and only support when absolutely necessary, in your professional capacity how would you advise Newcastle as to the best way to negate and counteract us?

And yes please I'd love to know how performance analysis is recorded in a match situation. I mean do you just concentrate one player for that match or one team or both? The only way I could see it was to have an army of scientists sat there monitoring every player individually. Also if every Premiership game was on the same day, you'd need 220+ scientists to analyse every players progress and that doesn't count someone weighing up all the possession stats either.

Also, what about the discrepancies in performance data? I've seen different oragnisations analyse the same match and come up with sometimes wildly differing stats. How and why does that happen?

Are the stats 100% accurate and does anyone analyse the analysis?

Thanks in advance.....

rastus said:
Mr. Aguia said:
SWP's back said:
Trying to catch up with this thread but struggling.

Which band is Nasri in and are they better than Joy Division?

Evryone is better than joy Division because they are rag lovers.

My issue with this concept is this thread starts with "Some of the statistics from last season were quite surprising to me. In particular, these pass completion stats from the premier league:" but then only points out 1 stat, pass completion. A fine stat but not the only stat. Even looking at every stat doesn't tell the whole story and only looking at 1 stat that can be very misleading doesn't tell us much of anything. The fact that Silva had a very mediocre season by his standards yet Mancini chose him over Nasri 9 x's out of 10 tells us something. That he scored 2x's as many goals tells us something. What would tell us something more would be how many chances each created and how many fast break chances did Nasri kill with his 360 pirouettes? How many goals did we score with Silva on the pitch vs without and likewise with Nasri? That would be more interesting.

Play a player out of his best position is not great 80% of the time, theres a stat

Then he shouldn't have been stupid enough to sign for us if he can't play out wide. That's the position he was bought for.

Just face it Nasri will not start he doesn't have the class to start over the new players and existing players..he had his shot now fuck off ..maybe he's better off being big fish in a small pond like Arsenal I'm sure they can use him..I'm done with Nasri time to move on

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.