#6 | Nathan Aké - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely think Ake could do the DM role no problem.
See I get where you're coming from, but I think the role of DM in Pep's team is a rather sacred one.

The only players to get any meaningful time there in his tenure are Touré, Fernandinho, Gundogan, and Rodri. They're all amazing at passing. Like I'd rate Fernandinho as the weakest of those 4 as far as being a passing metronome and controller, but he's still one of the best going for that role. It's an extremely high bar.

The bar was high enough so that we've almost never seen either Delph or Zinchenko there. He tried Stones once (who's smarter with the ball than Aké) and we've never seen it again.

I don't think Aké wouldn't work at DM. He's got a really versatile skillset and he could bring things to the role that none of the others have. In a post-Pep world if Aké's still here then if the new manager wants a Casameiro type then Aké could actually be superb.

Maybe I'm wrong on this one of course, but I just don't see it happening. Unless Aké is such a fantastic option as a defensive option in that role (which he may be), then it could happen. Hopefully we find out one way or another next season.

See I get where you're coming from, but I think the role of DM in Pep's team is a rather sacred one.

The only players to get any meaningful time there in his tenure are Touré, Fernandinho, Gundogan, and Rodri. They're all amazing at passing. Like I'd rate Fernandinho as the weakest of those 4 as far as being a passing metronome and controller, but he's still one of the best going for that role. It's an extremely high bar.

The bar was high enough so that we've almost never seen either Delph or Zinchenko there. He tried Stones once (who's smarter with the ball than Aké) and we've never seen it again.

I don't think Aké wouldn't work at DM. He's got a really versatile skillset and he could bring things to the role that none of the others have. In a post-Pep world if Aké's still here then if the new manager wants a Casameiro type then Aké could actually be superb.

Maybe I'm wrong on this one of course, but I just don't see it happening. Unless Aké is such a fantastic option as a defensive option in that role (which he may be), then it could happen. Hopefully we find out one way or another next season.
As a Bournemouth fan, I can say that we did try him at CDM on a couple of occasions (obviously as our most talented defender by far it wasn’t often!). He’s definitely got some of the core attributes of a good DM; agile, reads the game very well, excellent at interceptions etc. His passing I’d say is very good for a defender but probably not good enough for a Top 4 midfielder.

In the games he played there he was quite good, but that was for a team looking to harry higher quality teams, win the ball back and break away. In a team that will be dominating play and looking to breakdown stubborn opponents, I’m not sure he’s got the ability to do anything more than keep possession play ticking over. What I will say is he’s an incredibly hardworking and intelligent player with age of ability, and could certainly be coached to be a good CDM IMHO.

In short I’d say that squad LB/CB is probably perfect for him. How have you lot found him so far? It’s been quite annoying to see him injured for you as I was backing him to break into your starting XI at some point!

Congrats on the champions league final too btw.

As a Bournemouth fan, I can say that we did try him at CDM on a couple of occasions (obviously as our most talented defender by far it wasn’t often!). He’s definitely got some of the core attributes of a good DM; agile, reads the game very well, excellent at interceptions etc. His passing I’d say is very good for a defender but probably not good enough for a Top 4 midfielder.

In the games he played there he was quite good, but that was for a team looking to harry higher quality teams, win the ball back and break away. In a team that will be dominating play and looking to breakdown stubborn opponents, I’m not sure he’s got the ability to do anything more than keep possession play ticking over. What I will say is he’s an incredibly hardworking and intelligent player with age of ability, and could certainly be coached to be a good CDM IMHO.

In short I’d say that squad LB/CB is probably perfect for him. How have you lot found him so far? It’s been quite annoying to see him injured for you as I was backing him to break into your starting XI at some point!

Congrats on the champions league final too btw.
Thanks for the post!

He's had a real stop start season due to injuries, and the form of the other CBs and LBs hasn't helped him.

But he looked liked he belonged against Palace recently. So that's encouraging.

Play a good ball playing CB as a DM, and you waste what made him a good player. He becomes average as a DM.

Last edited:
Swap deal for Digne.
I'd be afraid to leave him go. We were very lucky this year wit the fitness of Dias, Stones and Laporte. IMO we always need 4 top CBs who can defend and pass so that it doesn't rock us if we lose a couple mid season.

I'd be afraid to leave him go. We were very lucky this year wit the fitness of Dias, Stones and Laporte. IMO we always need 4 top CBs who can defend and pass so that it doesn't rock us if we lose a couple mid season.
I think we are more than happy to keep him,its the players ambition/desire that is the possible issue.
We do have options,very good ones,in the EDS too.

I think we are more than happy to keep him,its the players ambition/desire that is the possible issue.
We do have options,very good ones,in the EDS too.
Sure. I hope he decides to stays, is fit and starts 20ish games next season.

I think he is a very good defender who hardly ever makes mistakes. Good in the air despite being relatively short. He will surely get more game time next season if he stays fit, and versatile on the left of the defence. Keep him! Apparently a popular and nice person in the dressing room too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.