#6 | Nathan Aké - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know that? He’s a quality player and he had every chance of starting the season as our first choice centre back. He hasn’t had a chance to prove himself, so claiming he was always going to be third or fourth choice is wrong IMO.
Yeah and put Laporte, Stones or Dias on the bench?

If he is as good as you think he is, then its not sustainable top have 4 top class CBs. One of them will leave, especially as CBs the manager should not really rotate as any defence needs stability so that means cup games + dead rubber CL games for couple of quality CBs.

I'm really surprised how many are seemingly so willing to go back to 3 centre backs after making the same catastrophic error 2 seasons ago. All sides have at least 4 CB's.

If we go into the season with 3 CB's, let's say Dias picks up an injury, and one of laporte or stones' form drops off at the same time, all of a sudden were screwed.

We've been really fortunate this season in that area with minimal injuries, it would be completely idiotic to gamble on being lucky again.
The issue wasn't 3 CBs, the problem was the quality of them. Otamendi was dire and so was Stones. If both of them were good last season 3 CBs would not have been issue.

Yeah and put Laporte, Stones or Dias on the bench?

If he is as good as you think he is, then its not sustainable top have 4 top class CBs. One of them will leave, especially as CBs the manager should not really rotate as any defence needs stability so that means cup games + dead rubber CL games for couple of quality CBs.

You never know what will happen in the future. Stones form could drop off, Laporte may get injured, Dias may go through a rough patch. Anyway, I don’t agree with your opinion that he was a bad buy, as he hasn’t had the chance to prove himself. I also don’t think City buy players to be 3rd/4th choice, it’s just not what we do. We bought him to rotate with Laporte and who ever followed him later on in the summer which was Dias. I don’t think Pep planned for Stones to recapture his form and neither did most of us.

Yep - Doyle looks very good too.

We’ll lose these lads if they see no path to the first team - and with Dias at 24 next season, Ake at 26, and both Stones and Laporte at 27, you’d have to say their chances don’t look good.

As long as Laporte decides he’s up for the rotation game at City, I’d see Ake’s role in the squad as more or less redundant - and I’d hate to see us lose our talented kids for the sake of a 4th choice on high wages who never plays!

I’ve noticed that a few posters are worried we’ll be left with 3 CB’s only if he leaves but I believe at least 2 of the youth CBs can actually do a job.

Well, it’s the conundrum of being a top club. To win the lot, you need experienced and top players. Not everyone will be world class. This comes at the expense of a possible top youth prospect. Trophies need to be one and it’s a dog eat dog profession.

The only solace I have is when I sometimes dream about City, the current crop of talented lads that just was the PL2, alongside one or u18. I can only dream of it mate. Haha.

Nonetheless, if Ake stays to back himself, will support the lad while he’s here.

but he was never going to be more than 3rd choice at best. Madness to spend £40m on 3rd or 4th choice.

Its just poor usage of money. Sign cheap back up in the 10-20m mark, not every player has to cost 40-60m. City need to wise up at times.
£40M is a lot less than £60M. Laporte was injured for much of last season and was for a bit earlier in this season. A third choice centre back is potentially going to play a lot of football for this team and you need high quality. Liverpool may well miss out on the Champions league because of the lack of a good third choice centre back.Had the resurgence of a fit John Stones been known £40M is maybe money that could better be used elsewhere but it was not, we were hanging onto Garcia for back up and look what happened in the first game against Leicester.

Just watching the highlights and does Ake injure himself right at full time? Would be just his luck.

Don't think there is any truth to the rumours. Like most football transfer rumours, it's likely just a case of some journalist writing something that makes sense on a base level and hoping they get lucky. After all, we've not signed Isco yet have we?

Aké wouldn't be here if one season of limited game time was enough to send him packing. He knew he would be third choice at best. If he was behind Garcia I'd totally understand him wanting to leave but he's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.