Nature versus nurture.

nijinsky's fetlocks

The devil came and took me from bar to street to b
Ok folks - in a probably doomed attempt to raise the intellectual bar of the Cellar, here's something that may have those capable of thought thinking.
Are we the product of genetics, or the sum total of our experiences?
Are we born blank, (yes, I know some folk stay that way), or do you believe that folk can be born evil?
Were murderers predisposed to murder from the very start, or made that way by their experiences?
All theories welcome, no matter how wacky.
Bring it on...

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Ok folks - in a probably doomed attempt to raise the intellectual bar of the Cellar, here's something that may have those capable of thought thinking.
Are we born blank, (yes, I know some folk stay that way), or do you believe that folk can be born evil?
Were murderers predisposed to murder from the very start, or made that way by their experiences?
Bring it on...

I think swedes are probably my second favourite root vegetable.

top is the magnificent potato, but then I'm quarter Irish.

see what I did there :)

I am willing to explain even if it destroys the humour.

good one fetters and quite complex

I have 2 daughters who are like chalk and cheese and I like to think they were brought up in the same way and their different personalities are down to genetics, one is more like me and the other more like their Dad personality wise. However does an older child grow up with a feeling of responsibility towards their younger sibling therefore giving them a greater sense of responsibility in general and more independent? Does a younger child grow up relying on others more as they did when they were children?

I actually think its a bit of both but yes I do think children can be born just bad through and through no matter what their upbringing.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Bring it on...

We are born by, and into, God's light. It is by His will alone that our lives are determined. I know this, because it says so in a dead old book written by some blokes who wore sandals and togas. Seems legit.

BlueBearBoots said:
good one fetters and quite complex

I have 2 daughters who are like chalk and cheese and I like to think they were brought up in the same way and their different personalities are down to genetics, one is more like me and the other more like their Dad personality wise. However does an older child grow up with a feeling of responsibility towards their younger sibling therefore giving them a greater sense of responsibility in general and more independent? Does a younger child grow up relying on others more as they did when they were children?

I actually think its a bit of both but yes I do think children can be born just bad through and through no matter what their upbringing.

So what do you think it is that makes a person born bad from the get go?
Is it some chemical imbalance in the brain, or hereditary factors, such as the behaviour and/or state of mine of the parents?
Because logically a new born baby has no concept of right or wrong until such time as they learn it.
This is one of many things I take issue with the Catholic church on, as they believe we are all born with sin, which we then have to atone for, but how can a baby have done something sinful?

I'd say mainly nurture. I know a girl who was adopted but her siblings were not. She is lovely, well mannered and successful whilst her brother and sister are complete fucking idiots. She was lucky I guess to be brought up by a couple who took care of her, made her study and taught her good morals.

On the other hand a lad two years above me at school was an extremely clever chap and now is a professer at Cambridge University but his mum is as daft as a brush. Where his intelligence came from no ones knows, the lad is a genius. Only person I have played at chess and could never beat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.