Ndombele (signed for Spurs)

Great counterpoints and I can’t really disagree. I might be leaning a little too heavily on the business side of things but the allure of Pep hasn’t been as effective in recruitment as I expected it to be.

All the times we were ‘snubbed’ has been fairly surprising to be honest. It’s obviously worked out brilliantly for us and I’m not complaining at all but I fully expected the likes of Mbappe, De ligt, de jong, type players to be playing for us. Even the smaller ones like Alves, Laporte the first time, Sanchez, Sancho, Brahmin, or Jorginho aren’t even locks.

There’s obviously something up with that and it tells me that weekly wages and focusing on building your branding have killed off playing for ‘footballing reasons’ (if that makes sense). For that reason I struggle to see Ndombele accepting a smaller ‘role’ here where he doesn’t have as big of a personal spotlight on him as Tottenham and it’s the same reason why Sane will leave (IMO) and it’s also probably why Rodri is wavering and Gundogan is hesitant to sign.

It sucks but I completely understand it. It’s just a silly kids game and the money at risk now is absolutely absurd.

While we’re on the subject of branding. Look at what happens when our players do it...Raz was absolutely murdered in the media week in and out for years and Mendy is already completely vilified for it simply because of injuries.
I think some players choose other options for many, many different reasons.
1) Money. Most players have a very short career, and thus a small window in which to make a lifetime of security for oneself and one’s family.
2. Family. It’s not always an easy sell to get your wife and kids to choose Manchester over places like a London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan and Monaco, etc.
3. The English league is hard. We have no (real) winter break and every week is a hard game. We stuff two games into almost every week, and there are very few easy games, not to mention the physicality of it.
4. The same players we are after probably have the choice of playing for teams who will ALWAYS be #1 or #2 in their league, and the hard games are only against the other top side or two.
5. The weather. Every foreign player talks about the weather! And, don’t forget, it’s not just games, but training in the cold, snow, sleet, and persistent rain.
6. Pep. While we kneel at the altar of Pep, players often feel quite different. I’ve said before, he’s not “there” 100% and looks to me like he’s “on the spectrum.” He is full of tics and expressions that are “different,” and he is a total control freak. Some call it genius in polite conversation, but it is clear many players do not like him and his obsessive nature. He is a hard taskmaster and has no problem dressing down the best players, then kissing them two mins later. For us, he is close to perfection, but then we don’t work for him 24/7/365!
7. Executive hardball. City have stopped throwing money at players just to come here. However, some players want to be wanted and at almost any price. Waffling about a player over £5M on the fee, or £20K per week in a contract can be a turn off for players, especially if they’re contemplating changing their whole life to come here. Wives get in on that act too...”They can’t want you THAT bad, and imagine the life we could have in (name the European city). They seemed to really want you there!”

Uprooting one’s life, especially if there is a real language barrier (often, not just the player, but the wife and kids, too) is a big, big decision. It’s slmost never about “the house” or “the job” the way it is with us mere mortals, but the myriad things above. These things shape our experience, which is why clubs have teams of staff to smooth over any issues a player and his family might have to adjusting to life here.

Some can manage the change brilliantly (Zaba is a prime example, as is Vinnu), while others struggle with the language, loneliness, and have family elsewhere (Sergio springs to mind).

It is a complicated matter, not just about “They want you, we like the price, you’re going!”

1) Money. Most players have a very short career, and thus a small window in which to make a lifetime of security for oneself and one’s family.
2. Family. It’s not always an easy sell to get your wife and kids to choose Manchester over places like a London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan and Monaco, etc.
3. The English league is hard. We have no (real) winter break and every week is a hard game. We stuff two games into almost every week, and there are very few easy games, not to mention the physicality of it.
4. The same players we are after probably have the choice of playing for teams who will ALWAYS be #1 or #2 in their league, and the hard games are only against the other top side or two.
5. The weather. Every foreign player talks about the weather! And, don’t forget, it’s not just games, but training in the cold, snow, sleet, and persistent rain.
6. Pep. While we kneel at the altar of Pep, players often feel quite different. I’ve said before, he’s not “there” 100% and looks to me like he’s “on the spectrum.” He is full of tics and expressions that are “different,” and he is a total control freak. Some call it genius in polite conversation, but it is clear many players do not like him and his obsessive nature. He is a hard taskmaster and has no problem dressing down the best players, then kissing them two mins later. For us, he is close to perfection, but then we don’t work for him 24/7/365!
7. Executive hardball. City have stopped throwing money at players just to come here. However, some players want to be wanted and at almost any price. Waffling about a player over £5M on the fee, or £20K per week in a contract can be a turn off for players, especially if they’re contemplating changing their whole life to come here. Wives get in on that act too...”They can’t want you THAT bad, and imagine the life we could have in (name the European city). They seemed to really want you there!”

Uprooting one’s life, especially if there is a real language barrier (often, not just the player, but the wife and kids, too) is a big, big decision. It’s slmost never about “the house” or “the job” the way it is with us mere mortals, but the myriad things above. These things shape our experience, which is why clubs have teams of staff to smooth over any issues a player and his family might have to adjusting to life here.

Some can manage the change brilliantly (Zaba is a prime example, as is Vinnu), while others struggle with the language, loneliness, and have family elsewhere (Sergio springs to mind).

It is a complicated matter, not just about “They want you, we like the price, you’re going!”

Not having point 1 mate.

A mere few months of a top level player’s salary is more than enough to see him and his family right for life.

I'm obviously not a manc but the things you mentioned make me extremely proud and happy to be a blue. I can't believe that I'm going into my 10th season already. You bring up a lot of great points and some of the ones I've pieced together on my own as well as you have. I mentioned the targets we missed on and that got me to thinking about the ones we landed.

The system and application of how we run our business definitely pumps out a profile of a player and personality type that's I'm struggling to find the right word for. A little goofy maybe? KDB, Silvas, Kun, Gabby, Stones, Sterling, Walker, Gundogan. It's clearly been designed that way brilliantly done and executed. Outside of Tevez (maybe mario too) Sane is the first signing that I can recall with the type of personality who's head could be turned at the opportunity of building his brand or stature. I suppose Nico might qualify as well.

I find that pretty fascinating and I could see the temptation behind it if he does want to move on.

I'm obviously not a manc but the things you mentioned make me extremely proud and happy to be a blue. I can't believe that I'm going into my 10th season already. You bring up a lot of great points and some of the ones I've pieced together on my own as well as you have. I mentioned the targets we missed on and that got me to thinking about the ones we landed.

The system and application of how we run our business definitely pumps out a profile of a player and personality type that's I'm struggling to find the right word for. A little goofy maybe? KDB, Silvas, Kun, Gabby, Stones, Sterling, Walker, Gundogan. It's clearly been designed that way brilliantly done and executed. Outside of Tevez (maybe mario too) Sane is the first signing that I can recall with the type of personality who's head could be turned at the opportunity of building his brand or stature. I suppose Nico might qualify as well.

I find that pretty fascinating and I could see the temptation behind it if he does want to move on.
Pep has always considered a player’s personality as very important.

He demands a player giving themselves over to him and his ideas 100%, or they’re moved on as a disruptive influence.

Can’t grasp the ideas or the need for 100% adherence? Bench or moved on!

The players City want have to fit a certain profile. You have seen it in who we have bought and who has broken through from the ranks.

Sterling, KDB, Bernardo, Foden, Ederson, Gundogan. No drama, down to earth, not splashy. The exception would be Mendy, but he is a big personality in a very positive way, not like a Mario or Tevez, for example.

Plus, I look at the likes of Sergio and how he has changed under Pep. He has become a much more complete player, even if it took him warming the bench and a clear the air discussion with his agent and Pep. I’m sure Messi had a word, too!

Sort of related to this is Sané. Who is he and who does he want to become? Pep can mold him into a world class (best?) player, not just potential, but does he want it? Does he fancy the graft? Would he rather always look down the line, rather than working up and down it?

We saw flashes of his learning, as he fought to win back balls and chased down counterattacks, But, Pep doesn’t want him giving it away in the first place, either!

Pep knows what he wants, and it is NOT just all about what you see on the field. Dressing room harmony is vital, which is why he personally, and carefully, picks his “Captains” to control it, put an arm around a shoulder, and even occasionally light a fire for him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.