Negative play.

Kinky Dribbler

When Sven arrived, the first thing he did was hammer into the players the importance of KEEPING THE BALL. We passed the ball around with fluidity and purpose during the first half of last season, and it was not only attractive to watch, but also productive.

Since Hughes arrived, everyone seems to be scared of the ball. We're hoofing it long much more, and don't seem to able to string more than a handful of passes together. Whenever we do get possession, we're constantly going backwards. We got a free kick in an attacking position against Fulham and the ball ended up at the feet of Joe Hart, ffs.
Today, I lost count of the amount of times we were gifted possession by a poor West Brom side and either passed it aimlessly or gave it straight back. It seems to me that Hughes has undone a lot of good work and instilled a very negative attitude on the way we play football. If we were grinding out results I wouldn't be so bothered, but it's quite frightening how Hughes can make us play in such a negative way, it's almost Pearce-esque, only worse because he has way better players at his disposal.

What has happened to the 'free-scoring' team of earlier this season? Is it just because we lack quality creative players, or is it because Hughes's attitude towards games (away in particular) is so negative? The lack of chances created today was seriously worrying. We won't come up against many weaker defences than the Baggies.

And the Baggies won't come up against many defences weaker than ours. Have a good look at their second goal again...you tell me why...well, just take a look.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.