Netflix documentary on Pelé

One of my stand-out memories of that 1966 WC was the Brazil v Portugal group match at Goodison. Pele was already carrying a knee injury and the systematic fouling had to be seen to believed. In short, he was hacked out of the game. For such a wonderful football team as Portugal it spoke volumes that they feared Pele so much that they chose to resort to such brutal tactics. He was a great player, the GOAT in my opinion. He had everything in his locker.
Whilst we're on the subject of that World Cup and also Portugal, Eusebio wasn't a bad 'un either - certainly in my top ten GOAT list.
Eusebio was known as "The Black Pearl" -
And he had a hell of a shot in him.

Could Pele play in defence, no, so is Bobby Moore a better player because he could? What about in goal?
Of course Pele was a better player than Bobby Moore, but when we think of the GOAT our choices always take us to forward players.
I find the whole GOAT thing very subjective (a point you make in your post) but I also find it very childish - something kids do in the playground.

Could Pele play in defence, no, so is Bobby Moore a better player because he could? What about in goal?
Of course Pele was a better player than Bobby Moore, but when we think of the GOAT our choices always take us to forward players.
I find the whole GOAT thing very subjective (a point you make in your post) but I also find it very childish - something kids do in the playground.

Fair enough. But setting that debate aside (since you think it has no business existing) get to see that documentary, if you can. Anybody who loves football will profit from it. It's also quite good on the Brazil of those years, and the society that he came out of.
Funnily enough, the other good sports documentary I've seen in recent years is also about Brazil and their other national sports hero: Senna.

Cruyff....from 17 to 36...grab the video of him in his 36th yr for feynoord...they had to put a gun to his children's heads to stop him playing in the '78 WC

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.