Never meet your heroes.....

It is only when you stand next to Hearns that you realise what a freak of nature he was.

I was shocked at how tall he was and winning titles at so many weights defies belief.

The first three rounds of that Hagler fight will never be be bettered.

Hearns has amazing length arms and one of the best jabs I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately his jaw let him down too often. What I would give to have met him and Manny, two absolute giants of boxing!

Met Sir Trevor Brooking at an event at Manchester FA about grassroots football. As a kid growing up in the 70s/80s he was a legend.
What an absolute gentleman and he was genuinely interested in what was going on in the area.
I asked if I could get a pic of him for the work I was doing. He then gave my camera to one of his 'team' and invited me to join them on the photo.
An amazing person.

Keith Curle was a grade A prick and could have got me sacked from my first real job. I had set up a big interview with him and arrived at Maine Road reception and he told me to wait while he got washed and changed.

It was a big thing for me but he slipped out the back door without an apology, leaving me to face the music back at the office.

I was gutted for him when he was caught by staff shagging a young girl in the gym a few weeks later.

Imagine my different treatment from a certain David Beckham when I went to a press call at adidas in Stockport in the early 2000s.

He was an absolute gent and gave me a lift back to town in his blue Porsche Boxster after someone let me down on a lift back into Manchester.

Same age as me and he was genuinely interested in how I had got into the business.
He always later let on to me when in the same bars - met with a mixture of disgust and complete admiration from my fellow blue mates - also always saw them pull!

I'm a big boxing fan - again, two very different experiences.

Frank Bruno? Just a horrible ****.

One of my great privileges was to spend an hour with Tommy 'The Hitman' Hearns at the Midland hotel towards the end of his career - with Manny Steward alongside.

Tiffany earring, sharp suit, classy as hell and the only person I have ever asked a personalised autograph from during my career.
Hearns was on the undercard when I saw Hatton at Nynex. I only stayed to watch him just so I could say I'd seen one of the greatest ever. "Four Kings" - Tolm, make sure you read it.
OIP.L4u5olzmH63VE4RvlnQQ9AHaLW

Ashes test 2006, Adelaide oval, I took my then 6-year old lad down to the players gate as Freddie Flintoff was walking out to bat, son had his city top on and I said good luck to him and something about city, he laughed, rubbed my lads head and said good lad. no pressure on him at the time as he was coming in for Collingwood who just knocked 200

What I would give to have experienced that. I worked for a personal security company back in the late eighties, early nineties and have met many famous people, from Jerry Lee Lewis to Cher and si in. He'll I even had to bail the GPC out off Gmex once after a rowdy Pat Barrett fight ( I know, but I'm professionalism personified ) and I'd swap it all, even my afternoon with Spanish Dave, my all time City Hero to meet that man. Lucky twat
Holy shoite, you've met a few. I'd swap ya for Spanish Dave alone...;) However if you come to the US, go to the Mount Washington Valley in New Hampshire around the towns of North Conway and Bartlett and there's a good chance that you will run into the Marvelous one; as far as I know, he's still up there, chatting away to locals and visitors alike. As down to earth as you could ever meet.

Douggie Flood likes this post.
Met my second wife in there.
Being a Kinky loyalist I was utterly devastated when he completely blanked me when I tried letting on at the Trafford Centre bitd (he was at the cinema for the East is East premiere iirc). Naturally his Mrs was 9/10 and about 3” taller! Still hurts to this day....not fit to lace Spanish Dave’s boots the twat.

Tricky Trevor Sinclair obliged with a friendly wave (same venue different day) when I shouted to him ‘how’s it going Trev?’ Truth was I couldn’t place him and knew his name only after his reply did the penny drop who it was....nice chap.

Pissed up in Cardiff (after Rags v Wigan LCF long story). Bumped into Jeff Whitley who was equally pissed (did he play for Cardiff?) who proceeded to slag off Keegan for a full 30 minutes, saying that Pearce was Keegan’s teachers pet/snitch.

Bert Trautmann....absolute gent as was Sir Tom Finney.
someone I work with got disciplined for putting on Facebook what a knob pab was a few years ago . Apparently he couldn’t get it into his head how his house was wired up and just kept coming out with rediculouse requests about how the job should be done .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.