New “UEFA Financial Sustainability” rules

One point to note on infrastructure spending.

It is still a Profit/Loss calculation. So if you spend £100m on a stadium and add a £100m asset to the books the loss is £0. So no impact.

The issue as i see it is the risk of these projects, typically these big projects go wrong and you have to write of chunks of the value eventually. So you spend £150m as the first estimate was wrong - you add a £150 asset to the books but down the line you have to come clean that the asset is only worth £100m. That £50m write off is what will get you. All big infrastructure projects go like this.
Hopefully United's proposed development of Old Trafford goes exactly like this. And then some! How funny would that be that they end up falling foul of these new rules?

I presume the infrastructure thing will fuck Chelsea, Spurs, United and Liverpool more than us, their planned redevelopments or the ones they are already paying for will now directly affect FFP calcs.

Our training ground and Stadium is developed and paid for already, North Stand excluded.

The Youth Development thing is a worry though, seem to have been coining it in recently.
Pretty certain we could use CFG for any future infrastructure projects thus circumnavigating any new rules on investment?

Its basic accounting - that is how it would work.
Yes, but UEFA may not work to accounting standards for their calculation. Remember, in our case they tried to interpret IAS 24 in their own way but gave in after the 2014 pinch agreement.

They should be honest and call it the fuck new new money rule.

It does seem like it would make it harder for rich owners to come in and improve a club's facilities etc, which is slightly odd. Generally they seem an improvement, but I think we'll only properly know when we see them in use and applied.

Ps. Just about every team will need work on its stadium at some point, whether its building a new one or renovating it to stop it falling apart. I'm not sure if a few stadiums may become a bit old and decrepit because owners/clubs may be less willing to risk paying for the work that's needed.

They should be honest and call it the fuck new new money rule.
In a way its spending any money that gets hit by this. Its basically a set of rules that compounds any misery and stops any speculation or investment.

Rule 1. You have some ambition - get back in your box.

Rule 2. Get your finances wrong and we will kick you when you are down.

I reckon that situations like we have with Sterling, or had with Milner, where players wind down their contracts looking to move on a free, will be less frequent under the new rules. Any player refusing to sign a new contract with 2 years left on their existing contract will be forced out in my opinion.
Yeah and I think the campus and EDS will continue to be very ample and very useful income generators which may upset some purists.

Pretty certain we could use CFG for any future infrastructure projects thus circumnavigating any new rules on investment?
The new PL rules attempt to catch group transactions as related City transactions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.