New Arsenal manager(Unai Emery)

Problem you immediately have is that your defence is worryingly weak. The only talent in that area, by your reckoning, is Bellerin, and Xhaka is only accommodated with reservation. The question is whether he can get those attacking players to press effectively for 90 minutes without leaving the weaknesses at the back exposed and without burning the attackers out. Lots of good individual players, on their day, but little evidence in the last two seasons to say that they are willing to work for each other as a unit.

Yep mate, it's fairly obvious defence is our weak point. Think we had the joint 3rd best attack in the league and that's wuth Aubameyang only being there a few months, but the defending was really poor at times.

To be honest, it's hard to judge individuals because of our lack of tactics. Bellerin was promising enough that you guys and Barca were linked but has stagnated, Mustafi was a German international but has went off the boil totally, Koscielny was a starting defender for France, Kolosniac was in the Bundesliga team of the year, Monreal is in the Spain squad. Then we have youngsters like Chambers, Holding & Mavropanos.

Xhaka himself excelled in Germany and for his country with a more defensive midfielder alongside him, but we expose him as the defensive midfielder and play him in a 2 with the most forward thinking centre in the country.

The lack of tactics, and the lack of balance meant that we were all too often exposed and looking amateur.

So I agree, his main challenge for him is to get the balance corrected in the team, and to get players who defended as individuals, and when they could be bothered it seemed, into defending as a team.

Yep mate, it's fairly obvious defence is our weak point. Think we had the joint 3rd best attack in the league and that's wuth Aubameyang only being there a few months, but the defending was really poor at times.

To be honest, it's hard to judge individuals because of our lack of tactics. Bellerin was promising enough that you guys and Barca were linked but has stagnated, Mustafi was a German international but has went off the boil totally, Koscielny was a starting defender for France, Kolosniac was in the Bundesliga team of the year, Monreal is in the Spain squad. Then we have youngsters like Chambers, Holding & Mavropanos.

Xhaka himself excelled in Germany and for his country with a more defensive midfielder alongside him, but we expose him as the defensive midfielder and play him in a 2 with the most forward thinking centre in the country.

The lack of tactics, and the lack of balance meant that we were all too often exposed and looking amateur.

So I agree, his main challenge for him is to get the balance corrected in the team, and to get players who defended as individuals, and when they could be bothered it seemed, into defending as a team.

Think your board will insist that he tries to extract more from the current squad before agreeing to make wholesale changes. In that sense, I would anticipate only 2-3 signings and not necessarily the kind that will fire the supporters' imaginations. They'll probably be the sort that are highly disciplined and have a work ethic from which others can learn; he'll thus likely pick players with whom he has had positive experiences. Not a gambling man, but I suspect Aubameyang could be the top scorer in England next season. He's settled fairly quickly and just seems to have that knack of being in the right place at the right time. It might be the only thing you win, however. ;-)

I definitely fear them more now than I did with Wenger in charge but I don't think they'll be a threat to us for at least one or two years.

Think your board will insist that he tries to extract more from the current squad before agreeing to make wholesale changes. In that sense, I would anticipate only 2-3 signings and not necessarily the kind that will fire the supporters' imaginations. They'll probably be the sort that are highly disciplined and have a work ethic from which others can learn; he'll thus likely pick players with whom he has had positive experiences. Not a gambling man, but I suspect Aubameyang could be the top scorer in England next season. He's settled fairly quickly and just seems to have that knack of being in the right place at the right time. It might be the only thing you win, however. ;-)

I'd be content with that. I don't expect wholesale changes, it's just not feasible for us just now. I think main positions will be a no nonsense,dependable centre back (such as Sokratis), & another midfielder. Depending on how they see the likes of Mustafi & Chambers, & because of Koscielny's injury, maybe a 2nd centre back (Soyuncu?). After that if budget is ok a goalkeeper, we seem to be linked with Leno a fair bit. I very doubt we'll see any 'big names' this summer.

I definitely fear them more now than I did with Wenger in charge but I don't think they'll be a threat to us for at least one or two years.

Don't think you'll have anything to worry about for a while yet mate.

Apparantly they're going to catch us with a new manager. 37 points and 55 goals behind says it's unlikely.

Last edited:
I read the other day that Gazidis is a blue. Brought up in manc, apparently. Is this true? Anybody knew him? Apologies if previously discussed.

Apparantly they're going to catch us with a new manager. 37 points and 55 goals behind says it's unlikely.

Don't know anyone in their right mind that would think that currently.

I read the other day that Gazidis is a blue. Brought up in manc, apparently. Is this true? Anybody knew him? Apologies if previously discussed.

Think your right, born in Joberg, brought up in Manchester.

In his youth he was. He probably hates the sight of us now.

Moreover, do they (Arsenal's owners) really even care? Seems to me Arsenal is just a business; make top 4 each year and all is well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.