City Till I Die
Born To Be Blue
All with sub heading
The Inside story of Manchester City's Legandary Fan's
Finaly
Manchester City The Fans Story
From the 50s to The Present
Cracking Stories about City fans by City Fans
"best team in the land and all the world" seems the obvious one to me.

Please make sure someone proof reads and edits it correctly. Some of the spelling and punctuation on here is beyond shite
hehehehehehehehehe.

without question, your way with words, grammar and spelling are all excellent, blue.
however, forgive me, but i cannot resist this one...

grammarpolice.jpg

proofread is all one word.

I was always taught not to begin a sentence with 'And', as it's not grammatically acceptable. :-)
and your teacher was full of shit, mate.
there is absolutely no foundation, historical or grammatical, to that belief.

‘And the idea that and must not begin a sentence, or even a paragraph, is an empty superstition.
The same goes for but.
Indeed either word can give unimprovably early warning of the sort of thing that is to follow.’
Kingsley Amis, The King’s English (1997)

‘Contrary to what your high school English teacher told you, there’s no reason not to begin a sentence with but or and;
in fact, these words often make a sentence more forceful and graceful.
They are almost always better than beginning with however or additionally.’
Professor Jack Lynch, Associate Professor of English, Rutgers University, New Jersey

‘There used to be an idea that it was inelegant to begin a sentence with and.
That idea is now as good as dead.
And to use and in this position may be a useful way of indicating that what you are about to say will reinforce what you have just said.’
Sir Ernest Gowers, The Complete Plain Words (1954)

‘There is a persistent belief that it is improper to begin a sentence with and, but this prohibition has been cheerfully ignored by standard authors from Anglo-Saxon times onwards.’
RW Burchfield, New Fowler’s Modern English Usage

and your teacher was full of shit, mate.
there is absolutely no foundation, historical or grammatical, to that belief.

‘And the idea that and must not begin a sentence, or even a paragraph, is an empty superstition.
The same goes for but.
Indeed either word can give unimprovably early warning of the sort of thing that is to follow.’
Kingsley Amis, The King’s English (1997)

‘Contrary to what your high school English teacher told you, there’s no reason not to begin a sentence with but or and;
in fact, these words often make a sentence more forceful and graceful.
They are almost always better than beginning with however or additionally.’
Professor Jack Lynch, Associate Professor of English, Rutgers University, New Jersey

‘There used to be an idea that it was inelegant to begin a sentence with and.
That idea is now as good as dead.
And to use and in this position may be a useful way of indicating that what you are about to say will reinforce what you have just said.’
Sir Ernest Gowers, The Complete Plain Words (1954)

‘There is a persistent belief that it is improper to begin a sentence with and, but this prohibition has been cheerfully ignored by standard authors from Anglo-Saxon times onwards.’
RW Burchfield, New Fowler’s Modern English Usage
Mr Smith is probably dead now, but you can track down his dependants & have it out with them if you like? :-)

TBH mate, he was a brilliant teacher who captivated our class and I did as taught and managed to survive several decades since abiding by that rule. HOWEVER & ADDITIONALLY, I will take your view on board. :-)

Mr Smith is probably dead now, but you can track down his dependants & have it out with them if you like? :-)

TBH mate, he was a brilliant teacher who captivated our class and I did as taught and managed to survive several decades since abiding by that rule. HOWEVER & ADDITIONALLY, I will take your view on board. :-)
i was only messing, mate.
any teacher who is capable of captivating a class is unquestionably worthy of praise and fond memories.

none of us, teachers or pupils, can claim to know anything close to everything (though some folk on here do).
we all make mistakes in life based on assumptions or incorrect information.
but for me the english language is great fun and we should be free to play with it as we sit fit.
no one owns it, after all.
it is ours, individually and collectively, so long as we follow a few obvious guidelines.
rules and regulations would genuinely hamper the creativity of great writers.

i was lucky enough to be taught by someone with the attitude, "if the rules are shit, ignore them."
that probably makes me a contrary grammar nazi.

i was only messing, mate.
any teacher who is capable of captivating a class is unquestionably worthy of praise and fond memories.

none of us, teachers or pupils, can claim to know anything close to everything (though some folk on here do).
we all make mistakes in life based on assumptions or incorrect information.
but for me the english language is great fun and we should be free to play with it as we sit fit.
no one owns it, after all.
it is ours, individually and collectively, so long as we follow a few obvious guidelines.
rules and regulations would genuinely hamper the creativity of great writers.

i was lucky enough to be taught by someone with the attitude, "if the rules are shit, ignore them."
that probably makes me a contrary grammar nazi.
Mate I loved English and could never understand why people who spoke it everyday struggled in the lesson! Lol

Our school was erm..... Let's say more than a bit lively, but Mr Smith's English classes were an oasis of learning. When we had to do the classics; knowing that most of us would probably not bother reading them, he read them out in class. It was like Jackanory and I loved it! He characterised all the voices and made English something to look forward too.

Like myself, he challenged convention and always drilled into our heads that English was a constantly evolving language and not an exact science. I remember one time he told me of an argument which went through all his studies at university as to which was correct; a Scotsman or a Scotch man? He claimed & provided evidence that it was grammatically correct calling a man born in Scotland a Scotch Man. I was fascinated with shit like that as a kid! lol :-)

One thing that always makes me laugh is when he used the term 'Grammatically Correct'. Years ago my eldest was talking & I was correcting his grammar, & after a frustrating time I said to him 'Your grammar is terrible!'....... The little sod went & told his maternal Grandma that I said she was terrible, which caused some proper shit when she next saw me. As per, I couldn't get a word in edgeways for me to explain what actually happened!!! Looool :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.