New Brexit thread (with added poll)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ric, 3 Sep 2017.

?

If the Brexit referendum was held now, how would you vote?

1. Remain

539 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Leave

351 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Undecided

26 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Vic

Vic

Got it. It's a Theresa reference. "The Syrian" is an anagram of "her sanity".

2. Len Rum

Len Rum

bedpan Brexit ?

3. RabidCity

RabidCity

My response was rude, I apologise.

4. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

You'd assume wrong then.

5. Vic

Vic

Thanks RabidCity but no apology needed for my schoolboy error (and I got Grade 2 Maths O level too).

The point was to highlight mcfc's apparent joy at the shortfall in the EU budget (especially as he seemed to think the latest Eurostat splitting of stats had a direct bearing on the EU's problem of how to make up the shortfall from the UK's net contributions). The stats actually show that the UK had been doing quite well within the EU (relative to other members' GDP) but we've already ruined that even before we leave.

Now I do expect him to be rude, and vulgar.

6. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

7. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

So - Len - when I was asking you for some consistency - I had something else in mind other than this claptrap..

Or - let's see - perhaps there is some validity to a claim of consistency - all you have ever posted with regards to the economy is just a load of made up doom and gloom speculation. Even that is posted in a rather childish manner and of course devoid of any facts - probably because to actually deal with the facts invites consideration of some inconvenient truths.

That would fit with your inability to comment - despite claims that you would - on all the troubles facing the EU and how they are struggling to 'maintain their authority - and there is even serious discussion going on about reducing to a 'core' of countries. Also, of course there is all the issues in setting the next budget cycle now that they cannot depend on our money.

All inconvenient truths I am sure to an EU acolyte that does not want to see the cracks that are appearing everywhere......

Last edited: 16 Apr 2018
  8. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

TBF - you are correct that I was indeed replying to a post from you - I had thought that it was Len

But I think that it is entirely fair to claim some mitigation because of what was being addressed made it an easy mistake to make.

I have been pointing out that some of the 'arch-Remainers' are incapable of debating areas of substance that highlight the difficulties (some crises) occurring for the EU all across its membership.

Instead they run for cover and hide behind tales of economic doom and gloom claiming that such matters are not of interest for them. Strange that really when the issues demonstrate that the EU is on a very rocky trajectory and therefore it is not going to remain this 'land of milk and honey' that the acolytes view it to be at the moment. Inconvenient truths are to be avoided at all costs and inventing doom and gloom projections the 'shield of choice'.

Yes you were right - on this occasion I was replying to a post of yours - but I can think that most people would be able to understand why I was thinking that it was one of Len's - afterall just look at his latest prevarication

9. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

I do not take any particular 'glee' from bad news for the EU - in fact I want the EU to remain stable for a good few years as when the next economic crisis hits we will also suffer - I want a good few years between our withdrawal and the EU's implosion.

It really has been a Remainer trait, IMO, to take 'glee' at anything that affects the UK negatively - be it in commenting on the EU and their approach to negotiations in tones dripping in admiration and ready acceptance that the UK should just be a subservient supplicant - to the doom and gloom economic predictions of vested interest groups.

It makes me smile to see you try and turn this around

10. mcfc1632

mcfc1632

Well - there goes you amply demonstrating your understanding of the EU - its history and recent activities - for all to see. No more to be said really.

My points were:

1. Who has been planning the undermining / removal of nationhood states over decades - insidiously increasing their control through treaty after treaty?

2. Aligned but also separate - who really benefits from the constant availability of ever cheaper Labour and the ability to bind countries collectively into arrangements such as TTIP?